Gibbs has announced his commitment to bama

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Good thing you’ll never have to depend on him in a “pinch”. You aren’t going to war with him. You aren’t going to be in the apocalypse with him. You won’t ever be on the same team as him. He’ll never work for the same company you do. That’s such a weak argument. Why does it matter if YOU think you can’t depend on him. You don’t even know him.

He didn’t “quit” on his team. And once again, you aren’t on his team so why does it matter if he did? Without Gibbs we probably win 1 game in each of the previous 2 seasons, and get blown out many more times. The dude was the team. You were right when you said it was entertainment for the fans. But you forgot about the part where it’s real life for the players. The same fans that are criticizing Gibbs for “quitting” on the team are the ones who stopped buying tickets, stopped donating to GTAA, stopped watching on TV, stopped buying merch, etc. That’s quitting on the team. Not wanting to get beat up for no reason isn’t. If Gibbs actually quit on the team he wouldn’t have even traveled to Notre Dame or suited up against Georgia
First off, you presume too much when you decide that I (or others who are less than tickled at the way he behaved in the UGA game) stopped my support of the program. So that argument is not only weak, it is fallacious and malicious. Ad hominin attacks don't help you.

He probably doesn't care what I think of him at all. But he is in the entertainment business, so his customer's opinion does matter, doesn't it? I was a fan of his entertainment, so whether he (or you) want to acknowledge it, I am a customer.

My personal opinion is that deciding that his health was more important than the health of all the other player's is pretty much the definition of quitting on your teammates. You don't think that they, too, didn't want a career-ending injury? I'm thankful we have players that stuck it out and were good teammates.

How you handle the little things in life is usually a pretty good indication of how you'd handle the big things.

I'm out on this. You have your opinion, I have mine.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone's got to be who they are and live with the way it makes others see them. We are fans and it is entertainment for us. If he can't take fans having an opinion he should make another career choice.

Do I blame him for leaving? Nope, like I said if he doesn't want to be here then both he and I are happy he's gone.

Do I think differently about his character after he gave up on his teammates to look out for himself? Yes, yes I do. I don't think it makes him evil, but he's not someone I'd want to have to depend on in a pinch.

What I can't get is those of you who say it's not a big deal to quit on your team in the middle of a fight. I guess that way of life is dying.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're implying Gibbs quit on the team. I personally disagree. While I think someone who leaves mid-season could probably be labeled as someone who 'quit on their team', I wouldn't label Gibbs' transfer in-between seasons that way. Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but it brings up the questions: Do you think all players who transfer are 'quitting on their team'? And if not, how do you distinguish between what Gibbs is doing and what other 'non-team-quitting' transfers do?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're implying Gibbs quit on the team. I personally disagree. While I think someone who leaves mid-season could probably be labeled as someone who 'quit on their team', I wouldn't label Gibbs' transfer in-between seasons that way. Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but it brings up the questions: Do you think all players who transfer are 'quitting on their team'? And if not, how do you distinguish between what Gibbs is doing and what other 'non-team-quitting' transfers do?
Nothing to do with him transferring. I'm fine with him transferring if that's what he wants. But, if it is true that he only played a couple of plays in the UGA because he didn't want to get hurt and mess up him potential transfer.... then yes, yes, I do think that would fall into the 'quitting on the team.'

Now, he's never said that he didn't want to play, but there has been zero info that he was actually injured at all. So the general belief is that he pulled himself out of that game. If I'm wrong about that, then I'll more than happily retract my opinion as I'm actually hoping that it isn't true.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Seems you're coming into the middle of the conversation and adding your 2 cents without understanding the discussion. The comment is about Gibbs not playing the rest of the uga game because he didn't want to get hurt, knowing he was leaving the team. It had nothing to do with transferring after the season.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems you're coming into the middle of the conversation and adding your 2 cents without understanding the discussion. The comment is about Gibbs not playing the rest of the uga game because he didn't want to get hurt, knowing he was leaving the team. It had nothing to do with transferring after the season.
Yeah, my mistake. I kinda doubt things happened exactly that way at the UGA game, but I have no inside info. I do think our team as a whole might need to learn to play through bumps and bruises a little better, though. I'm tired of seeing players lying down on the field and stopping the game with upper extremity injuries. But I digress...

Best of luck to Gibbs. If our offensive line improves as much as I hope it can (need one more quality OT transfer), then our production from the RB position will actually improve even with the loss of Gibbs. Reminds me of what happened to the Tech basketball team the year after Chris Bosh left.

Last edited:

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, my mistake. I kinda doubt things happened exactly that way at the UGA game, but I have no inside info. I do think our team as a whole might need to learn to play through bumps and bruises a little better, though. I'm tired of seeing players lying down on the field and stopping the game with upper extremity injuries. But I digress...

Best of luck to Gibbs. If our offensive line improves as much as I hope it can (need one more quality OT transfer), then our production from the RB position will actually improve even with the loss of Gibbs. Reminds me of what happened to the Tech basketball team the year after Chris Bosh left.
I was listening to the radio broadcast that day and it was mentioned that Gibbs got banged up pretty bad one of the early carries up the middle. I don’t believe he was trying to avoid injury.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

I noticed that every time the opposition breaks a big play, someone on our D lays down and is "hurt". They usually aren't injured, they are coached to lie down to theoretically kill the other team's momentum. Note to whoever came up with the idea - it doesn't help.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
My personal opinion is that deciding that his health was more important than the health of all the other player's is pretty much the definition of quitting on your teammates.
This is the only thing I have an issue with. You’re running with an unsubstantiated rumor started by a disgruntled fan on this board as if it’s fact.

It could be true, but to assume it is without any knowledge of it being so seems like a reach. Especially when the guy has shown no other propensity for being a selfish “look at me” guy.

In fact he’s been quite the opposite. Even when he was the hottest recruit in the country coming out of HS he didn’t make a big deal about it. He also leveraged his skills and recruiting interest to get a person he was close to and lived with a PWO opportunity at GT which I can almost guarantee wouldn't have happened with our him.

If he did happen to pull himself out of the game, I would be a little disappointed.

It’s much more likely that he did get banged up but had already told Collins he was leaving.

Collins being a player friendly coach and someone who claims to love his players (I think he actually does), took it upon himself to protect Gibbs from potentially hurting himself gutting it out to give him the best chance for his future.

Or it could be he was just genuinely hurt and the team doctors said he couldn’t play. We don’t really know and may never.

I’m going to err on the side of the kid who’s always seemed humble and puts in the work.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to be that guy that keeps bringing up CPJ. But I don't think Gibbs heart was ever at GT based on what was being said when he was being recruited. CPJ always said he recruited people that fit in here and wanted to be here. I don't think this guy ever wanted to be here. I could be wrong, but that is the way I see it. Best of luck to Gibbs, I'm still happy he suited up for GT. I hope he has a very successful career.
No. Gibbs was all in. Once he committed he stuck with it. Wrong , wrong…that’s sour grapes

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
He didn’t want to be here? He only came here over every school in the country. There was a vision and goal that seemed achievable when he commited and then signed here. It didn’t pan out. You seriously think Jahmyr leaves if we win 10 and play in a big bowl? He’s a once in a generation caliber player for Tech, it just so happens he got unlucky with probably the worst era of Tech football ever. This was not a “man I never liked tech get me out of here” decision. This was 2 years of 3 wins, my position coach is leaving, I have one year to ball out and make the NFL decision.
Steam whistle is 100% correct. The young man never blinked.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a feeling Choice knew he was leaving himself before gibbs announced. When choice privately told the running back room we saw people declare to transfer. They managed to talk griffen back. But gibbs came here to play for Choice and learn from choice not because he was thinking about a 40 year plan or anything like that.
He came to a school, busted his tale on and off the field for a position coach……oooookkkkkkkk

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Gibbs doesnt want to be a Tech grad. Dont see what the issue is. He didn't quit just took the easy way out.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
This is the only thing I have an issue with. You’re running with an unsubstantiated rumor started by a disgruntled fan on this board as if it’s fact.

It could be true, but to assume it is without any knowledge of it being so seems like a reach. Especially when the guy has shown no other propensity for being a selfish “look at me” guy.

In fact he’s been quite the opposite. Even when he was the hottest recruit in the country coming out of HS he didn’t make a big deal about it. He also leveraged his skills and recruiting interest to get a person he was close to and lived with a PWO opportunity at GT which I can almost guarantee wouldn't have happened with our him.

If he did happen to pull himself out of the game, I would be a little disappointed.

It’s much more likely that he did get banged up but had already told Collins he was leaving.

Collins being a player friendly coach and someone who claims to love his players (I think he actually does), took it upon himself to protect Gibbs from potentially hurting himself gutting it out to give him the best chance for his future.

Or it could be he was just genuinely hurt and the team doctors said he couldn’t play. We don’t really know and may never.

I’m going to err on the side of the kid who’s always seemed humble and puts in the work.
All quite possible and as I say, I hope that's true. All along I've tried to be consistent in saying "if the rumors are true that is really disappointing." If I've slipped up and not added that caveat anywhere I apologize. I was really expressing my dismay at the thought of any GT football player 'ringing the bell' while his teammates were still in the fight.

My only disagreement was with people who said that if it was true it wouldn't be 'quitting on your teammates?' It's one thing to not play in a bowl game when you are declaring for the draft. I don't like it but the bowl games are not really part of the season. But to stop playing part-way through the season simply because you don't care anymore and are worried about yourself isn't something I can easily overlook in people I cheer for.

Last edited: