Gibbs has announced his commitment to bama

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Not to be that guy that keeps bringing up CPJ. But I don't think Gibbs heart was ever at GT based on what was being said when he was being recruited. CPJ always said he recruited people that fit in here and wanted to be here. I don't think this guy ever wanted to be here. I could be wrong, but that is the way I see it. Best of luck to Gibbs, I'm still happy he suited up for GT. I hope he has a very successful career.

I don’t see that at all. I think losing 16 games drove him crazy as it would any strong competitor.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wish him all the best. It's going to be awesome to see what he can do with equivalent weapons around him. Last year we had 4 good to great running backs. Now we have 2. Looking for the silver lining here but I sometimes felt we tried too hard to spread the load. I like seeing fewer players (RB's) touch the ball. I think they are like shooters in BB, it's hard to get in a rythmm going in and out. (Of course, I wished he had stayed but as has been mentioned many times, it's easier to find RB's than linemen or QB's.)

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just not sure how he will do - don't get me wrong, he's good and will play - but as their #1 back I'm just not sure. He is very fast and probably the best in the country on wheel routes and out of the backfield. As a return man, maybe the best in country. Running up the middle and breaking tackles, not so sure on him yet. Maybe a good move by him to see how good is he against the best. Wish him the best. And he said he was tired of losing, he won't lose much any more.
hard to determine that based on what he did at Tech. at least at Bama, he will have something that resembles a functioning OL compared to the dumpster fire Tech has

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article on this from CBSSports

Suggests Bill O'Brien might use him as a jack of all trades in the offense.

I also thnk this is a very pertinent statement.
Saban admitted last offseason that the "free agency" aspect the transfer portal brings is a cause for concern, but he would use it to the best of his ability. He wasn't lying. Wide receiver Jameson Williams was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award one year after transferring from Ohio State and linebacker Henry To'o To'o was a second-team All-SEC performer after leaving Tennessee. Ex-LSU defensive back Eli Ricks already chose to move over from Baton Rouge to Tuscaloosa earlier this week, and now Gibbs is making the trek west to play for Saban. Saban has lived up to his word and has essentially turned the 129 other FBS teams into minor league affiliates of the Crimson Tide.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I'm just not sure how he will do - don't get me wrong, he's good and will play - but as their #1 back I'm just not sure. He is very fast and probably the best in the country on wheel routes and out of the backfield. As a return man, maybe the best in country. Running up the middle and breaking tackles, not so sure on him yet. Maybe a good move by him to see how good is he against the best. Wish him the best. And he said he was tired of losing, he won't lose much any more.
Jamaal Charles/Kamara was/is fine at running up the middle and breaking tackles in the NFL. He’ll also have much better holes with a BAMA OL.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Bama likes to throw to their running backs and Gibbs will be scary good in that offense.
Yes, I think he'll be a great target. I agree with whoever said that I'm not convinced in his ability to pound it up the middle. And certainly don't see him as a up-the-middle guy in the NFL. I think his best bet is to be slot-type back. I'm sure he'll do well.

I hate to lose him, but I don't want anyone here whose heart isn't here as well. Like I tell my employees...put your resume on the street and if you feel you can do better, then go for it. I don't want anyone on the team who feels like they settled to be on it.

JacketFan137

Banned
y’all complaining about him not being able to run up the middle like he’s going to a team from the 70s running power I.

bama runs a modern offense with a lot of zone concepts. if the saints can effectively use kamara in the nfl, and shanahan can effectively use smaller body RBs like freeman, and the guys in san fran, i’m sure saban will figure something out lol

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Roll Tide. Unfortunately a logical decision to leave GT and bama is perfect IMO. Not ACC, not the sesspool, going to a. team most likely to spoil sesspool’s season.
I enjoy watching bama, great football, heard their fans can be obnoxious but the folks I know are fine. Bama is so used to winning they take it in stride, vs others we can think of who go into total blowhard/flags on their f150 mode for winning the weak sec east.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Did we ever find out why he sat at the end of the UGA game? Was he hurt or just done? In any event, loved Gibbs while he was here, sorry he is gone and I will miss watching him, but believe in Dontae.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Did we ever find out why he sat at the end of the UGA game? Was he hurt or just done? In any event, loved Gibbs while he was here, sorry he is gone and I will miss watching him, but believe in Dontae.
I believe he didn’t want to get hurt and lose some of his transfer stock by playing. Did you see what uga did to him on the only two plays he had in the game. They absolutely stone him and with our o line play that would of been probably all day and he just didn’t want to risk it.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe he didn’t want to get hurt and lose some of his transfer stock by playing. Did you see what uga did to him on the only two plays he had in the game. They absolutely stone him and with our o line play that would of been probably all day and he just didn’t want to risk it.
Hope that’s not true. But if it is, that’s pretty weak.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
A little off the topic of this thread but is the Ross guy (Dusty Ross’ son & close friend of Gibbs) still on the GT Football team? I scrolled through the team roster for 22-23 and didn’t see his name but may have missed it. Didn’t know if he’s transferred or is still enrolled at GT and is just no longer playing football?