Gibbs has announced his commitment to bama

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I was chatting with a friend who is a die hard Bama fan and he said that the RBs they have right now are all between the tackles kind of backs. Gibbs gives them an out in space, receiving, and home run threat that they don't have and he will thrive there. I would not be surprised if he is on the field more than any other back next year.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
not really. this isn’t rec ball. millions of dollars are at risk getting hurt in a pointless game
millions of dollar were at risk for him. but even if we were 6-6 or 10-2 or heck, even 12-0, millions of dollars were still at risk. Getting hurt in any of those scenarios would not have made the player somehow better off.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
millions of dollar were at risk for him. but even if we were 6-6 or 10-2 or heck, even 12-0, millions of dollars were still at risk. Getting hurt in any of those scenarios would not have made the player somehow better off.
There would still be something to play for in those scenarios. Being 3-8 and playing an unwinnable game is no reason to risk a serious injury when you’ve already got an idea you’re leaving anyway. He had nothing more to prove and nothing to gain from playing in that game. How hard is it to just wish him luck and move on?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact is Gibbs is just just like every big time player in the state of Georgia they dream of playing for UGA. When they didn’t show much love to him until late in the process he got pissed and he wants to show them what they missed out on. He wants to prove to them that they made a mistake and they can kiss his *** and He finally realize that wasn’t going to happen at tech so he choose Alabama Bc he knows they will probably meet next year in the sec championship to show them where they can stick it. If it was all about making it to the nfl he would of stayed at tech Bc he knows if he stays productive he will make it to the nfl. This is just simply trying to prove a point to his dream school that they missed out.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs does not have to be a feature back at Bama to have a bright NFL future. Plenty of guys splitting carries at places like that, UGA, etc. where it might even be preferable to their future, entering the league with fewer miles on the tires. His skill set will be highly valuable for Bama but even more coveted at the next level. Think of him as weapon, not RB.

slugboy

Staff member
Gibbs is a running back. He’ll get handoffs, he’ll get pitches, he’ll catch passes. He’s a Kamara-style player. At Alabama, he may not take all the snaps but I expect him to take about the same percentage there that he took here.
He definitely had other offers. If he had any reason to believe he wouldn’t be a feature running back, he could have gone to any top 15 team he wanted. He could have gone up the road to Clemson. USC or Oregon would have taken him.
Saban doesn’t want a disgruntled player taking up space on the 85 player roster. It is not in his interest to tell a player that he’s a RB if he’s going to use him in the slot. If I were Gibbs, I’d have asked any coach recruiting me if I was going to be at RB.
If I were Saban, I’d tell a player the truth. A player who has been lied to isn’t going to give 100%, and Saban wants players giving 100%. Saban doesn’t need the portal for backups or for novelty players—he can get a 5* backup from high school. If he recruited Gibbs, it’s to play RB.
Gibbs won’t be guaranteed the starting position, but I’m sure he got a clear assessment of where he would stand compared to other players.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
There were rumors last year that Gibbs was considering transferring. The rumors came from inside the locker room. So no surprise he pulled the trigger.

On one hand I get it. He didn't get much blocking support. On the other hand, show some loyalty to your teammates who are busting their butts to the best of their ability. Quitting during the uga game doesn't show a good attitude. If he didn't want to play, he should have put his name in the portal the week before the game and not wasted the team's prep time.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Even if he had a career day vs the mutts, we still would've lost. IF he did quit, that's on him and he has to live with it while making bank. IF he really was hurt, and his history shows he probably was, then it's the game of football and he'll still make bank.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
There were rumors last year that Gibbs was considering transferring. The rumors came from inside the locker room. So no surprise he pulled the trigger.

On one hand I get it. He didn't get much blocking support. On the other hand, show some loyalty to your teammates who are busting their butts to the best of their ability. Quitting during the uga game doesn't show a good attitude. If he didn't want to play, he should have put his name in the portal the week before the game and not wasted the team's prep time.
I'm just guessing, but I figure the only thing that was 'hurt' was his feelings after getting yelled at for screwing up the opening kickoff return so badly. Again, just putting two and three together, but it wouldn't surprise me that his heart wasn't in it anyway since he had already decided to go play for a winner rather than help make a winner. Then he embarrassed himself on the kickoff and he said "Screw it, these guys are on their own. I'm out."

I wish him the best, but if he doesn't want to be here then I'm glad he left.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The fact is Gibbs is just just like every big time player in the state of Georgia they dream of playing for UGA. When they didn’t show much love to him until late in the process he got pissed and he wants to show them what they missed out on. He wants to prove to them that they made a mistake and they can kiss his *** and He finally realize that wasn’t going to happen at tech so he choose Alabama Bc he knows they will probably meet next year in the sec championship to show them where they can stick it. If it was all about making it to the nfl he would of stayed at tech Bc he knows if he stays productive he will make it to the nfl. This is just simply trying to prove a point to his dream school that they missed out.
Nice story. Would read again. 👍

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They make a big show all year about family and brotherhood and going to battle for your brothers. but at the end of the day it’s really all about “me.” I don’t mind that actually, just don’t pretend it’s otherwise.

Wouldn't you want your brothers to be in the best position for them to succeed, even if it's not here?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Some of y’all are so petty about 17-22 year olds’ decisions on where they want to go to school and play football. Grow up. Y’all wanna talk about brotherhood and family and staying committed to the team when the overwhelming majority of you never played a sport after junior high. It’s not your decision and you aren’t on the team so why do you care so much that you attack someone’s character? And it’s not just Tech fans, it happens with everybody’s fans when somebody transfers, or signs with a different team in the pros. I don’t understand how grown adults can be so immature.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of y’all are so petty about 17-22 year olds’ decisions on where they want to go to school and play football. Grow up. Y’all wanna talk about brotherhood and family and staying committed to the team when the overwhelming majority of you never played a sport after junior high. It’s not your decision and you aren’t on the team so why do you care so much that you attack someone’s character? And it’s not just Tech fans, it happens with everybody’s fans when somebody transfers, or signs with a different team in the pros. I don’t understand how grown adults can be so immature.
The same people are the ones talking about giving up season tickets and bashing the program right and left.

All they have to do is show up to games or watch on tv and they’re talking about bailing.

Gibbs spent 2 years grinding through practices, school, games…etc and was essentially our whole offense.

Am I happy he’s leaving? no. Do I get it? Yes.

Heck, I was no where near at Gibbs level and I considered it after one season and one summer playing with guys from other schools in the Cape.

You can be a team guy and also try and put yourself in the best position possible.

There’s just as much, if nothing more talk about Gibbs turning down NIL deals as there is about him potentially sitting the rest of the dwag game because he was leaving and not hurt.

By all accounts he seems like a great kid. In all honesty, he reminds me of BayBay. Elite talents that doesn’t try and bring attention to himself. Quiet kid who has the respect of his peers. Puts in the work.

I hate he’s leaving, but glad he’s going to Bama and hope he has a career day when they play the leg humpers.

Edit to add: I’ve yet to see anyone bash CTC for leaving. In fact, there’s an almost consensus that it was a great decision by him. Some saying it’s a great career move while the haters say it was smart to get off a burning ship. Seems a bit like a double standard to hold an athlete to a standard you’re not going to hold to a coach.

I think both of them made wise decisions that I don’t like. I wish they both stayed, but get why both left and think it was a smart move.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

It's hard to draw that balance between wanting to see your team succeed/win and acknowledging these are just kids playing a game.

Oftentimes, the decisions they make run contrary to what we think is best for the team. We all have those lapses where we get too critical, forgetting the human side of things.

I like to think most of us reign it in eventually.

I have a kid who plays a team sport and what we've learned is that, to get the exposure he needs, he'll have to change clubs. It will not be well received by the other kids/parents but, at the end of the day, it's the right thing.

Our decision is nowhere near the level Gibbs and his family faced. But I can imagine how it could be pretty agonizing internally although, from the outside, seem callously made.

Most of us will continue to wish Gibbs well. Kid gave us 2 great years.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The same people are the ones talking about giving up season tickets and bashing the program right and left.

All they have to do is show up to games or watch on tv and they’re talking about bailing.

Gibbs spent 2 years grinding through practices, school, games…etc and was essentially our whole offense.

Am I happy he’s leaving? no. Do I get it? Yes.

Heck, I was no where near at Gibbs level and I considered it after one season and one summer playing with guys from other schools in the Cape.

I think both of them made wise decisions that I don’t like. I wish they both stayed, but get why both left and think it was a smart move.
Everyone's got to be who they are and live with the way it makes others see them. We are fans and it is entertainment for us. If he can't take fans having an opinion he should make another career choice.

Do I blame him for leaving? Nope, like I said if he doesn't want to be here then both he and I are happy he's gone.

Do I think differently about his character after he gave up on his teammates to look out for himself? Yes, yes I do. I don't think it makes him evil, but he's not someone I'd want to have to depend on in a pinch.

What I can't get is those of you who say it's not a big deal to quit on your team in the middle of a fight. I guess that way of life is dying.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do I think differently about his character after he gave up on his teammates to look out for himself? Yes, yes I do. I don't think it makes him evil, but he's not someone I'd want to have to depend on in a pinch.
Good thing you’ll never have to depend on him in a “pinch”. You aren’t going to war with him. You aren’t going to be in the apocalypse with him. You won’t ever be on the same team as him. He’ll never work for the same company you do. That’s such a weak argument. Why does it matter if YOU think you can’t depend on him. You don’t even know him.
What I can't get is those of you who say it's not a big deal to quit on your team in the middle of a fight. I guess that way of life is dying.
He didn’t “quit” on his team. And once again, you aren’t on his team so why does it matter if he did? Without Gibbs we probably win 1 game in each of the previous 2 seasons, and get blown out many more times. The dude was the team. You were right when you said it was entertainment for the fans. But you forgot about the part where it’s real life for the players. The same fans that are criticizing Gibbs for “quitting” on the team are the ones who stopped buying tickets, stopped donating to GTAA, stopped watching on TV, stopped buying merch, etc. That’s quitting on the team. Not wanting to get beat up for no reason isn’t. If Gibbs actually quit on the team he wouldn’t have even traveled to Notre Dame or suited up against Georgia