"Getting back to what we do...."

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
His quickness makes the defense respect. Vad was always slow in his lateral movement.

Exactly! The TO depends on not only good perimeter blocking but also a qb's ability to get in place for the pitch-out, if needed, before the defender can get there and prevent it. Speed is a critical need and JT's got it. This speed helps the timing of the TO.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I was happy because I knew JT was a perfect fit for this offense. I was one who though we should have put him in last year. His quickness makes the defense respect. Vad was always slow in his lateral movement. He reminded of Luellen, who was a 4 star QB we got, and didn't pan out. This system wasn't mean for those guys, its meant for JT and people like him. I just hope we can identify more JT's
I think we have had no problem identifying them but signing them has been the issue. Nick Marshall was a hot item and the Mitchell kid that ended up at Arkansas both would have been great in this offense. My hope is that JTs play will help kids with similar skill visualize being in his shoes (on the front of SI) and in the talk about one of our previous coaches (Heisman) awards.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Not taking anything away from JT, as I think he is one of, if not the best QB Johnson has ever had in this offense, but I think we would have done well with Byerly too. Maybe not 10 games, but we would have had a solid year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Blocking was aided by desire and the relative health of the O-line. That'll help the running and passing game. If the hosses upfront are pourous, even good QB's don't look so good. (Look at several Falcon's game and see how the QB fairs when passing under duress.)

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Blocking was aided by desire and the relative health of the O-line. That'll help the running and passing game. If the hosses upfront are pourous, even good QB's don't look so good. (Look at several Falcon's game and see how the QB fairs when passing under duress.)
Agreed. The QBs have both done well, the A backs have all done well and the B backs have each done well. Not taking away from any of them, but the common element behind all of that success has been the Oline.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Not taking anything away from JT, as I think he is one of, if not the best QB Johnson has ever had in this offense, but I think we would have done well with Byerly too. Maybe not 10 games, but we would have had a solid year.
I really like Byerly and wish he would get more playing time. Was surprised he was not put into Clemson game around the 4 minute mark. I think JT5 would be even more effective, if Byerly was used, to relieve JT5 for a drive in the first half, and one in 2nd. An improved defense might give CPJ more confidence to do this, and also to throw more often, which we should have done against FSU.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I cant say Vad's skillset wasnt a fit CPJ recruited him and he's done well with a similar O. I think the clash was here; "The triple option just isn't my thing", and that's all mental. He wasn't happy and thats fine both are better today for it.

Many teams run diamond formtions and to call it a gimmick in our offense doesn't make sense to me. I think in the future we'll see more plays from the gun ans may even see the hurry up they practiced all summer.
Vad looked even worse last year because the blocking in front, to his side, his behind, everywhere...wasn't near what it was this year. It wasn't just Vad that stunk last year.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't totally agree that Marshall would have been great in our offense. Make no mistake, he is a great player. But to be effective in our offense , a QB needs to be disciplined and trust the offense...in other words buy into it. IMO, Marshall and players like him are too " free-wheeling ", instinctual players who are most dangerous when the play breaks down. They tend to be too impatient to effectively run an offense that can require several decisions on each play. Thomas is perfect because he is smart, patient , doesn't get rattled and has completely bought into the system. PLUS he is tremendously talented . Like TW , plus more talent.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
JT has foot speed and moves that saved our bacon so much this year and which Byerly doesn't have but I believe Byerly's passing skills could have up for alot of what he lacks in the speed category.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we have had no problem identifying them but signing them has been the issue. Nick Marshall was a hot item and the Mitchell kid that ended up at Arkansas both would have been great in this offense. My hope is that JTs play will help kids with similar skill visualize being in his shoes (on the front of SI) and in the talk about one of our previous coaches (Heisman) awards.
How would CPJ handle a thief in the locker room?

http://www.macon.com/2013/11/11/2768771/nick-marshalls-long-and-winding.html

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This thread has pretty much captured the gamut of emotion. Count me as one who felt more confident after CPJ's comment. I was really disappointed with the offense under Vad Lee. I had hoped he would add another dimension to the offense while retaining the base offense. Turns out he was never comfortable with the base and the more he ran other parts of the offense the less effective he became at the base.

I like our current offense the best. Whenever I hear people wanting to add this or add that I groan. Understand what we have here. It is a pearl of great price not to be traded away or tinkered with. The only way to expand it is to continue to get better and better athletes to run it. The mind of CPJ and this offense are only limited by personnel, nothing else. This offense with top personnel has the potential to become a "destroyer of worlds."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This thread has pretty much captured the gamut of emotion. Count me as one who felt more confident after CPJ's comment. I was really disappointed with the offense under Vad Lee. I had hoped he would add another dimension to the offense while retaining the base offense. Turns out he was never comfortable with the base and the more he ran other parts of the offense the less effective he became at the base.

I like our current offense the best. Whenever I hear people wanting to add this or add that I groan. Understand what we have here. It is a pearl of great price not to be traded away or tinkered with. The only way to expand it is to continue to get better and better athletes to run it. The mind of CPJ and this offense are only limited by personnel, nothing else. This offense with top personnel has the potential to become a "destroyer of worlds."
I agree, but there are always wrinkles that you can add w/o changing the offense. That fake toss, qb bootleg was a thing of beauty in the FSU game. Wish we had run it more.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Offense this year was our best defense. Quick scores were not the recipe for wins. Improve the defense and coach will be looking to score 50 every week including exploiting more downfield big plays. When we had to "hold serve" it was all about first downs and controlling the clock.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not in a million years did i think this team would go 4-0 vs the main 4, one posession from winning the acc and being basically a top 10 team going into the orange bowl. I mean come on. This is about as much of a dream season as you can have at gt period. Its unreal.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
To run the u/c spread option well u have to commit to it and cant do it 'part time'. Coaches Who color commentate our games always say this and for me it became apparent last year late so I was glad to hear we were going back to what we're been most Successful with.
Agree if we are going to run it...run it. big thing though with JT vs Vad we can do more speed things and that is our strength.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I was tired of gimmick false option offense. I welcomed the announcement if only because it meant less of that. I agree that it was not all Vad's fault, in fact I'd argue that Vad was slow (comparatively) on the read and to the outside. That tendency was exacerbated by poor line play.

In fact, I think CPJ's flexbone is a much more complex (in the mathematical sense) system than people are used to talking about. Like the collapsed Canadian bridge, each element that year had some not ideal but not terrible attributes that combined created a critical failure.

I suspect that had we started last year with good to very good line play, we'd be talked about as a quirky under center variation of the Oregon offense with a different pass playbook. But we didn't, and some mental stuff with Vad, much of which I think is attributable to bad influences in his personal life, led to a negative feedback loop that kept him and us from performing to potential.

CPJ showed remarkable flexibility trying to adjust, but I was happy to hear that we would not be adjusting reactivly anymore.