"Getting back to what we do...."

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I loved hearing what he said. It made sense to me, and i trust CPJs assessment of the situation. Now I dont think that we shouldnt try other formations through JTs career. Hes special... I think the QB was the problem last year. JT i believe would have made more hay mixing it up. But the bread and butter of our offense is enough to put up a ton of points. I just like having a plan B just in case we run up against a dominant D.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I felt good about it too - CPJ has a knack for making the right ingame adjustments to win games. He just needed a QB who could execute the foundational plays. I think we will see more trickeration next season in limited spots because JeT get's this offense and we are going to be able to run more of the playbook. I am looking forward to CPJ giving JeT the ability to make more audibles at the line and check into other sets. Then we will be really rolling.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was the right thing to do. If Vad had stayed, I think he would have down better with the base O; he didn't have that bad a year as a first time starter. But there is no question that JT's skill set was better suited to what Coach wants us to do and, of course, that has proven out in spades this year. We finally have our own Ricky Dobbs!

I was apprehensive about how well JT would adapt to starting and I thought through the GSU game that it looked like I was right. Then came VT. That was when both JT and the rest of the O began to jell. Winning up there was a tremendous boost to the season and to confidence in our O; VT is really good on D, something we tend to forget given their overall record. Like Eric, however, I would never have had us going toe-to-toe with FSU or beating all of the big 4. It's been a great year.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was on the fence, but I did know that what we were doing last year wasn't working consistently. So I was okay with a change. One thing I was pretty sure of was that those who were saying that going back to our roots meant we were not going to pass much were wrong. We might or we might not. Every game is different and Paul can't tell you what he is gonna call until he sees the defense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I cant say Vad's skillset wasnt a fit CPJ recruited him and he's done well with a similar O. I think the clash was here; "The triple option just isn't my thing", and that's all mental. He wasn't happy and thats fine both are better today for it.

Many teams run diamond formtions and to call it a gimmick in our offense doesn't make sense to me. I think in the future we'll see more plays from the gun ans may even see the hurry up they practiced all summer.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@ATL1

I agree...I wouldnt rule out other formations for JT in the future.

I took getting back to basics to mean we are going to run the option well before anything else...no "fake options", etc but the real thing...once that is down then we could expand some...but the basic is going to be perfect first.

Thankfully JT doesnt care what it is...just wants to win.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was happy because I knew JT was a perfect fit for this offense. I was one who though we should have put him in last year. His quickness makes the defense respect. Vad was always slow in his lateral movement. He reminded of Luellen, who was a 4 star QB we got, and didn't pan out. This system wasn't mean for those guys, its meant for JT and people like him. I just hope we can identify more JT's
Makes me worried about Matthew Jordan a little bit. My hope is that he has the passing acumen of Thomas with the running ability of Nesbitt.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think JT was much better running the pistol stuff than Vad, personally. That's with a limited sample size, of course, but Vad's 2013 issues crossed formational boundaries. His huge drop in rushing effectiveness from 2012 (mostly under center) to 2013 (lots of pistol) speaks of a much deeper problem than simply not enjoying being under center.

Bad Vad wasn't bad at running the triple. He wasn't *good* either, but his problem was definitely not that he was somehow incapable of making an under center read on a defensive end.

I'm happy his transfer worked out well for him and for us.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Vad Lee leaving, the off-season attrition, and rumors of a CPJ buyout had me groaning before the season.

This is a special team the way they've rallied around each other to prove the naysayers wrong and to surprise all of us. Is it possible this year's team benefitted by addition from subtraction?

I am so very proud of this team. Their leadership, work ethic, effort, tenacity, and character are inspiring. It is easy to cheer for this team and coaching staff, win or lose.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was happy about getting back to doing what CPJ knows best. I am amazed at how well JT grasped the offense. Also surprised at how well our O line has played.

A large part of the team's success goes to the offseason work, much of which goes back to JT and TB, the centers, BBs, WRs, and the weight room work by the linemen.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
No doubt the S&C was well improved this year. I was happy to see the change. We played through a lot of adversity and didn't see leads slip away once we got them.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Vad Lee leaving, the off-season attrition, and rumors of a CPJ buyout had me groaning before the season.

This is a special team the way they've rallied around each other to prove the naysayers wrong and to surprise all of us. Is it possible this year's team benefitted by addition from subtraction?

I am so very proud of this team. Their leadership, work ethic, effort, tenacity, and character are inspiring. It is easy to cheer for this team and coaching staff, win or lose.

I guess we seen that the CPJ not happy here rumors were not true.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I figured it would take JT at least a year to get comfortable. To be honest, after the spring game I said here we go again. New QB and 5-7 losses. I am elated now.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Once I saw PJ say he was ready to get back to what we do, I was encouraged. I had a feeling after the Va Tech this could be set up for a special season.