"Getting back to what we do...."

Mack

Helluva Engineer
No groan from me....we dont do anything else but when we saw speed of JT it made the offense go in a big way.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
After seeing the way Vad ran the O last year I was happy. We aren't Auburn or Miss State or Ohio State and that was what Vad was trying to make us. We are much better doing what we did this season and the stats and record reflects that.

BTW: I was and still am a fan of Vad Lee, glad he had a great season at JMU.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I was happy/confused bc I didnt know what all that entailed. When heard that included get off-field CPJ. I posted in a thread in the summer that CPJ gotten a little soft/complacent after the initial success. I'm glad he is back to the disciplinarian and providing the structure needed to succeed

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
After seeing the way Vad ran the O last year I was happy. We aren't Auburn or Miss State or Ohio State and that was what Vad was trying to make us. We are much better doing what we did this season and the stats and record reflects that.

BTW: I was and still am a fan of Vad Lee, glad he had a great season at JMU.
Vad is a good kid, I'm happy for him, too. Boy, what a mess it would have been had he stuck around.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
To run the u/c spread option well u have to commit to it and cant do it 'part time'. Coaches Who color commentate our games always say this and for me it became apparent last year late so I was glad to hear we were going back to what we're been most Successful with.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I was excited to hear it since I enjoyed watching Southern during the Hamm days and loved their offense then. Candidly I have felt the offense was the strength of all CPJ teams but that Josh was a warrior who wasn't an option wizard and that Tevin ran the option very well but wasn't quite the game breaker athletically that we needed to consistently overcome our usual below average performance on defense. It was clear to me that having someone with special skills running this offense and having even an average defense would be something that can win championships. JT is still just a soph and there are solid reasons to be optimistic regarding both defense and recruiting. That equals exciting times ahead and I am still predicting a Sports Illustrated article on "The "High School" Offense that Modern Defenses Can't Stop" with JT's picture on the cover. :)

JT's senior....Heisman winning season will be the best season yet!

Scubapro

Banned
I was happy but I didn't know if JT was ready to run PJ's offense...Now we all know that JT, with that O line, is the man.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Well, we threw the ball just about as much this year (91 attempts this year to 92 last year), but with much more success (51.8%, 1623 yards, 17 TDs, 4 interceptions in 2014. Compare to: 45.3%, 1695 yards, 12 TDs, 12 interceptions in 2013.)

So "getting back to what we do" means throwing the ball a whole lot better apparently.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I was happy because I knew JT was a perfect fit for this offense. I was one who though we should have put him in last year. His quickness makes the defense respect. Vad was always slow in his lateral movement. He reminded of Luellen, who was a 4 star QB we got, and didn't pan out. This system wasn't mean for those guys, its meant for JT and people like him. I just hope we can identify more JT's

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I was happy about getting back to doing what CPJ knows best. I am amazed at how well JT grasped the offense. Also surprised at how well our O line has played.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Sorry guys, I was using bad stats. We actually threw for 1757 yards this year. That gives us the second highest passing yards/game in the CPJ era (after, maybe surprisingly, 2011)

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, admit it guys, how many of you groaned when you first heard CPJ say this after the Vad Lee fiasco? Now it appears not such a bad thing, eh?
I don't want to speak of the garbage O we had during the V__ L__ year. THAT offense was a gimmick offense. I don't ever want to see the diamond again.

Stay with the basics. Give me more Triple Option, Rocket Toss, Midline Option, Speed Option, Load Option, etc... That is a complete If-Then playbook.

Declinometer

Banned
I have said all along that when we start getting option QB's you better look out. JT's ability and success will be played out in future QBs because they will learn from him and trust the offense to be what it is supposed to do. There will be a snow balling affect on the team.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I was hopeful. I thought that tinkering with the pistol and all of that stuff hurt Vad's development in the bread and butter of our offense. Throw in the fact that Vad had checked out midway through the year and our offense was a disaster against defenses with a pulse last season. I was hesitant to say that we were going to be really good on offense due to the facts of recent history, new QB, Travis Custis gone, new OL etc. JT loves the offense, he was committed to getting better and our OL was a pleasant surprise. "Going back to the basics" and perfecting those basics made us really hard to stop this year. Not to mention we had a big offensive line this year that didn't get pushed around like our undersized lines that we've had in the past. And no one can say that we've put up these numbers against weak competition. Clemson, UGA, VT, and Miami are all in the top 18 of total defense.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was happy. However, I am surprised at how well JT did. I expected more 1st year starter mistakes. I was thinking his 2nd year as a starter would look more like what he accomplished this year. Also, as others have said I am even more excited by our OL play this year. To me that is the biggest difference in our success and they are still relatively young. Good times on the way people!!