Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Saturday, February 12, 2022, 4 PM, Charlottesville

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Turns out consistently going tiny left us vulnerable to an all ACC bigman to completely dominate.

Shocking and unpredictable.
Look, I am frustrated with the losses, too. We all are. But did you watch the game? We didn't go "tiny" but maybe 2 minutes in this game (unless you call Howard tiny? Meka tiny?) Their two big men scored 24 points in their win over Duke...and scored 8 points against us. Heck, Howard outscored them with 10 points! I am sorry, but that is not what happened in this game. We crapped the bed and couldn't score when we needed to, and like @jbix80 says above we were slow to rotate and close out on defense, but we did not (in this game) get dominated by "going tiny."

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Another day, another loss. Letting winnable games slip away is becoming all too familiar. This team seems to be missing an extra gear to get the W, and every game its a little different. Here are some thoughts:

-Thank goodness for Usher. Yes, he is out of control sometimes, but he makes winning plays, is a willing passer and capable shooter, and pushes the ball down the floor with intent to score. I pray every rebound finds his hands, because he immediately looks to make a play. I wish we had a team of Ushers.
-Oddly, Howard didn't start, but played pretty well. We all knew we couldn't get by in the ACC without a big man, and he stepped up. I loved the quick cuts to the rim. Where has that been all season? He is still a bit of a liability on defense and is not much of a rim protector, but he has improved.
-It is becoming absolutely inexcusable that we don't run plays for Kelly and Coleman to get open 3s. I know that might not be our main set, but come on--we finally have good shooters and we can't get them shots? Grrrrr...
-Here is your Sturdy/Smith line: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 assists and 0 TOs. Not great, but not horrible. It seems like we were content to let Devoe be our main ball handler/creator...
-Speaking of Devoe....well, sometimes he makes some amazing plays.
-Playing @ UVA with against a fresh team (that hadn't played since Monday's big win over Duke)...I am not surprised at the result. I am also not surprised at the difference in fouls and free throw shots. 19 fouls against us, 11 against them. 23 foul shots for them, 10 for us. I know, I know...we are slow and foul a lot. Still, though, it feels like we get called for some ridiculous ones.
-Despite all of this, we had it to a 2-point game (49-47) and had multiple chances to get closer, but just couldn't get it done. Stupid TOs, bad shots, poor calls, all of it. But we aren't playing horseshoes are we? There is no asterisk for a close loss. There is only a loss.

We need to hug a W soon. Preferably a string of them. But win or lose, I'll keep cheering. Go Jackets!

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Another day, another loss. Letting winnable games slip away is becoming all too familiar. This team seems to be missing an extra gear to get the W, and every game its a little different. Here are some thoughts:

-Thank goodness for Usher. Yes, he is out of control sometimes, but he makes winning plays, is a willing passer and capable shooter, and pushes the ball down the floor with intent to score. I pray every rebound finds his hands, because he immediately looks to make a play. I wish we had a team of Ushers.
-Oddly, Howard didn't start, but played pretty well. We all knew we couldn't get by in the ACC without a big man, and he stepped up. I loved the quick cuts to the rim. Where has that been all season? He is still a bit of a liability on defense and is not much of a rim protector, but he has improved.
-It is becoming absolutely inexcusable that we don't run plays for Kelly and Coleman to get open 3s. I know that might not be our main set, but come on--we finally have good shooters and we can't get them shots? Grrrrr...
-Here is your Sturdy/Smith line: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 assists and 0 TOs. Not great, but not horrible. It seems like we were content to let Devoe be our main ball handler/creator...
-Speaking of Devoe....well, sometimes he makes some amazing plays.
-Playing @ UVA with against a fresh team (that hadn't played since Monday's big win over Duke)...I am not surprised at the result. I am also not surprised at the difference in fouls and free throw shots. 19 fouls against us, 11 against them. 23 foul shots for them, 10 for us. I know, I know...we are slow and foul a lot. Still, though, it feels like we get called for some ridiculous ones.
-Despite all of this, we had it to a 2-point game (49-47) and had multiple chances to get closer, but just couldn't get it done. Stupid TOs, bad shots, poor calls, all of it. But we aren't playing horseshoes are we? There is no asterisk for a close loss. There is only a loss.

We need to hug a W soon. Preferably a string of them. But win or lose, I'll keep cheering. Go Jackets!
Touché

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Look, I am frustrated with the losses, too. We all are. But did you watch the game? We didn't go "tiny" but maybe 2 minutes in this game (unless you call Howard tiny? Meka tiny?) Their two big men scored 24 points in their win over Duke...and scored 8 points against us. Heck, Howard outscored them with 10 points! I am sorry, but that is not what happened in this game. We crapped the bed and couldn't score when we needed to, and like @jbix80 says above we were slow to rotate and close out on defense, but we did not (in this game) get dominated by "going tiny."

I didn't say we went tiny in this game. We went tiny consistently throughout the year and it left us vulnerable to a big man (Gardner) to dominate.

It wasn't our only issue, and the other issues we've had all year that we ignore because "our bigs are too slow footed on defense" meant we played wings who still allowed penetration and over rotated like they always do.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One of the reasons we had trouble rotating in the first half was we extended the zone to half Court. Pastner said something and pregame interview about worrying about UVA picking us apart if we didn’t pressure them. Instead they simply made one pass to the foul line and picked us apart from there. Second half we didn’t extend as much and they missed shots they were making in the first half.

On the office of Syed, I got a little bit of be careful what you ask for 😒. We did start the game without running the Princeton set. But the weave that we were running didn’t do anything to set anybody up. I was actually happy to see us go back to the Princeton because in that one we actually set pics. And for some reason I don’t fully understand UVA actually guarded Howard at the elbow. Allowed him to make rim runs and created some space that hasn’t been there in the past

All in all we don’t have the horses and haven’t set the horses up this year. As has been said many times, we need a huge haul in the portal for next year

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Would like to go to the Pitt game on Saturday, but I’m hoping my son is playing for a Christian school state championship that day!!!
Best of luck. I hope you don't get to see GT win!😁 Keep us updated. I'll take feel-good wins wherever I can get them.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Played a decent game vs a good team but still a loss.
Easy to see a huge reason.The fouls.They had 21-24 FTs. The Tech Sports Info guy finally mentioned a big problem in his description of this game.We have "out-fouled" our opponents in 75% of games.Before only our stellar defense was trumpeted while ignoring what happens what you are wild in your defense (rushing,leaving your feet too soon, not rotating, etc) . .You foul and allow a lot of Offensive rebs.

53 pts and 28 by Mike and Ush. hmmmm Where is that scoring coming from next yr? 53 might be a norm next yr

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This team just isn't very good. That is the simple truth of the matter. Doesn't have the horses this year.
We are headed to our 14th losing season in the last 26 years (3 of Cremins' last 4, 5 of Hewitt's 11 seasons, 3 of Gregory's 5 seasons and 3 of Pastner's 6 seasons). Since the Marbury/Barry year there has simply been no consistency and no sustainability - i'm starting to question if there ever will be.

Next year we need Kelly and Coleman to take big jumps, for Meka and Maxwell to get healthy and stay healthy. We need a PG that is just determined to win and we need a couple of really good portal players.
That's alot to ask for, but what is needed.
Otherwise we are likely to see losing season #15 in 27 years and Pastner to be on the hot seat.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
This team just isn't very good. That is the simple truth of the matter. Doesn't have the horses this year.
We are headed to our 14th losing season in the last 26 years (3 of Cremins' last 4, 5 of Hewitt's 11 seasons, 3 of Gregory's 5 seasons and 3 of Pastner's 6 seasons). Since the Marbury/Barry year there has simply been no consistency and no sustainability - i'm starting to question if there ever will be.

Next year we need Kelly and Coleman to take big jumps, for Meka and Maxwell to get healthy and stay healthy. We need a PG that is just determined to win and we need a couple of really good portal players.
That's alot to ask for, but what is needed.
Otherwise we are likely to see losing season #15 in 27 years and Pastner to be on the hot seat.
Maxwell seems to be on his way out the door. Agree with you Pastner should be on the hot seat if next year goes as we think.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For 2 years. That often leads to a player wanting a change of scenery.
I could see if he wasn't getting time on the floor because he was injured and go passed by others. But, when he was healthy, he saw the floor. For sure he could leave, I just don't see the "for sure" him leaving, or even the "probably' because he's gotten time when healthy.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I could see if he wasn't getting time on the floor because he was injured and go passed by others. But, when he was healthy, he saw the floor. For sure he could leave, I just don't see the "for sure" him leaving, or even the "probably' because he's gotten time when healthy.
He has played 85 minutes in 2 years. Regardless of reason those are the numbers that cause players to transfer simply something is not working in his current situation. 19 year olds aren't always rational when making decisions, emotions matter and he has to be very frustrated.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He has played 85 minutes in 2 years. Regardless of reason those are the numbers that cause players to transfer simply something is not working in his current situation. 19 year olds aren't always rational when making decisions, emotions matter and he has to be very frustrated.
I understand what you're saying, but that belies the fact that the only reason he's not seen the floor is that he's been unable to play. When he's been healthy, he's played. So, the frustration is with staying healthy, not lack of PT. I don't see how that translates to "likely to transfer." This seems to be our fans projecting outsider thoughts onto someone we know nothing about.

This being said, I could easily understand Meka, Jalon Moore, or Saba transferring out because they don't see a path to the floor. Maxwell just hasn't been talked about by the press or coaches because he's been hurt. That may lead some to think he's lost down the bench, but when he was healthy, he was getting as many minutes as any of the younger guys, and more than Kelly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Time to let the young guys get more minutes. We have no chance at post season now. If we had been getting improved play at center we might win a game at the ACCT but not seeing it. Meka getting better but Howard has missed games that might have helped him. I feel for the seniors but they have given their effort and just not all the pieces in place on this team. Love watching Ush this year. I can see pro ball for him somewhere if that's what he wants to do. Devoe maybe Europe or China. Would hope for the NBA but all those guys can shoot. Was hoping for a better year for those guys.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Time to let the young guys get more minutes. We have no chance at post season now. If we had been getting improved play at center we might win a game at the ACCT but not seeing it. Meka getting better but Howard has missed games that might have helped him. I feel for the seniors but they have given their effort and just not all the pieces in place on this team. Love watching Ush this year. I can see pro ball for him somewhere if that's what he wants to do. Devoe maybe Europe or China. Would hope for the NBA but all those guys can shoot. Was hoping for a better year for those guys.
Devoe could return next year. Not saying he would or even should, but he could...