• UVA by 7-13

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • UVA by 14+

Votes: 63 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
One good note: they are a pass first/ run 2nd team and our best unit on the team outside of punter is our defensive backfield/pass defense. However, they also run the ball at a fairly decent clip which isn't good for our defense. Also, their defense, although a slight pass rush worse than Pittsburgh, is just as sound.

If turnovers are equal, it will be a long day in Hooville. 37-10

Hope you are right about our pass defense, but what I've seen on Bryce Perkins impresses me. He is an illusive accurate passing QB ... could be a nightmare for our young defense.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
According to Football Outsiders, here's Virginia's rankings
  • OFEI - #62
  • DFEI - #52
Nothing remarkable, but better than our #100 and #68 ranking, respectively.

To put their defense into context, here's the ranked defenses we've faced this year:
  • #1 - Clemson
  • #12 - Pittsburgh
  • #22 - Miami
  • #30 - Duke
  • #34 - Temple
  • #49 - North Carolina
  • #52 - Virginia
  • #54 - South Florida

There there's this:
  • SFEI - #1.... that is, they are #1 in the country on Special Teams

He's Gone: Joe Reed Continuing to Set Kickoff Return Records for Cavaliers
Reed entered the season as the Cavaliers' all-time leader in return yardage, and he's gotten even better this season.

He is averaging 39.4 yards per return, which is the second-most in the nation, and would break the program record set by Henry Massie (36.8) in 1963.

Translated... kicking the ball out of bounds on kickoffs has yielded a better net than kicking to Joe Reed.

Deleted member 2897

• OFEI - #62
  • DFEI - #52

To put their defense into context, here's the ranked defenses we've faced this year:
  • #1 - Clemson
  • #12 - Pittsburgh
  • #22 - Miami
  • #30 - Duke
  • #34 - Temple
  • #49 - North Carolina
  • #52 - Virginia
  • #54 - South Florida

There there's this:

Translated... kicking the ball out of bounds on kickoffs has yielded a better net than kicking to Joe Reed.

In other words, if we can beat Miami, we can beat Virginia. But also, in order to do so we'd probably also need multiple touchdowns by someone other than our offense, and we'd probably also need them to surrender 6-9 free points.

Don't get me wrong, I want to win and I love our team. I'm just trying to be realistic. Here are the number of touchdowns our offense has scored in regulation this season against FBS teams.
1) Clemson: 2
2) South Florida: 2
3) Temple: 0
4) North Carolina: 3
5) Duke: 3
6) Miami: 1
7) Pittsburgh: 1
Average: 1.7 touchdowns per game

Our kicker was 25% accurate in 2018 and 50% accurate in 2019, so we can't depend on him really to put up points.

Deleted member 2897

• OFEI - #62
  • DFEI - #52

• #1 - Clemson
  • #12 - Pittsburgh
  • #22 - Miami
  • #30 - Duke
  • #34 - Temple
  • #49 - North Carolina
  • #52 - Virginia
  • #54 - South Florida

There there's this:

We can't kick the ball into the end zone, so yes, giving him 40 yards per kick while starting outside the end zone yields > than the 40 yard line to start. I think our best shot may be to line drive a squib into the corner in the line of players immediately in front of him and hope one of them pick it up.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In other words, if we can beat Miami, we can beat Virginia. But also, in order to do so we'd probably also need multiple touchdowns by someone other than our offense, and we'd probably also need them to surrender 6-9 free points.

Don't get me wrong, I want to win and I love our team. I'm just trying to be realistic. Here are the number of touchdowns our offense has scored in regulation this season against FBS teams.
1) Clemson: 2
2) South Florida: 2
3) Temple: 0
4) North Carolina: 3
5) Duke: 3
6) Miami: 1
7) Pittsburgh: 1
Average: 1.7 touchdowns per game

Our kicker was 25% accurate in 2018 and 50% accurate in 2019, so we can't depend on him really to put up points.
We can't kick the ball into the end zone, so yes, giving him 40 yards per kick while starting outside the end zone yields > than the 40 yard line to start. I think our best shot may be to line drive a squib into the corner in the line of players immediately in front of him and hope one of them pick it up.
Well, your first post highlights another way to neutralize Reed. Rules generally dictate that you have to score points in order to kick off.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Unless uva has 3 or 4 turnovers this game will be over at halftime. If they do have the turnovers we lose by 14. I’m thinking 42 -10 them.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched a little bit of the second half of their game versus UNC last weekend. They were clicking offensively, but gave up big plays on defense. Unfortunately we don't have the big play capability that UNC does. This could get very ugly for us.

butch0520

Georgia Tech Fan
Still going through growing pains on both sides of the ball and its a tough match-up. D should play well, but I think it will be a long day UVA27 GT10

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless uva has 3 or 4 turnovers this game will be over at halftime. If they do have the turnovers we lose by 14. I’m thinking 42 -10 them.
UVA averages 1.8 turnovers a game, which ranks 24th worst in FBS -- they throw the ball around a lot. We are about the middle of the pack in "creating" turnovers.

They rank #1 in special teams efficiency. Joe Reed is a great kick returner and their other teams are solid.

They will move the ball on us, and we cannot sustain drives the length of the field. If we win turnover margin by 2 and keep them from flipping the field on special teams, then it can be a one score game. If not then we are in for it.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
This game won’t look too different than the Duke game. They will control the clock and effectively run the ball, pick up 1st Downs with quick throws. We will continue to suck on offense. CDP will try to run his typical generic / predictable spread offensive plays, probably abandon the run way too early, and call poorly designed pass plays for our personnel. I imagine we’ll lose breaks and see the typical drive-killing holding call or fumble on the goal line just as things get interesting.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
It will be an arse kicking by UVA.
We are a really weak team.
We could easily be 0-8.
Do we even have one player who would be a starter if he played for UVA?