Article Georgia Tech vs. Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Preview

bos

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting last minute of the game. It looked like Pastner
1. wanted to show his freshman how its done and
2. was pissed off at the other team for still doing full court press with game out of hand.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting last minute of the game. It looked like Pastner
1. wanted to show his freshman how its done and
2. was pissed off at the other team for still doing full court press with game out of hand.
That press suddenly made it a 10 point game with about 50 seconds to go. I think he was just pissed that his walk ons played like Hewitt had taught them how to inbound the ball.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Very pleased to get that win last night.
GT extended the lead with the following lineup on the floor - Alston, Haywood, Gueye, Ogbonda and Wright.

Alston had a really good game. His early season performance makes me think Pastner will stick with what he did last year and play Tad off the bench and start Alston at the 2.

Let me amend what I said after B-C. it's ok to have Gueye 20 ft from the basket as long as he isn't dribbling alot. He looked so much more confident last night and when he banged the first 3 home you could tell it was a big boost to him. 13 pts, 7 rbs, 5 assists (3 TO). Made 2 threes and had a third rim out. He could be a 2 yr starter if he stays for his RS year.

You could also see Haywood's confidence growing as the game went on. He did a great job taking care of the ball - only 1 TO in 37 min against 6 TO. Once he gets comfortable in his shot he is going to develop into a nice 4 yr player. i can see why Pastner was playing him though. He is probably the best defender of the FR. Jose gambles more, but Curtis has great hands and plays the best position defense of the FR. Nice stat line for him 11 pts, 4 rbs, 6 assists, 1 block, 4 steals.

We need to improve rebounding, way too many 2nd chances for for the opponent.

It looks like we have a chance for all 4 FR to develop into solid 4 yr players. That could be a really good class by their JR yr.
All of them showed flashes last night.

Agree with all this, and I’ll add that the zone defense looked much smoother last night. Against B-C we sometimes had two (or even three) defenders go to the ball on the perimeter. Last night the flow was more fluid. Someone still came to defend the ball, but others rotated properly to cover the wings.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i think he was annoyed that the opponent was pressing the walk-ons (who clearly were not ready to handle that pressure). Was sort of funny to see him put the starters back in, they make a basket and then he pulls them out.

I don't think we have to worry about seeing the walk-ons except in huge blowouts.

Sort of amazing to think that we didn't have a single guard last night who played on the team last year and only Lammers of the bigs played extended min (you can maybe count Gueye in that).

slugboy

Staff member
Happy Thanksgiving! I enjoyed the game.
  • I was happy to see us hitting some 3's.
  • It seemed like UTRG hit every free throw to keep the game closer than it even should have been
  • We racked up more fouls than I thought we would. I saw at least one 4-point play. Ugh.
  • I think they've played together longer than we have--more upperclassmen? The amoeba defense worked really well for most of the game, but occasionally you'd see them run a play and get someone wide wide wide open for a shot.
  • The starters did a nice job getting the ball up the court on the press.
  • Really nice to see AG and Ogbonda out there to give Lammers a few minutes of rest. Thought they played well.
  • Overall, happy with the freshmen last night.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
CGB ended up with a really nice stat line and I didn’t really realize it until I looked at the box score. Hopefully that will raise his confidence
I thought that he played outstanding. He got after it on defense too. He is going to be a really good player down the line.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
CGB ended up with a really nice stat line and I didn’t really realize it until I looked at the box score. Hopefully that will raise his confidence
The only knock I had for him today was he had some trouble finishing but overall he played a pretty good game.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I sit very close to the Tech bench and could hear a lot of what CJP was yelling to the players when he stands by the scorers' table. With the walk-ons in at the end, his wrath was directed at them, not at UTRGV. He was very unhappy with their focus and effort. In particular, he was visibly unhappy with one of the walk-ons who was laughing when he came back to the bench.

i think he was trying to give them a little game action to reward them for practicing hard. Remember, he was a walk-on scrub at AZ and he probably he more empathy for the walk-ons than most coaches. I think he was trying to do something nice for them and he was pissed they played like it was a summer pickup game. I'm sure there will be lessons learned as a result

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I sit very close to the Tech bench and could hear a lot of what CJP was yelling to the players when he stands by the scorers' table. With the walk-ons in at the end, his wrath was directed at them, not at UTRGV. He was very unhappy with their focus and effort. In particular, he was visibly unhappy with one of the walk-ons who was laughing when he came back to the bench.

i think he was trying to give them a little game action to reward them for practicing hard. Remember, he was a walk-on scrub at AZ and he probably he more empathy for the walk-ons than most coaches. I think he was trying to do something nice for them and he was pissed they played like it was a summer pickup game. I'm sure there will be lessons learned as a result

I would have been floored if CJP was pissed at an opposing coach for pressing trying to catch up in a game - whether you think it was over or not. Maybe if the other team was up 20 and still pressing - maybe. I know what I would tell a coach if he barked at me for pressing down 10-15 with a couple of minutes to go. And it ain't anatomically possible. As you say he was pissed at his walkons as he should have been. I actually thought one of them might have been in line for minutes with the suspensions but now I know why he went way out of his way to avoid that.

I am happy with the win and especially the showing of Alston. If he can simply play solid BB that is really big - whether he starts or comes off the bench. Even without the 3's, if AD can simply establish you have to guard him that also is huge. Jose got a lesson in what he can do and can't do trying to be Bobby Hurley on D. Important lesson because he has to stay on the court. Haywood, Cole and Moses still have work to do to be ready for the ACC.

With that though, I don't want to make too much of this performance - other than we are a lot further along than we were at this time last year. It was still a team we should beat handily and one that didn't seem to play as well as it could given that it beat BCU by 18 in a game it shot 40% from 3. Our defense was certainly improved over earlier games but it wasn't that good. But really glad to survive this with a win. See if we can improve with Tadrick back and survive to getting Okogie back.