Article Georgia Tech vs. Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Preview

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
[figure="align: left"][figure="align: left"][figure="align: left"]
Lammers-hook-shot-227x300.jpeg
[figcap][/figcap][/figure][figcap][/figcap][/figure][figcap]Ben Lammers drops in a hook shot vs. Bethune-Cookman. (photo credit to ramblinwreck.com)[/figcap][/figure]Georgia Tech is coming off a 65-62-win against the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats, led by Ben Lammers’ 19 points and 13 rebounds. Up next for the Yellow Jackets is the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros. Located in Edinburg, Texas, the Vaqueros are 3-2 so far in the season, with this upcoming game against the Jackets being their fourth straight road game in a row. They have a win against our previous opponent Bethune-Cookman and also in their most recent game, a victory against another future Georgia Tech opponent, the North Texas Mean Green, by a final of 75-63.

Texas-Rio Grande Valley, who play in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC), was 10-22 last year and 1-14 on the road and are led by the first year Head Coach, Lew Hill. Coach Hill spent the previous 5 seasons as an assistant coach at Oklahoma and followed Lon Kruger from University of Las Vegas (UNLV). Hill was an all-American at San Jacinto Junior College before taking his talents to the Wichita State Shockers his senior year, helping them make the NCAA Tournament. He played one season professionally in Germany before returning to America. Hill got his Paul Johnson-esque start by coaching the JV boys at Wichita East High School in Kansas before moving up the rankings to varsity, then making the jump to an assistant role in the collegiate level at South Alabama.

The Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros are led by redshirt senior guard, #4 Nick Dixon. Dixon is the team captain and listed at 6’2”, 180 pounds out of Hillside, Illinois. Take one look at the Vaqueros and he sticks out like the belly on a UGA fan (it’s hate week boys!) #THWg. Through 5 games this season he is averaging 23.4 points per game, with his career high coming last year on the road against Utah Valley when he dropped a whopping 41 points. If this game is close in late game situations, this is the one guy you do not want to foul. Dixon led the WAC and was 21st nationally last year in free throws made last year.

Next in line for the Vaqueros is another redshirt senior guard, #10 Moe McDonald. Standing 6’4” and 195 pounds, he came out of IMG Academy by way of McAllen, Texas. McDonald is one of the glue guys for the Vaqueros as is the only other player leading Nick Dixon in minutes on the team. He has his occasional scoring outburst, but for the most part he will make a few assists, make a couple jumpers, and grab some boards. Overall, McDonald is a solid player that every program needs and his minutes show that.

Outside of Dixon and McDonald, the Vaqueros have a very unusual rotation of players and minutes. No trend or tendencies have shown up the first five games, which makes it hard for opposing coaches to gauge what strategy to follow. They can choose the long and athletic route with 6’7” sophomore #11, Leslie Varner Jr and 6’6” sophomore #25, Xavier McDaniel Jr to pair with the formable duo, Nick Dixon and Moe McDonald. Varner Jr is averaging 9.5 points per game and brings intensity on defense and the boards. Pastner would love his “guard rebounding” skills. McDaniel Jr, is a wild card. He can go off like he did against UT Martin for 27 points, or not show up like the last game against North Texas where he had only 5 points.

The Vaqueros can also choose to go with a more stable, older group consisting of 6’8” redshirt senior #32, Adonis Rwabigwi and the second team captain, redshirt junior guard #13, Lew Stallworth. Rwabigwi has shown to be nothing more than an experienced big body out there that the coach can trust to not make an unwise decision, which is why would could see him tonight on the road against an ACC opponent. The same can be said for the 6’1” Stallworth who was ranked third in the WAC in assist-to-turnover ratio and 205th in the country. He gets way more playing time than Rwabigwi but doesn’t tend to put up the numbers to match his minutes. Stallworth is out there to once again play smart and get the ball to the playmakers.

The final option they have is the young and fast group with 6’3” 165-pound freshman #0, Greg Bowie and 5’10" 165-pound freshman #14, Javon Levi. Both players can get the ball up the court and in a hurry. The only drawback is that the can get out of control and make mistakes, especially when going up against an ACC team. It will come down to who Coach Hill thinks he can trust with the ball and make smart decisions. #22 Jordan Jackson, the junior out of Houston, Texas also fits this bill. He is a little bit older but still carries the same skills as Bowie and Levi.

Down low they have 6’8 senior #23, Dan Kimasa. Along with the third team captain and 6’8” redshirt senior #21, Mike Hoffman. Both men provide the same service for the Vaqueros: play sound defense, screen for Dixon, and get most of the rebounds. They are not counted on for much scoring and play their role well. An interesting thing about the big men of the Vaqueros is that they have a big 7’1", Ole Miss transfer Johnny Crnogorac who is mostly glued to the bench. It leads me to wonder if they will put him in to try and contain Ben “Marta” Lammers.

Prediction: Ben Lammers should have another huge game, and Georgia Tech forces the Vaqueros to get reckless with the ball like Bethune-Cookman. I would be worried about foul trouble for whoever is guarding Nick Dixon, but I’m assuming we will stick with the zone this game. Only things I worry about is not over-rotating in the zone and stopping the transition. If we make them play in the half court, we will be in an advantageous position to succeed. They lack the presence down low on offense to beat the zone and do not have a shooter the caliber of Bethune’s Brandon Tabb on the perimeter. The key to the game is keeping Dixon out of the lane and away from the free throw line. Tech by 10.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know it was only an exhibition but the Ga State guard having his way with us worries me when I see Dixon's stats.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I know it was only an exhibition but the Ga State guard having his way with us worries me when I see Dixon's stats.
Simonds from Georgia State is on an elite level in regards to his athleticism. You are correct though, the style of game is the same. They just finish in different ways.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
A tip of the cap and a thank you to @ramblinwreck1378 for the use of the tickets.

Alston had a heck of a Game.

Listened to the post game but didn't hear CJP comment about the mass substitution pattern during the last minute [emoji39]

Good game for the team to fight through missing 3 players.

Hope Big Ben's ankle is better by Friday afternoon's game. If not, it might not be pretty. Was pleasently surprised that we extended the lead while he was being worked on.

Heywood played a solid game.

When Jose had leave due to foul trouble, it did make a difference for awhile.

We are a work in progress. The Freshman are going to ample opportunity to get experience the next few games. Hope they learn quickly.

Looking forward to a good season.

Go Jackets!

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
This was my first game watching the team this season. I'm really impressed with Alvarado's game. He has great court vision, leadership, and plays with great passion. Gueye and Alston had a pretty good game. Gueye needs to be stronger with the ball though. I like Cole's contribution coming off the bench. I think Haywood II is going to be a solid player for us for 4 years. Ben Lammers is Ben Lammers. Nothing more to say about him. I hope this team gets to the Big Dance so the nation can see how special he is. It got a little interesting when CJP took the starters out late in the game, then put them back in, and then took them out again. These next few games will be a good learning experience for these young guys. Hopefully it will all pay off in March.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Alston is a beast, he’s close to being just as good as JO was this time LAST year. Obviously JO is leaps and bounds ahead right now but I️ think by the time Tech gets into ACC play Alston will be the main scorer off the bench. Imagine if we can get 16-20 from JO and 8-12 from Alston every game. With Jose, Tadric and Ben all in double figures, that’s a scary lineup IMO.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I just hope the fans come out to support the team. Last year we built a great home court atmosphere over the last 4 or 5 games. I was hoping that would carry over, but the thriller dome was 80% empty and morgue-like last night. We need better turnout and the kids deserve much better support

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I just hope the fans come out to support the team. Last year we built a great home court atmosphere over the last 4 or 5 games. I was hoping that would carry over, but the thriller dome was 80% empty and morgue-like last night. We need better turnout and the kids deserve much better support
Night before Thanksgiving against UTRGV. Thought the crowd was great for the BCU game (at least on TV).

If we keep this up, I have no doubts the place will be rocking when January rolls around. I really want a great crowd for Northwestern next week.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Very pleased to get that win last night.
GT extended the lead with the following lineup on the floor - Alston, Haywood, Gueye, Ogbonda and Wright.

Alston had a really good game. His early season performance makes me think Pastner will stick with what he did last year and play Tad off the bench and start Alston at the 2.

Let me amend what I said after B-C. it's ok to have Gueye 20 ft from the basket as long as he isn't dribbling alot. He looked so much more confident last night and when he banged the first 3 home you could tell it was a big boost to him. 13 pts, 7 rbs, 5 assists (3 TO). Made 2 threes and had a third rim out. He could be a 2 yr starter if he stays for his RS year.

You could also see Haywood's confidence growing as the game went on. He did a great job taking care of the ball - only 1 TO in 37 min against 6 TO. Once he gets comfortable in his shot he is going to develop into a nice 4 yr player. i can see why Pastner was playing him though. He is probably the best defender of the FR. Jose gambles more, but Curtis has great hands and plays the best position defense of the FR. Nice stat line for him 11 pts, 4 rbs, 6 assists, 1 block, 4 steals.

We need to improve rebounding, way too many 2nd chances for for the opponent.

It looks like we have a chance for all 4 FR to develop into solid 4 yr players. That could be a really good class by their JR yr.
All of them showed flashes last night.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
On a side note - JO was out of the sling and was out with the team during shoot around just before the game. He wasn't actively shooting when I was looking, but was dribbling and "tossing" the balls back to the players that were participating in the drills.
:)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
On a side note - JO was out of the sling and was out with the team during shoot around just before the game. He wasn't actively shooting when I was looking, but was dribbling and "tossing" the balls back to the players that were participating in the drills.
:)
And Cuse did the tape job on Okogie's hand yesterday. Why else would it have been an orange bandage?