Article Georgia Tech vs. North Texas Preview

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2017-11-24_20-46-16.png

upload_2017-11-24_20-46-31.png

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why would they guard someone who is on the bench?

If there is a replay watch the way they played Wright. Even when he did cut through the lane no one moved with him. His guy just sat in the middle of the lane looking to double. Not much different than AD or Cole though with Cole they did sort of follow him around.

Moses rebounds better than Cole without a doubt but his offense is probably worse than AD who will make a move/take a shot in the lane.

If we are going to run an offense focused on cuts and drives to the basket we have to find a 4 who the other team has to at least guard. Right now the scouting report is becoming have a one man zone clogging the middle off our 4 - whoever it is.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there. North Texas played Pack-line D most of the game- similar to UVA. Lammers ankle limited him - and we played a lot of small ball so very few offensive boards (I only remember two). They started out double teaming Lammers - with AD's man. AD took three or four WIDE open shots - they were daring him to shoot and he took his time and did - a three, couple of long twos ... did not make any (not bricks, but made none)... Pastner had enough as other than Jose offense could not hit side of barn in first half. Cole got minutes - did nothing ... then Wright - ditto .. then went small last few minutes of first half which did produce better ball movement. Jose had 12 of our 22 first half points. Jackson did not start but played a lot - pretty good other than a couple forced shots.
Alston played a good game overall, but never got untracked .. missed some open looks early and they looked to be keying on him and he did not get many shots up. His penetration did not work well vs. Pack-line - kept running into bigger players and dishing it out.

D was solid most of night - mostly match up zone - and until they got a couple good looks late second half we did really good job contesting them - and Lammers ate up much of what came inside. We forced at least 15 turnovers .... had less than 10 .... was a difference today.

Second half -started Jose, Alston, Tadric, Haywood, and Lammers ... Tadric made some nice moves to score early ... and they dared Haywood to shoot and that was a mistake ... made I think 4 of 5 threes in second half and broke it open. Got up 13 or so ..... then I don't think it got closer than 8-9 rest of the way. Wright came in and made a couple nice shots and blocks ... and did some dumb things ..... AD had really nice assist from high post to Jose for 3 point play when he spelled Ben.

Jose - really good game.
Hayward - finally let the offense come to him ... all but one shot was a good one and in system. Better D than past games. Very nice form on the J.
Alston - good, but zip on offense today.
Jackson - good to have back - gives us more options ... and our most aggressive player.
Not sure if anyone won or stood out at the 4 spot today ... AD is the best on defense ... Wright probably the best on offense .. Cole had a rough day on both ends.
Lammers - hope he is 100 percent for Tuesday. Ogbonda only played at mop-up time ... Ben played @35 minutes (AD played center when he was out) - good game but not great - ankle limited him it appeared.

Are there any thoughts towards bulking Cole up enough to take over the 5 next year? Not feeling real good about Ogbonda for Ben’s heir and Wright looks good for the 4 with some coaching and experience this year.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Feel like I'm going to take heat for this comparison but I really don't mean it as a knock. Heywood reminds me of freshman Quinton Stephens. That guy was an awesome shooter and had a ton of potential. Remember him in the UGA game? Man I always hoped he'd be the mismatch he was supposed to be. Hope Heywood continues to develop. If he fits in a few hot streaks against ACC opponents we could have a fun season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If there is a replay watch the way they played Wright. Even when he did cut through the lane no one moved with him. His guy just sat in the middle of the lane looking to double. Not much different than AD or Cole though with Cole they did sort of follow him around.

Moses rebounds better than Cole without a doubt but his offense is probably worse than AD who will make a move/take a shot in the lane.

If we are going to run an offense focused on cuts and drives to the basket we have to find a 4 who the other team has to at least guard. Right now the scouting report is becoming have a one man zone clogging the middle off our 4 - whoever it is.

1. Offense isn't the only consideration. We won't be able to go small against ACC teams because of defense and rebounding. Wright had a bigger impact defensively in 3 minutes in the first half than Alston did the entire game.

2. They defended off Alston the same way. He just cut less and sort of just stood around on offense. When he did cut his guy wasn't following, and often his man was playing well off him.

3. Wright only got to play with AD as the center in the first half, except on possession with Ben when we scored. In the second half, when ben got in the game, he got the ball in a position to make them pay for leaving him open and he did. Otherwise our success on offense started to come when Jackson pushed the tempo and made things happen on his own, and Haywood started making 3s when they were playing off him. It wasn't like going small forced them out to the perimeter which opened up cutting lanes that we exploited.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
After going to the GT-North Texas game, then walking to Phillips Arena to watch the hawks play against Jarrett Jack. I can finally state a few things that have been on my mind about our game against the Mean Green:

*Jose Alvarado is a straight up baller. Wow!(Owen Wilson's Voice) that step back three was gorgeous. Thought I was watching Kyrie Irving in the finals for a second.
I saw Pastner yell at him one point for throwing that alley-oop to Tadric Jackson that went out of bounds. I don't know about you, but I was perfectly fine with it. Could he have made a simple bounce pass? Yes, but Jose made plenty of solid plays today, and I have no problem with him adding a little bit of that New York swag and attitude from time to time. He is going to be a handful and a pest in the ACC for a long time to come, and I will love every minute of it.

*Curtis Haywood....totally different player from a few games ago. The last game against Grande Valley, he showed signs of playing with more confidence, and today he broke loose. That beautiful shooting form that I'm sure Peacone loves, was on point today, and it was awesome. The ball didn't even touch the net half the time, and I am so happy for him. He was struggling in the past games, due to which I believe was overthinking and not trying to make a mistake. You can see he is now starting to trust his skills again, and knows that Coach has his back and will let him play through his mistakes. If our freshman class can keep progressing, I can't help but keep getting excited about the state of our program a couple years from now.

*Ben had a hard time getting an open look today due to the sagging off of AD, allowing them to double team Lammers. AD took the bait early but couldn't knock down the shots so he had to be pulled to the bench. Of course though, Lammers still found a way to make beautiful mid range shots, fade's, and lefty lay-ups.

* It was nice to see that mid range jumper from Moses Wright, and Tadric back to his euro-stepping, out of control but in control at the same time lay-ups. It is so funny but not funny to watch Pastner's love/hate with Jackson. He gets all over him for driving the lane and turning it over or not playing defense, then Tadric comes back and scores 10 straight points. It's like our own version of Ying and Yang. It's not ideal but it works for us.

My favorite play of the game wasn't even a successful play, but boy was it beautiful. It was Haywood's left to right euro-step on the defender. He missed the shot but the move to get open was on a James Harden/Manu Ginobili level. Total professional basketball player move. Now we just need to work on him finishing these shots. His potential is through the roof, along with the three other freshman....and not even mentioning Michael Devoe, who has the attention of all the national writers and is ballin out right now. After writing this I am going to go look on youtube to see if the stream is still up from his Hoopsgiving game today. It's hard to not get too excited and ahead of myself about the future of the program, so I have to constantly remind myself it's one game at a time.

Time to beat Georgia then get ready for Northwestern.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'd say 2 things about this.
  • To an extent, it is what it is, at least for now. AD has certainly worked on his shooting, but can't say he's consistent by any stretch. Between Wright & Cole, both show flashes of the long term potential, but it's just going to take time.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Josh O plays small ball 4 for us once he's back. He's got a 7ft wingspan, can rebound, & play defense. It's apparent Ben & Jose are gonna play 35+ minutes a game, depending on foul trouble, and then you add in Josh O who can play the perimeter or small ball 4. Rotate Tadric, Alston (who I think will revert to the mean performing similarly to tonight), & Haywood (also has size/length/athleticism). Whatever's left over, you've got our remaining post players. From there, you only go with 2 bigs when you absolutely have to, which is dook against Bagley/Carter, Louisville, UVA (I think) and maybe Florida State, which amounts to 5 of 18 ACC games. Most others in the ACC are going to have small ball or stretch 4s and I think Josh & Curt can handle size & length up to 6-7 or 6-8.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I'd say 2 things about this.
  • To an extent, it is what it is, at least for now. AD has certainly worked on his shooting, but can't say he's consistent by any stretch. Between Wright & Cole, both show flashes of the long term potential, but it's just going to take time.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Josh O plays small ball 4 for us once he's back. He's got a 7ft wingspan, can rebound, & play defense. It's apparent Ben & Jose are gonna play 35+ minutes a game, depending on foul trouble, and then you add in Josh O who can play the perimeter or small ball 4. Rotate Tadric, Alston (who I think will revert to the mean performing similarly to tonight), & Haywood (also has size/length/athleticism). Whatever's left over, you've got our remaining post players. From there, you only go with 2 bigs when you absolutely have to, which is dook against Bagley/Carter, Louisville, UVA (I think) and maybe Florida State, which amounts to 5 of 18 ACC games. Most others in the ACC are going to have small ball or stretch 4s and I think Josh & Curt can handle size & length up to 6-7 or 6-8.
Strong agree on both points especially on Josh playing 4 sometimes. We run mostly zone on defense, and if we box out, with our guards ability to rebound, we should be fine if need be.
It would probably look like this:
Lammers
Okogie
Haywood
Tad/Alston
Alvarado
That would be a pretty impressive line-up on the floor for us.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was obvious that Ben was not 100% yesterday. Saw this morning the comment from Pastner that he told him to not worry about rebounding to protect the ankle. That helps to explain some of the dreadful rebounding yesterday.

Both FR guards looked like their film from last year. Both will have their ups and downs this year, but I like the thought of them as how good they could be as 4-yr players. The 2 FR looked like they were playing with a higher energy level than anyone else on the team today. Team otherwise looked sort of like it was in quicksand. our cuts were not nearly as 'violent' today.
NT decided largely not to guard our 4's and pretty much got away with it today. Wright made a couple of nice shots in the 2nd half.
Curtis has such a beautiful stoke, it just looks like the ball should go in every time he shoots it. If he starts finishing close to the rim he will really get it going.

For the season Jose is 18 Ast 7 TO and Curtis is 12 and 4. They also have a combined 15 steals.

Tad looked like he was trying to get the cobwebs off in the first half.

I don't see a big role for Justin going forward unless someone gets hurt. Are you going to give most of your PG min to Jose or Justin. That's an easy answer. So if you want to play him at the 2 who do you play him ahead of - Josh, Tad, Curtis, Brandon? Curtis and Brandon both showed they could handle significant pressure last game and both are better offensive players. All of them shoot FT's better than Justin. It's hard to see more than 6-8 min per game as PG relief for Jose for Justin.

FWIW, I see AD as the starting 5 next season assuming he is here. He is almost as big as Lammers and has a longer reach. He missed his shots today, but they didn't look like bricks, he just didn't make them - a problem the whole team other than Jose had in the first half. I thought Wright looked the best of the Wright, AD, Cole threesome today, but probably not enough to get the start ahead of AD yet. My thought it you have AD at 5, but the offense is run through one of the 4's - Wright, Cole, Sjolund at the high post. AD has a nice spin move in the paint, he needs to make the shot though. Has missed it the past 2 games.

FT shooting was much better today.

Also, great job with the ballhandling today. 16 assists (on 23 made baskets) and only 6 TO. Jose and Curtis were both 4:1 and Alston was 2:1.

Was interesting to see the team come out in m-t-m the first 4 min or so before switching to zone.

Good to get the win and move on.