Article Georgia Tech vs. North Texas Preview

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
[figure="align: left"][figure="align: left"]
Alvarado-200x300.jpeg
[figcap][/figcap][/figure][figcap]Freshman point guard Jose Alvarado (#10) gets to the rack vs. UT-RGV (photo credit to ramblinwreck.com)[/figcap][/figure]Coming off a 78-68 win against Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Tech is ready to battle the Mean Green from the University of North Texas. The Mean Green are in Conference USA (C-USA) with a record of 3-2 overall this season and 0-1 on the road. They lost by 20 to Nebraska and by 12 to Texas-Rio Grande Valley. North Texas does have a win against Bethune-Cookman, who Tech only beat by 3. At the head of the snake is first year head coach Grant McCasland. On March 13th, 2017, he was hired after leading Arkansas State to a 20-win season and having an 80% career winning percentage. McCasland was a three-year letterman at Baylor University where he was an assistant coach with Scott Drew before taking the Arkansas State head job.

The Mean Green are led by sophomore #3, Roosevelt Smart. He is a 6’3” 185-pound guard from Chicago, Illinois. Smart is a transfer from New Mexico Junior College, was ranked 79th for JUCO prospects, and a 3 star according to ESPN. He was originally committed to play for Coach McCasland at Arkansas State, but after McCausland switched jobs to North Texas, Smart followed him to the Mean Green and it has paid off. In the last game against Rogers State, Smart put up 26 points in 28 minutes, going 6-12 from the three-point line and not missing from the charity stripe (4-4). Smart has a nice high release and reminds me a little bit of Adam Smith from a few years ago for Tech. He has no problem putting shots up, and continues to knock down his opportunity at the line.

Running the Mean Green Machine (my trademark is pending), is another 6’3” guard #0, Ryan Woolridge. He is a transfer from University of San Diego and was a two-time winner of C-USA player of the week last year. This year, Woolridge rarely comes out of the game and does a little of everything for his team. He can set up his teammates, like he did last game against Rogers State racking up 9 assists. Woolridge can also call his own number as evidenced by a season high of 21 points to go with a couple 18-point game outings. The only downfall of his play right now is he can get reckless with the ball, along with some poor decision making that is often seen in underclassmen. If we can speed him up, like I think Alvarado can, we should be able to get a lot of chances in transition.

To round out the guard play is yet another sophomore, #1 A.J. Lawson. 6’5”. Lawson was named to the Conference USA all-freshman team last year, while leading the team in scoring at 11.4 points per game. He also can get up on the boards and is another player Coach Pastner would “love to give a big kiss on the cheek” for his guard rebounding skills. He got multiple double-doubles last year and worked for one the last game against Rogers State (10 points and 11 rebounds). He is a big, tough, physical guard who will be a problem for us if we do not box out or over rotate in the zone.

In the post, Georgia Tech should have a Thanksgiving feast with Lammers getting all the stuffing and blocks of meats he wants (pun intended). The Mean Green have a big 6’10” big man from Russia, Mark Tikhonenko, but he is not ready to contribute yet, so they’ll turn to 6’9” senior #50, Shane Temara. Temara’s game is simple: get rebounds, make your put back lay-ups, and set screens for Smart to come off from to get up his shot.

Outside of Roosevelt Smart, Ryan Woolridge, and A.J. Lawson the Mean Green rely on role players such as previously mentioned, Shane Temara, along with a pair of juniors: 6’1” guard, #2 Jorden Duffy and 6’7” forward #5, Allante Holston. Both are solid upperclassmen players and can do a plethora of things for North Texas. Duffy is more of the shooter of the two and Holston is the slasher. Both men can run the floor, with ease, and play in your face defense. I have a feeling Coach McCasland will turn to these two tonight, along with the formidable trio for North Texas.

Prediction: They try to play zone against us, due to their small ball line-up and lack of big men. But Ben Lammers continues his dominance and gets another double-double. Jose Alvarado racks up the steals again and pushes the ball in transition for easy lay ups and dunks (quick S/O to that alley-oop to Moses Wright, I saw a glimpse of the future, and man did I get excited). Also, I am very intrigued to see if Haywood can follow up his solid performance from last game, and even add onto it by finishing a few of those lay-ups that went in and out. Similarly, it'll be interesting to see if Evan Cole can contribute offensively off the bench again. The biggest question for me is if we will play zone given Smart’s shooting ability or take advantage of our size mismatch. I got my prediction right on the dot last game (humble brag) by saying Tech by 10. So, this game, even though I want to say, 12: Tech by 8.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
looking at some of their box scores they seem like a high volume 3 point shooting team although they havent been particularly deadly from there against their D1 opponents. I saw our line had a pretty high -18.5 though. I don't think by the nature of how we play that we'll be able to cover it cause we'd have to hold them to like 50. They shoot in the low 30%s from 3 from the most part with a couple games shooting over 30 times from behind the arc so they'll probably end up scoring enough that we can't cover. Hope the team looks as electric as they did last game.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure how we’ll do in ACC play, but we look like we’re further along than last year. Alvarado and CGB both look improved from even a two games ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great to see CGB playing well. He looked very much deer in the headlights the first few games to me. I am sure there will be ups and downs but now I see the potential.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
CGB reminds me of Anthony Morrow some. Great stroke he just needs to get fully acclimated to the college game but it's getting there for sure.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am impressed with CGB's court vision. Surprising passing ability, which is court vision you can't teach. He may be a shooter--we will see. With one exception, the freshmen are all showing very high upside (ACC) potential--potential being the key word.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
CGB reminds me of Anthony Morrow some. Great stroke he just needs to get fully acclimated to the college game but it's getting there for sure.
Strikes me he is much more than just a shooter, which Morrow was most of his career at GT. CBG had a nice floor game as well as some nice shooting. Color me impressed.

Now, can he contribute consistently? Freshmen are usually up and down. Excepting Alvarado.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Still searching for the answer at the 4 spot. And getting outrebounded will get some attention even though giving up 6 offensive rebounds ain't all that bad.

On the perimeter though a lot to like especially Jose. We have some legit options. On the surface it looked like we were reasonably efficient on offense (would love to see those stats) but would really like to see us start scoring in the 70's - especially against this level of competition.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody see the game?
Is Alston a bit like TJ, in that he is an erratic shooter.And can get to line but sometimes doesn't.
Haywood is putting up some good assist/TO #s.Impressive for a "shooter".
Looks like Alvarado is becoming our "back-side rebounder "-- a 6ft PG, 2nd on team in rebs?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Jose was wonderful. Haywood was great today. Been wasn't quite himself but still had a big impact. Jackson provided the aggressiveness and offensive threat that we need.

Some other thought. No idea why Alston played so much, especially when we had 3 other guards in there. He had more minutes than Gueye/Cole/Wright combined which is absurd to me.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody see the game?
Is Alston a bit like TJ, in that he is an erratic shooter.And can get to line but sometimes doesn't.
Haywood is putting up some good assist/TO #s.Impressive for a "shooter".
Looks like Alvarado is becoming our "back-side rebounder "-- a 6ft PG, 2nd on team in rebs?
Alston just looked like he lacked a little energy today to my untrained eyes. he was still getting into the lane but either (1) forced up a poor shot or (2) just couldn't finish when he had a good shot.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there. North Texas played Pack-line D most of the game- similar to UVA. Lammers ankle limited him - and we played a lot of small ball so very few offensive boards (I only remember two). They started out double teaming Lammers - with AD's man. AD took three or four WIDE open shots - they were daring him to shoot and he took his time and did - a three, couple of long twos ... did not make any (not bricks, but made none)... Pastner had enough as other than Jose offense could not hit side of barn in first half. Cole got minutes - did nothing ... then Wright - ditto .. then went small last few minutes of first half which did produce better ball movement. Jose had 12 of our 22 first half points. Jackson did not start but played a lot - pretty good other than a couple forced shots.
Alston played a good game overall, but never got untracked .. missed some open looks early and they looked to be keying on him and he did not get many shots up. His penetration did not work well vs. Pack-line - kept running into bigger players and dishing it out.

D was solid most of night - mostly match up zone - and until they got a couple good looks late second half we did really good job contesting them - and Lammers ate up much of what came inside. We forced at least 15 turnovers .... had less than 10 .... was a difference today.

Second half -started Jose, Alston, Tadric, Haywood, and Lammers ... Tadric made some nice moves to score early ... and they dared Haywood to shoot and that was a mistake ... made I think 4 of 5 threes in second half and broke it open. Got up 13 or so ..... then I don't think it got closer than 8-9 rest of the way. Wright came in and made a couple nice shots and blocks ... and did some dumb things ..... AD had really nice assist from high post to Jose for 3 point play when he spelled Ben.

Jose - really good game.
Hayward - finally let the offense come to him ... all but one shot was a good one and in system. Better D than past games. Very nice form on the J.
Alston - good, but zip on offense today.
Jackson - good to have back - gives us more options ... and our most aggressive player.
Not sure if anyone won or stood out at the 4 spot today ... AD is the best on defense ... Wright probably the best on offense .. Cole had a rough day on both ends.
Lammers - hope he is 100 percent for Tuesday. Ogbonda only played at mop-up time ... Ben played @35 minutes (AD played center when he was out) - good game but not great - ankle limited him it appeared.