Georgia Tech Rushing Totals After 8 Games

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s what people said about VPISUs rushing defense!

Who said that? Their defense was lowly rated before our game. They gave up 49 to Old Dominion and 45 to Notre Dame. If anyone thought VTs defense was good they didn’t look at this years results.

Mendenhall owns us, Richt owns us and has vastly superior athletes, ugag has vastly superior athletes and has basically two weeks to prep for us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Figured why not round this out with other years. I skipped 2015 because I got bored and it was just a very bad year throughout. Don't think we can learn much from it.
279 yd/game
2.5 TD/game
2.25 TO/game
19/57 (33%) 3rd Down Conv

455 yd/game
6.75 TD/game
0.75 TO/game
23/35 (66%) 3rd Down Conv

274 yd/game
2.17 TD/game
1.33 TO/game
40/90 (44%) 3rd Down Conv

347 yd/game
3.40 TD/game
1.40 TO/game
32/68 (47%) 3rd Down Conv

244 yd/game
1.5 TD/game
1.5 TO/game
18/49 (37%) 3rd Down Conv

264 yd/game
3.11 TD/game
1.00 TO/game
53/115 (46%) 3rd Down Conv

330 yd/game
3.3 TD/game
1.67 TO/game
17/29 (59%) 3rd Down Conv

345 yd/game
3.4 TD/game
1.36 TO/game
75/134 (56%) 3rd Down Conv

227 yd/game
2.2 TD/game
2.33 TO/game
41/95 (43%) 3rd Down Conv

361 yd/game
4.71 TD/game
1.43 TO/game
49/80 (61%) 3rd Down Conv

237 yd/game
2.1 TD/game
1.57 TO/game
34/97 (35%) 3rd Down Conv

385 yd/game
4.71 TD/game
1.43 TO/game
54/97 (56%) 3rd Down Conv

241 yd/game
1.80 TD/game
1.60 TO/game
34/76 (45%) 3rd Down Conv

364 yd/game
4.50 TD/game
1.38 TO/game
64/106 (60%) 3rd Down Conv

303 yd/game
1.86 TD/game
2.00 TO/game
36/96 (38%) 3rd Down Conv

347 yd/game
3.00 TD/game
1.83 TO/game
33/82 (40%) 3rd Down Conv

148 yd/game
1.33 TD/game
0.67 TO/game
17/39 (44%) 3rd Down Conv

336 yd/game
3.91 TD/game
1.36 TO/game
87/160 (54%) 3rd Down Conv

231 yd/game
1.0 TD/game
3.00 TO/game
19/49 (39%) 3rd Down Conv

292 yd/game
3.11 TD/game
1.67 TO/game
40/112 (36%) 3rd Down Conv

Couple things I noticed going through some box scores (some I don't want to ever see again).
1. There's a reason we got spanked by LSU in 2008 and it had nothing to do with them having extra time to prepare for us.
2. 2009 Dwyer was way better than 2008 Dwyer
3. Bebe was an absolute monster
4. Tevin was probably the 3rd best passing QB we've had
5. There wasn't much dropoff at all between Dwyer and Anthony Allen
6. Justin Thomas carried us throughout 2016

I think we've actually probably improved offensively throughout CPJ's tenure here even if it doesn't show up in the wins and losses column. We seem to be a bit similar to last year and 2011 so far this year.
Great post and conclusions.
I think the loss of beast D mills is big part of our sputtering in recent years

U point out the correlations of beast.
I say causation. Boy jet was a difference maker.

Is true freshman #4 a beast or just a little better qb. His limited plays at vt gives hope of a passing Nesbitt = beast

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Who said that? Their defense was lowly rated before our game. They gave up 49 to Old Dominion and 45 to Notre Dame. If anyone thought VTs defense was good they didn’t look at this years results.

Mendenhall owns us, Richt owns us and has vastly superior athletes, ugag has vastly superior athletes and has basically two weeks to prep for us.

A lot of people were lumping VT in with UGA, Clemson and Miami as the big 4 and the odds of beating any of them were slim. Independent of the facts. I am honestly a lot more worried about Virginia than I am about Miami. Miami had no business winning that game last year. I think our odds of beating them are 70/30 in our favor

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Va Tech had the 12th best rush D coming into the game, Bronco is 1-1 since he got to VA. Da U what can I say, should have won last year but yeah it's not been a great match up. And let overstate the obvious about the dwags but somehow the last 4 are 2-2

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I loved watching the game last night, but I caution myself to avoid irrational exuberance relative the VT game and what it might mean going forward. I felt pretty good after the Louisville game and that set me up for a huge letdown.

Agree, just wait for and expect the kick in the nuts. Charlie Brown has never really learned with Lucy. I found myself thinking last night that Miami loss could open the way for us to win Coastal. Now that is delusional.

At half time of the VT game, we were at a party and all wondering how we'd get the kick in the second half. Instead we played the most complete game of the year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
When you cannot pass successfully, you must run. The fact that some teams can't stop it is amazing, but that is all this is about.
Some teams pass because they can’t run. Why can’t they run? It really isn’t all that hard. By some people’s measure we have untalented crappy players and we can still run. Why can’t those talented teams run? Why teams can’t stop the pass when they know it’s coming is also amazing.

Deleted member 2897

I was talking about rushing defense.

Mendenhall doesn’t own us here. Richt is a tool.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know where you are getting that stat. VT is #92 in rushing defense and #109 in total defense--FBS games only.

They went from #12 rushing before the game to #92 AFTER

Edit: VT sits #80 in rushing D having given up a total of 1203 yards on the ground through 7 games. GT put 465 of that in ONE game

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
They went from #12 rushing before the game to #92 AFTER

Edit: VT sits #80 in rushing D having given up a total of 1203 yards on the ground through 7 games. GT put 465 of that in ONE game

The stat I quoted--VPI number 92 in rushing defense--doesn't include FCS stats, such as VPI's game against Bill & Mary. Either way, there is pretty big difference between your original post and your edit. Anyone with reasonable math skills would know that they didn't drop 68 places based on our game with them. (I won't call that school VT anymore--it's misdescriptive)

Other opponents rushing defense rankings (FBS): Bowling Green 129, Louisville 119, S. Fl 115, Pitt 100. Duke was 48, but gave up almost 500 rushing yards to Pitt today.

Upcoming: UNC 48, Miami 31, UVA 32, UGa 46

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So we are rushing 366 per game.
Who thinks we will do that
UNC, miami, uva, uga?

UNC no cause we will work on a few passes and the are a good short passing team.
Mia - yes at least..
Uva- good team no but close.
Uga- good passing team w strong run. But defense may rise up. Hope we get 250 and p.k *** for 250( Ingraham to Carter)! NEXT VICTORY OR DEATH GAME

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Total stats mean little.
VT got destroyed by ODU without needing to run, yet their rushing defense would look good. VT was ranked 107 in Rushing S&P+. I believe we have exposed that likely be accurate. Overall S&P for VT defense was 67th.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The stat I quoted--VPI number 92 in rushing defense--doesn't include FCS stats, such as VPI's game against Bill & Mary. Either way, there is pretty big difference between your original post and your edit. Anyone with reasonable math skills would know that they didn't drop 68 places based on our game with them. (I won't call that school VT anymore--it's misdescriptive)

Other opponents rushing defense rankings (FBS): Bowling Green 129, Louisville 119, S. Fl 115, Pitt 100. Duke was 48, but gave up almost 500 rushing yards to Pitt today.

In VT 6 games before Tech they had given up 738 yards rushing or 123 yards per game. Tech rushed for 465 yards or almost 4 times what VT was giving up before their game against Tech. You can dispute whether it's now the 92 or 80 but the 80 is their NCAA rushing defense ranking as of 10/26/18, https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people were lumping VT in with UGA, Clemson and Miami as the big 4 and the odds of beating any of them were slim. Independent of the facts. I am honestly a lot more worried about Virginia than I am about Miami. Miami had no business winning that game last year. I think our odds of beating them are 70/30 in our favor

Miami is one of the most overrated teams in the nation. They were outclassed by BC last night.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree, just wait for and expect the kick in the nuts. Charlie Brown has never really learned with Lucy. I found myself thinking last night that Miami loss could open the way for us to win Coastal. Now that is delusional.

At half time of the VT game, we were at a party and all wondering how we'd get the kick in the second half. Instead we played the most complete game of the year.

Pretty simple, really. If they can get into our backfield, we're toast. If they can't, they're toast.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck

Is this a precursor to saying if we beat any of those 4 teams, it's because we should have? Or what's the excuse for Johnson screwing up and finding a way to win... Should it happen?