Georgia Tech Rollcall Opportunity

crut

Helluva Engineer
As a Tech alum, I am pretty disappointed with this thread. There are a lot of ways to make your point about AA investments heard, and this is a pretty poor and stupid one IMHO. I am 99% sure that your "message" will be received by a volunteer at Roll Call and never read again, and definitely not by anyone that matters in decision making in athletics funding.

Like all years, I will be donating to both Roll Call and the AA. As much as I absolutely love Georgia Tech athletics (as evinced by how much time I waste here :p), I care about the academic success of the school just as much.

Moreover, it has not gone unnoticed by me that the school is currently in the middle of one of the most ambitious and well-publicized fund raising efforts on behalf of the AA that I can ever remember. With that initiative already going on, I am honestly not sure what the point of your protest is at all. That said, each to their own. I have no problem with the OP doing this, I would just not encourage others to do the same. Instead, go to the link below and make a bigger donation there.

http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0

I respect your opinion. But my perception is that the school of Georgia Tech is neglecting me as an alum by being a roadblock to my connection to the community, athletics. I want to apply pressure to them to change how they interact with the athletics department. Do you know of a bwtter way to do this than to with hold money from the school until they improve that relationship? I don't think it is unfair to treat them how I feel they are treating me.

And you're right, there's a chance some rando reads the critique and does nothing. But there's also the chance it does reach someone. But if I don't do something like this, there's 0 chance what so ever.

crut

Helluva Engineer
To clarify my response above... this act is not a means of just trying to get more money to GTAA, it's a systematic issue that goes far beyond that.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The real issue to me is that when things are going great with the GTAA then Roll Call ( the school as it were) wants to be included in the "group photo".

And they are not shy about demanding things. As an example, when Cremins first took us to a Final Four (in a smaller venue than what they use now - fewer tickets available) I had friends that had bought basketball season tickets even before the old Metro Conference. They were at games in AMC when there were 700 people there, but could not get tickets to the Final Four regardless of their A-T contributions.

Yet when I was at that Final Four I literally met GT profs, employees at the game & festivities before the game who, by their own admission did not give to A-T or even go to games. But somehow the GTAA was ordered to provide these folks with tickets and, I was told, accommodations and travel. And those who had supported GTAA during the worst days ever were locked out.

But when things are not going so good for the GTAA, Roll Call and their buddies do not even want to share mailing addresses. It is suddenly beneath them to sully their hands with anything athletic related.

It would do the entire school a world of good if Roll Call had to, for a while, pick their own azz up on Bobby Dodd Way after getting kicked in the groin.

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not giving a dime more than I have to for academics at Tech. They don’t need it anywhere as bad as athletics. Good post OP I’m 28 and if young folks like us step up it can only help.

Our Alumni who don’t care enough about sports donations are a problem IMO.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I’m not giving a dime more than I have to for academics at Tech. They don’t need it anywhere as bad as athletics. Good post OP I’m 28 and if young folks like us step up it can only help.

Our Alumni who don’t care enough about sports donations are a problem IMO.

Just make sure you give a penny ;)