Georgia Tech Rollcall Opportunity

crut

Helluva Engineer
Today Georgia Tech sent out an email about donating to Roll Call for "Giving Tuesday" (the day after Cyber Monday apparently). I think this is a good opportunity to make a statement to the school. I will be giving $0.01 to get the AT point as well as to be able to make a statement that I will not be donating more to Georgia Tech until they make supporting the athletics department more of a priority, because the athletics of Georgia Tech are what keep me connected to the university.

I hope you all will join me in doing this if you feel the same. There is very limited room to type a comment, so I am going to enter a link to an image of the text I want to submit. To save everyone else time, here is the link I will be using:

I am going to put "See my comment here:_____" and paste the link.

Thanks

Today Georgia Tech sent out an email about donating to Roll Call for "Giving Tuesday" (the day after Cyber Monday apparently). I think this is a good opportunity to make a statement to the school. I will be giving $0.01 to get the AT point as well as to be able to make a statement that I will not be donating more to Georgia Tech until they make supporting the athletics department more of a priority, because the athletics of Georgia Tech are what keep me connected to the university.

I hope you all will join me in doing this if you feel the same. There is very limited room to type a comment, so I am going to enter a link to an image of the text I want to submit. To save everyone else time, here is the link I will be using:

Thanks

I certainly hope you are personally donating to the AT, otherwise your ploy means nothing.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I sincerely hope your actions make an impact on someone at GT. After following this board for awhile, I am somewhat disenchanted when thinking about the relationship between the Hill and Athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Thanks

Fantastic idea

Deleted member 2897

I read sometime IIRC that something like 35% of Georgia Tech alumni give back to the Institute proper through channels like Roll Call. 8% give to the AT Fund. I'd argue based on our academic reputation, that they're doing just fine and that folks need to either give more to the AT Fund instead, the Institute needs to give a higher percentage of this giving to Athletics, or both.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion, and I'm on the side that GT and CPJ should go their separate ways sooner rather than later: If you want to withhold from donating to the AT fund, that's your perogative. However, that's an opinion you should keep to yourself and not try to persuade others to do what they wish with their money. At the end of the day, you're only hurting the OVERALL program that we all love, and that's cutting your nose to spite your face.

Just my opinion, and I'm on the side that GT and CPJ should go their separate ways sooner rather than later: If you want to withhold from donating to the AT fund, that's your perogative. However, that's an opinion you should keep to yourself and not try to persuade others to do what they wish with their money. At the end of the day, you're only hurting the OVERALL program that we all love, and that's cutting your nose to spite your face.
Just to be sure you read the original post, he was talking about not giving to the Alumni Roll Call, but still giving to the Athletics fund.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate this being posted but for the non alums out there why are we not being contacted? I have set my contribution uthrough by my own efforts so it doesn't affect me one way or the other but I'm not the usual sidewalk fan ;) When is the AT Fund or GTAA going to treat sidewalk fans as the asset they are? And yes, I've reached our to TStan about this.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is the ultimate low-hanging fruit. When Tech sends out the Roll Call invite, all they have to do is mention ... "Did you know that of the Top 50 universities in the USA that feature Division 1 athletics, almost a third of alumni give to both the academic AND the athletic programs. But at Tech, less than 10% support the athletic program. This is your opportunity to help Tech in many ways, including athletics, which not only unites Tech alumni after graduation, but serves as our "front porch" to the world. Please be generous and include your support today. No amount is too small and will help continue the Tech tradition of winning. On an off the field."

Bingo. Tech alumni are hyper-competitive.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This is the ultimate low-hanging fruit. When Tech sends out the Roll Call invite, all they have to do is mention ... "Did you know that of the Top 50 universities in the USA that feature Division 1 athletics, almost a third of alumni give to both the academic AND the athletic programs. But at Tech, less than 10% support the athletic program. This is your opportunity to help Tech in many ways, including athletics, which not only unites Tech alumni after graduation, but serves as our "front porch" to the world. Please be generous and include your support today. No amount is too small and will help continue the Tech tradition of winning. On an off the field."

Bingo. Tech alumni are hyper-competitive.

Please see my post above yours

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Please see my post above yours

I am not sure today, but I'm pretty sure that the Tech Roll Call comes off the alumni database. At least it did when I did Roll Call as a telesales volunteer. What I think to be true is that the various databases are distinct ... Roll Call is one. GTAA is another, each School has its own. And there is no master database or schema to organize the data. As a marketer, that's the FIRST thing we would do ... so that we can see the giving by each individual and what programs.

Long story short ... sidewalk fans are probably invisible to Tech.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure today, but I'm pretty sure that the Tech Roll Call comes off the alumni database. At least it did when I did Roll Call as a telesales volunteer. What I think to be true is that the various databases are distinct ... Roll Call is one. GTAA is another, each School has its own. And there is no master database or schema to organize the data. As a marketer, that's the FIRST thing we would do ... so that we can see the giving by each individual and what programs.

Long story short ... sidewalk fans are probably invisible to Tech.

We are until renewal time or when WE contact the GTAA to set up a contribution

crut

Helluva Engineer

This donation does not affect peoples donations to GTAA. I encourage everyone to donate to GTAA. I also am not trying to persuade anyone. No where did I say: this is why you shouldnt donate to the school side of Georgia Tech.

However, I know there are a lot of people who agree with me that the school side of Georgia Tech is a roadblock for the growth of Georgia Tech athletics, and I felt I had seen a good oppotunity to protest this was wanted to make that option available to others.

crut

Helluva Engineer
This made me laugh.

O85gYJw

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is the key. Put pressure on roll call by not donating there and letting em know why. Donate to AT.

Too many donors dont realize they are separated and unrelated. And the school hords the channels blocking out AT Fund. Its actually a unspoken competition

Gt gets a TON of money through donations. The AA hardly anything. If that was just a touch more balanced or supported it would be so much different

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
As a Tech alum, I am pretty disappointed with this thread. There are a lot of ways to make your point about AA investments heard, and this is a pretty poor and stupid one IMHO. I am 99% sure that your "message" will be received by a volunteer at Roll Call and never read again, and definitely not by anyone that matters in decision making in athletics funding.

Like all years, I will be donating to both Roll Call and the AA. As much as I absolutely love Georgia Tech athletics (as evinced by how much time I waste here :p), I care about the academic success of the school just as much.

Moreover, it has not gone unnoticed by me that the school is currently in the middle of one of the most ambitious and well-publicized fund raising efforts on behalf of the AA that I can ever remember. With that initiative already going on, I am honestly not sure what the point of your protest is at all. That said, each to their own. I have no problem with the OP doing this, I would just not encourage others to do the same. Instead, go to the link below and make a bigger donation there.

http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0

This is the key. Put pressure on roll call by not donating there and letting em know why. Donate to AT.

Too many donors dont realize they are separated and unrelated. And the school hords the channels blocking out AT Fund. Its actually a unspoken competition

Gt gets a TON of money through donations. The AA hardly anything. If that was just a touch more balanced or supported it would be so much different
The problem with not giving to the Roll Call is that AT priority points include CONSECUTIVE years of giving to the Roll Call.