Georgia Tech Recruiting: Baseball 2016

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
A lot of good players. Right now Perfect Game has us with the #9 class (of course depends who shows up). What's surprising is only 3 of 9 are pitchers. If Gooden and Wilson show up at GT (don't go to minors) that will help a lot. Each player is linked to Perfect Game bio.

Nat Rank Name Pos Ht Wt B T High School Hometown St
25 Garrett Gooden RHP 6-5 210 R R St. Pius X Decatur GA
129 Jay Wilson RHP 6-5 185 L R Loveland Cincinnati OH
157 Taylor Trammell OF 6-2 195 L L Mount Paran Christian School Powder Springs GA
173 Austin Wilhite SS 5-10 160 R R Buford Buford GA
175 Nick Wilhite OF 5-10 164 L L Buford Buford GA
184 Kyle McCann C 6-3 190 L R Lambert Suwanee GA
272 Chase Murray OF 6-1 180 L R Cincinatti Hills Christian Academy Cincinnati OH
500 Jay Shadday LHP 6-1 180 L L Darlington Rome GA
500 Parker McCoy SS 5-11 165 L R Walton Marietta GA
Any idea what these guys are ranked on perfect game today? I think the rankings have changed a lot in the year. Trammell is the only one in the top 100 I believe.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any idea what these guys are ranked on perfect game today? I think the rankings have changed a lot in the year. Trammell is the only one in the top 100 I believe.

I don't have access to the detailed rankings anymore ..... Perfect Game does have us with the 20th class right now and 1 person in top 100. http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx?g=2016

But I had looked at the Perfect Game Top 3 groupings and here were the results:
Ranking Name Pos.
27 Xzavion Curry SS
39 Garrett Gooden RHP
185 Kyle McCann C
207 Jason Rooks OF
219 Taylor Trammell OF
226 Austin Wilhite 2B
227 Nick Wilhite OF
230 Jay Wilson RHP
301 Chase Murray OF

I'm a broken record on this .... but .... a top 100 player is about 10% or less likely to go to college. It's not who commits as much as who makes it to college. We are amazingly lucky with Hughes.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have access to the detailed rankings anymore ..... Perfect Game does have us with the 20th class right now and 1 person in top 100. http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx?g=2016

But I had looked at the Perfect Game Top 3 groupings and here were the results:
Ranking Name Pos.
27 Xzavion Curry SS
39 Garrett Gooden RHP
185 Kyle McCann C
207 Jason Rooks OF
219 Taylor Trammell OF
226 Austin Wilhite 2B
227 Nick Wilhite OF
230 Jay Wilson RHP
301 Chase Murray OF

I'm a broken record on this .... but .... a top 100 player is about 10% or less likely to go to college. It's not who commits as much as who makes it to college. We are amazingly lucky with Hughes.

It's pretty crazy Hughes didn't sign with the Orioles, but I believe Hughes may actually have been ranked lower than English, Bart, and Gibson on Perfect Game. I think Trammel and Curry are the main two that could end up going pro, but there's a chance 4-6 of those guys are drafted. Would be incredible to keep them all.

Game day!!!!!!

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Stallings was also rated higher...you can view the 2015 rankings now but not the players rankings from the kids thats are still in high school. Ive recently started getting into baseball recruiting so that is impressive we have kept 3 top 100 players in the last two years. Last two classes of our guys rated in the top 200.

2014:

Kel Johnson (#52 overall) OF (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Daniel Gooden (#150 overall) LHP (GA)GEORGIA TECH *TRANSFERRED*

2015:

Tyler Stephenson (#6 overall) C (GA) - 1st round [11th pick in the draft] CINCINNATI REDS

Tristin English (#39 overall) RHP/1B (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Brandt Stallings (#51 overall) OF (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Joey Bart (#120 overall) C (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Keyton Gibson (#125 overall) RHP (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Jonathan Hughes (#142 overall) RHP (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Last edited:

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Also they let you view the rankings for the 2016/2017/2018 classes for free during Christmas. I had written them down but I believe they updated the rankings as of late January so I am not sure where they are now. This was as of 2 months ago.

2016:

Taylor Trammell (#52 overall) OF (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Garrett Gooden (#191 overall) RHP (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Xzavion Curry (#194 overall) SS/RHP (GA) - GEORGIA TECH

Also have 3 top 100 commits in the 2017 class and 1 top 15 player committed in 2018.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
College Baseball is so weird, it's the only sport where you say may I hope we recruit great, well not to great, maybe just really good.

I am happy for all the GT recruits that seem to be doing amazing.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
College Baseball is so weird, it's the only sport where you say may I hope we recruit great, well not to great, maybe just really good.

I am happy for all the GT recruits that seem to be doing amazing.

Yes, very strange. It's a shame how the minor league system completely kills college baseball-what if the top 75 college basketball recruits went pro every year? It would be an ugly sport.

Also, it's disappointing that GT doesn't fare very well in a sport like this, where the top players who make it to campus aren't going to be overwhelmingly pro-ball oriented like in basketball. We're in a talent-loaded state in a sport that encourages recruits to stay in-state, have a school and campus that is attractive to kids from high-income travel ball families, play in the premier conference, have sent tons of guys to the pros...and here we are. College baseball is a sport where all of our disadvantages become advantages and yet we generally do equal-to-better in football.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer

The Next Marcus Stroman, or Pokey Reese: Xzavion Curry SS/RHP Mays HS(GT Commit)- 1. Elite center of balance on the mound, and is an elite athlete all around. Keeps a solid bend in knees throughout, helping him explode the backside with his arm. Natural ability to locate on the outside corner, and creates heavy bore inside with his FB. Very aggressive+high tempo pitcher who is very confident in his stuff. He has never had a pitching coach, yet has been up to 94 on the bump. Sits regularly at 89-91 touching 92 consistently. Handles adversity on the mound as good as any pitcher I've seen. This is crucial to making it to the big leagues. He goes right back in and attacks the next hitter without showing emotion. The FB is a 5/7 w plus life(inside bore, rides up, sink or cut away). CB is a 5/6 w/ good shape & natural ability to throw it. 12/6 at times, and seems to have an extra gear for depth at the plate. CH 45/55 very impressive fader and threw it 8-10 times today, for strikes or low in the zone. Full circle OH arm action, that is very low effort. Doesn't pull out of glove, has a Dominican like looseness in drop. Understands how to create his highest velocity. Arm gains speed early and is lightning out of the hand. Curry has more arm speed than some guys I've seen in the mid 90's. When he's sitting 10-15 lbs heavier he will hold velo even better, and throw harder. Things like finishing parallel, full extension, lining up the feet in "down phase", and gaining ground in stride(while in power position) are just some of my plans to put him over the top. 2. Very smooth rhythm in swing, and is able to track pitches very well. Timing at the plate is impressive, and is able to be independent with stride foot. Repeats launch position every time I've seen him hit. Keeps hands back well in separation phase & has very sneaky raw power. A/AVG to plus runner, plus plus arm from SS, going to be a 60 defender in the future with that range as well. I think he fits at SS/2B with the ability to play the OF. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, very good teammate & student. Imagine Xzavion, Bart, Bailey, Hughes, The Wilhite Twins, Connor Thomas, Joliff, Stallings, Hall are together.

https://www.mlbscoutbreakdowns.com/marcus-stroman-or-pokey-reese-xzavion-curry-ssrhp-mays-hs/

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yes, very strange. It's a shame how the minor league system completely kills college baseball-what if the top 75 college basketball recruits went pro every year? It would be an ugly sport.

Also, it's disappointing that GT doesn't fare very well in a sport like this, where the top players who make it to campus aren't going to be overwhelmingly pro-ball oriented like in basketball. We're in a talent-loaded state in a sport that encourages recruits to stay in-state, have a school and campus that is attractive to kids from high-income travel ball families, play in the premier conference, have sent tons of guys to the pros...and here we are. College baseball is a sport where all of our disadvantages become advantages and yet we generally do equal-to-better in football.

Not sure I agree with this analysis. Baseball has certainly had down years (like last year) and this year remains to be seen, but we have generally had a very good baseball program, with consistent NCAA Tournament appearances. If your criticism is that we haven't gone deep enough in the NCAA's, I get that, and agree that ..until very recently, Hall was too focused on big boppers in the lineup than he was on pitching. But he seems to have righted that ship (or is trying to). Could we do better? Yes. But are we a consistent Top 25 team? Yes. Just not often in the Top Ten. Plus, we successfully compete with our SEC neighbors like UGa and Auburn.

In football, we are not a consistent Top 25 team. We consider it a success when we finish in the Top 25. It is just as rare that we reach the Top Ten. But we do not successfully compete with our SEC neighbors up the road in Athens. In my mind, football is nowhere near as successful at GT as baseball is. And that's with CPJ doing a good job, imho.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The Next Marcus Stroman, or Pokey Reese: Xzavion Curry SS/RHP Mays HS(GT Commit)- 1. Elite center of balance on the mound, and is an elite athlete all around. Keeps a solid bend in knees throughout, helping him explode the backside with his arm. Natural ability to locate on the outside corner, and creates heavy bore inside with his FB. Very aggressive+high tempo pitcher who is very confident in his stuff. He has never had a pitching coach, yet has been up to 94 on the bump. Sits regularly at 89-91 touching 92 consistently. Handles adversity on the mound as good as any pitcher I've seen. This is crucial to making it to the big leagues. He goes right back in and attacks the next hitter without showing emotion. The FB is a 5/7 w plus life(inside bore, rides up, sink or cut away). CB is a 5/6 w/ good shape & natural ability to throw it. 12/6 at times, and seems to have an extra gear for depth at the plate. CH 45/55 very impressive fader and threw it 8-10 times today, for strikes or low in the zone. Full circle OH arm action, that is very low effort. Doesn't pull out of glove, has a Dominican like looseness in drop. Understands how to create his highest velocity. Arm gains speed early and is lightning out of the hand. Curry has more arm speed than some guys I've seen in the mid 90's. When he's sitting 10-15 lbs heavier he will hold velo even better, and throw harder. Things like finishing parallel, full extension, lining up the feet in "down phase", and gaining ground in stride(while in power position) are just some of my plans to put him over the top. 2. Very smooth rhythm in swing, and is able to track pitches very well. Timing at the plate is impressive, and is able to be independent with stride foot. Repeats launch position every time I've seen him hit. Keeps hands back well in separation phase & has very sneaky raw power. A/AVG to plus runner, plus plus arm from SS, going to be a 60 defender in the future with that range as well. I think he fits at SS/2B with the ability to play the OF. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, very good teammate & student. Imagine Xzavion, Bart, Bailey, Hughes, The Wilhite Twins, Connor Thomas, Joliff, Stallings, Hall are together.

https://www.mlbscoutbreakdowns.com/marcus-stroman-or-pokey-reese-xzavion-curry-ssrhp-mays-hs/

Pitches 94 mph and accuracy and has never been coached? SS who can hit. Wow. Real talent. Sounds like Gold +.

June 9th 2016 is the day we find out the likelihood he comes to GT. If you were offered over $1M, what would you do? Hughes was an exception since the O's offered him $1M in a $1.4M slot (insulting move not usually done for high picks). Hughes should do better in 2018 or 2019 draft.

I'll do a post on draft prospects later.

Pitches 94 mph and accuracy and has never been coached? SS who can hit. Wow. Real talent. Sounds like Gold +.

June 9th 2016 is the day we find out the likelihood he comes to GT. If you were offered over $1M, what would you do? Hughes was an exception since the O's offered him $1M in a $1.4M slot (insulting move not usually done for high picks). Hughes should do better in 2018 or 2019 draft.

I'll do a post on draft prospects later.
The odds that this young man is playing for Tech is slim. He's is a five tool player.