Georgia Tech Players Doing Georgia Tech Things

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
#TGW: JACKETS WITHOUT BORDERS TAKE FLIGHT FOR PUERTO RICO
Georgia Tech student-athletes will offer a helping hand for those devastated by Hurricane Maria

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/total-person/spec-rel/050518aaa.html

A group of 18 student-athletes -- women's basketball's Martine Fortune and Chanin Scott, football's Brad Stewart, Hamp Gibbs, Charlie Clark, Carson Fletcher, Austin Nash and Liam Byrne, volleyball's Sam Knapp, swimming and diving's Jonathan Vater, Henry Carman, Jacob Kreider, Julia Shuford, Celine Nugent, Catriona MacGregor and Caroline Doi and Annabel McAtee and Hyewon Jung of the spirit squad -- as well as three athletics staff members -- Total Person Program coordinator Maureen Tremblay, director of brand and ideation Brad Malone and volleyball assistant coach Randi Raff -- boarded a plane at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport destined for Puerto Rico. They arrived safely on Saturday afternoon.

The group brings with it the goal of helping raise houses to an area on the outskirts of San Juan that was decimated by Hurricane Maria, raise spirits and hopes of the people in that community and continue to raise the student-athletes' awareness and consciousness of the world around them -- all priorities of this initiative, which is the brainchild of director of athletics Todd Stansbury.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Great to see Tevin graduating (again), but I’m just wondering what he’s gonna be doing next year now that GA is no longer an option. As much as we’d love to keep him around, he may want to continue advancing his career in a position coaching role.
I think that we hired him to an analyst role or something like that. He filled one of the four new positions.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Graduation is what it's all about for these guys. Really proud to have them as fellow alumni. They have worked hard to get their degrees.

BigE

Georgia Tech Fan
Dr. Chen, Statics. First test, cookbook, A. Second test, cookbook, A. Third test, shaft, F. Forth test, shaft, F. Final, shaft, F. You fail. Learn to study. Come back. Take again. Make A.

Me. First test, shaft. Second test, shaft. Pink parachute. Take chance on no Chen. Make C.
I had Dr Chen and remember him vividly saying, “after Drop Day, I shaft you.” Even with his attitude, I loved Statics.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In Puerto Rico, ‘life-changing experience’ for Georgia Tech athletes

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...P/?utm_source=techsports_fb&utm_medium=social

Brad Stewart flew home from Puerto Rico on May 12 with memories that he intends never to forget. The Georgia Tech wide receiver plans to keep forever a Puerto Rican flag that he received as a gift. After spending a week-long service trip on the hurricane-ravaged island with 17 other Tech athletes and three staff members, Stewart wants to ensure that the lessons of his experience there do not stray too far from him.

“Hopefully I’ll continue to keep those images in my head and act upon them,” Stewart said. “We can’t save the world in one day but every step towards it you can, you should take.”

While Stewart’s football team and its fans grumbled about the cancellation of the Central Florida game because of Hurricane Irma, he and the rest of the travel party came face to face with hurricane damage that was far more grave.

“You see articles and stuff online with pictures and stuff like that, but until you actually experience it firsthand, you’re not going to understand what they’re really going through,” Stewart said. “And when I got there, it was just crazy what they were having to go through day to day just to continue to make it by and continue to help other community members who couldn’t help or weren’t able to help.”

Stewart and his five teammates who made the trip (Liam Byrne, Charlie Clark, Carson Fletcher, Hamp Gibbs, Austin Nash) have already shared plans to get more teammates involved in the future. Stewart called it a “life-changing experience.”

“Hopefully, the number continues to grow and becomes a really big event for Georgia Tech because every student-athlete that goes will be impacted positively and really, really help change their lives in a positive way,” Stewart said.