Georgia Tech (PK) @ UNC

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
While Tech's yards allowed per play on defense (among other things) really concerns me, I think a real key to the game is the first series for Tech on offense (maybe first 2). If Tech hits the UNC D in the mouth and takes its opening possession down for a score (or even hits a big play for a TD), the UNC D's body language on the field the last couple of games suggests that there will be a lot of "here we go again" and the usual result will follow...meaning Tech could hang a basketball score on them. However, a turnover or costly penalties that stop a drive could ignite a spark of confidence and could cause them to play lights out, especially at home, although about four fans with a frisbee are likely to show up.

I also agree with the post that said let's over-play the run and make them prove they can beat us through the air. Take one thing away completely. Their QB will throw us a couple, I suspect. Put more guys in the box than a typical Wednesday at Jenna Jameson's house and see what happens.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC can't feel as confident with their inconsistencies no matter how bad our D is. Also, Fedora is one of the OCs I see who would rather do his own thing on O instead of playing a conservative, smash-mouth football like Duke did and attack our weakness in the middle of the D.

I agree with the fedora part but we cant defend the pass just as badly.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Roger that........NC is complete mystery.....they have good athletes at skill positions.......meat on Dl and guy can throw but giving up 70 points is un heard of to me...we need to focus since this may be the day that NC comes out of their funk.
And don't forget, the experts thought before the season started that they might be the best team in the ACC. :ROFLMAO:

Mack

Helluva Engineer
They all frighten me at this point. Until we blow someone out of the stadium this will be a feeling for me all season.
I agree with you......they are a head case........good athletes and facilities and great school to visit......good fan base and every year they beat us in recruiting yet they start off with a bang and if you wait around on them.........they fizz...I think we are in their head even though they did play ND well .We win.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Wow, here are some Football Outsiders stats - comparing different phases of the game and adjusted for strength of opponents (F/+) http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

They have waited until this week so that there is enough data to be able to make better comparisons for this year's team. Most running stats consider that this year's team picks up where last year's left off.

GT STs 10th; UNC 111th. Wow UNC ST is where we can make up some ground.
GT D 77th; UNC 103rd. There is a D worse than ours (tic) and considering strength of opponent.
GT O 3rd; UNC 37th
GT overall 16th; UNC 76th

Again, wow. We are getting a lot of love from the raw cold stats at Football Outsiders. What had to really help is our lack of turnovers up to Duke and long death marches and D ints.
Hey Nuke anybody that gives up 70.......will hurt our death marches.......we should have a good day if we play.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Meh, I think we'll be okay if we don't do the stupid stuff we did last week. They'll move it up and down the field on us, so we just have to hold them to FGs instead of TDs, or even better, force TOs before they can score.

What's kind of funny to me is that they have Elijah Hood at RB and are still unable to run the ball well, especially in short yardage.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There was a story in the N&O a couple weeks ago. The punts he has caught were mostly not returnable. There is some concern about their blocking on ST not giving him a better chance, but no one is saying it's his fault. Also, when teams are scorching UNC for 50 & 70 points, there just aren't that many punts.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was a story in the N&O a couple weeks ago. The punts he has caught were mostly not returnable. There is some concern about their blocking on ST not giving him a better chance, but no one is saying it's his fault. Also, when teams are scorching UNC for 50 & 70 points, there just aren't that many punts.

He appears to have had a lot of chances. Here's his game break down. Most of the yards were against Liberty this year. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/457/puntreturn/offense/gamelog.html

Rodwell just needs to kick them with a lot of hang time or angle OOB. He's done both.

He did return two for TDs against Pitt last year. But only got 3 yard off of us. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/457/puntreturn/offense/gamelog.html