"... Georgia Tech needs a unifying presence"

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, I'll take your word for that.However, I think most of us agree that the real problems are above his (CPJ's)pay grade. This is where I wish we would focus our attention. You cannot turn things around by starting in the middle of an organization. Again, we have come full circle to where we were pre-Rice. But things were much, much worse then.

Hard to be above CPJs pay grade at $2.7M! Just saying...

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Presidents of many schools , I feel, are slowly coming to the realization that athletics is one of the best, if not THE best, advertisements for their school . They might as well consider writing off many costs involved with running their athletic departments as advertising. Successful athletics more than pay for themselves, but it's like so many things, first comes the emphasis and investment. In a way, it's sad, to put so much emphasis on athletics versus academics. But in my mind the two go hand in hand today. It's all about branding and exposure. I feel that Clough and Radakovich got it. I'm not so sure about Peterson and think that's one reason why Bobinski left. He couldn't move the atletic department from the back/ middle of the bus up to the front.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Presidents of many schools , I feel, are slowly coming to the realization that athletics is one of the best, if not THE best, advertisements for their school . They might as well consider writing off many costs involved with running their athletic departments as advertising. Successful athletics more than pay for themselves, but it's like so many things, first comes the emphasis and investment. In a way, it's sad, to put so much emphasis on athletics versus academics. But in my mind the two go hand in hand today. It's all about branding and exposure. I feel that Clough and Radakovich got it. I'm not so sure about Peterson and think that's one reason why Bobinski left. He couldn't move the atletic department from the back/ middle of the bus up to the front.

It's also extremely expensive and for many institutions the cost doesn't out way the benefit. That's not to say that GT would have that issue but I can see how a technical school educator focused on MIT & Cal Tech would consider the proposition of trying to compete with Alabama & FSU futile.