"... Georgia Tech needs a unifying presence"

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link
"The biggest problem with Tech athletics today, as strange as this may sound, isn’t specific to the football team or the basketball team or any team. That’s like blaming the ceiling’s water stains on cheap paint instead of the holes in the roof.

Tech lacks leadership.

Tech lacks a clear understanding of its mission.

Tech lacks a consensus on what it wants to be, or should be, or even what it can be."

LibertyTurns

Banned
From the AJC Schultz article -
"Tech’s president was so detached from athletics the last time the school went through an athletic director search that he basically let one booster run the show and make the hire. How’d that turn out?
The #1 question here is has GT Leadership Team learned anything and is willing/able to dramatically change or are we just going to get more of the same? Below is our current strategic plan and there's one small reference to intercollegiate athletics & zero mentions of it being any part of the plan for the future. The buck stops at the top & Schultz nailed it.

http://www.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/georgia-tech-strategic-plan.pdf

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with the premise of the article. Homer Rice showed the potential of GT athletics at a time when the naysayers were saying that GT could not longer be relevant in big time college athletics (does that sound familiar???).

The one statement that threw me for a loop was the one about "there are people trying to run off CPJ". Huh? Is this for real. Sure there are about 6 lunatics complaining on the various internet sites but this statement isn't serious is it? I know of no serious GT fan, booster or contributor that thinks that we need to change coaches. Most of us DO agree that CPJ's bosses need to do a much better job though.

I agree with the premise of the article. Homer Rice showed the potential of GT athletics at a time when the naysayers were saying that GT could not longer be relevant in big time college athletics (does that sound familiar???).

The one statement that threw me for a loop was the one about "there are people trying to run off CPJ". Huh? Is this for real. Sure there are about 6 lunatics complaining on the various internet sites but this statement isn't serious is it? I know of no serious GT fan, booster or contributor that thinks that we need to change coaches. Most of us DO agree that CPJ's bosses need to do a much better job though.
I only skimmed through it, but where was the statement that people are trying to run off CPJ?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I would say it it a long way from wanting to "run someone off", but I expect GT to have a better winning % than 58, and to have a better record than 14-24 vs our biggest 5 opponents. And maybe a little worse than that if N.D. thrown in.

I think CPJ's biggest forte has been keeping us in games. Only blowout I really could think of is 2008 Peach Bowl, but we did beat ugag that year. Doubt we would ever see a 51 - 7 ccg special. Much less 2 of them.

I just expect much better than 58% winning.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
From the AJC Schultz article -
"Tech’s president was so detached from athletics the last time the school went through an athletic director search that he basically let one booster run the show and make the hire. How’d that turn out?

“We major in moaning and complaining,” said Bill Curry...

LOL, i posted GT is the biggest bunch of ***** whiners ever.

FYI if there is a lack of leadership it starts at the presidents office. They just don't care about athletics. At all. He doesn't put effort to it, support it, and they act like its a burden to the school vs a key component of the school. Nice to see this is finally coming out after I got blasted all week for stating such. Proven again LOL (tic)

#makeGTgreatagain

funny how curry's quote was similar to mine.

hmmm i wonder why?

its not negativity, many involved with this program SEE The issues and are now being vocal to incite change etc

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

not true, there are very serious donors who do not like CPJ at all...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
not true, there are very serious donors who do not like CPJ at all...

Ok, I'll take your word for that.However, I think most of us agree that the real problems are above his (CPJ's)pay grade. This is where I wish we would focus our attention. You cannot turn things around by starting in the middle of an organization. Again, we have come full circle to where we were pre-Rice. But things were much, much worse then.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... FYI if there is a lack of leadership it starts at the presidents office. They just don't care about athletics. At all. He doesn't put effort to it, support it, and they act like its a burden to the school vs a key component of the school. Nice to see this is finally coming out after I got blasted all week for stating such. Proven again LOL (tic)

I agree that the problem on the administration side starts with the President since he (or the BOR who he works for) is in charge. But Peterson's position is very rational. I've been to three homecoming alumni presentations and they all emphasize everything but athletics; except to note our athletes academic ranking is improving. When I asked at different presentations about either a new major which didn't require calculus or allowing more leeway on the calculus in existing majors, the answer came back that academics are the first priority (of course) and we wouldn't do anything to compromise academics. And many of the alumni applauded.

Making it an all or nothing situation concerning compromising athletics is the mindset problem. That was the brilliance of the Total Person concept. It allowed for emphasis on athletics within a strict academic environment. But balanced.

That is the audience Peterson is playing to. And I think a sizable majority of GT alum just don't care or are openly hostile to athletics. Think about the alumni you know. Today I'm going to a GT Student sendoff and the majority of alum who care enough to be involved and be at the send off just mostly don't care about athletics. Only one cares much about football (swam for GT) and another cares about baseball (had a son who played for GT). There is one alum who swam for GT and was openly hostile to any emphasis being placed on athletics.

We're the minority folks. But on the bright side, the search committee is as good as we could hope for. If they can't find and encourage the best possible candidate, it won't be because they don't care or tried. I wish them the best.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL, i posted GT is the biggest bunch of ***** whiners ever.

FYI if there is a lack of leadership it starts at the presidents office. They just don't care about athletics. At all. He doesn't put effort to it, support it, and they act like its a burden to the school vs a key component of the school. Nice to see this is finally coming out after I got blasted all week for stating such. Proven again LOL (tic)

#makeGTgreatagain

funny how curry's quote was similar to mine.

hmmm i wonder why?

its not negativity, many involved with this program SEE The issues and are now being vocal to incite change etc
I agree with this. The lack of administrative leadership is the reason for the continued inconsistency in our football program not the type of scheme we run. Depending on big donors for a large part of the budget creates the added problem that they feel like they should be able to make football decisions. As long as Tech works this way we'll never be as consistent as we all want. I really don't know why any good coach would want to stay under these conditions and for the most part they haven't.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I've castigated the Leadership in the past for not being supportive at all because that's how I see it. Glad to see the current uprising. I'm not saying GT has to abandon it commitment to academic and research excellence. In fact I'm glad they have the vision, passion and tenacity to do so. The results there are clear in those arenas. All I'm saying is nobody in those elite circles would have their precious reputations tarnished if God forbid our athletes were average or slightly below average US students. Nobody wants to see the illiterate moron on TV representing GT, but we could loosen the criteria a bit so it's not so restrictive as to make the Teams competitively disadvantaged to such a degree. We could also pursue high academic potential student athletes with a bit more vigor. There's plenty of smart student athletes that just want to put in a fair amount of study for a decent degree and not have their nuts crushed by GT's academic environment. C'mon Bud, step up and be a leader. GT can excel at anything it puts any amount of effort into. Just put some into athletics. Your strategic plan says "thousands" of people view GT thru the lens of athletics. He either straight out disrespects those people or thinks their opinions are not worth jack. I believe GT's reputation would be enhanced by being both athletically and academically superior.