Georgia Tech - Miami postgame thread

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Folks I just got home and I have been smiling for a while now! From Zach getting tough, I mean TOUGH, yards to JT running the O to CTR luring duh u into a false sense to IJ and Jamal looking like we need them to to CPJ's guts and play calling to the atmosphere I cannot remember a more complete team win! This team is blowing away some long standing hexes and you see each week they're taking another step each week. I am saying they're going to run the table or anything like that but the hope and joy is coming back to GA Tech football!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0169[1].JPG

This pretty says it all!!!

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
Folks I just got home and I have been smiling for a while now! From Zach getting tough, I mean TOUGH, yards to JT running the O to CTR luring duh u into a false sense to IJ and Jamal looking like we need them to to CPJ's guts and play calling to the atmosphere I cannot remember a more complete team win! This team is blowing away some long standing hexes and you see each week they're taking another step each week. I am saying they're going to run the table or anything like that but the hope and joy is coming back to GA Tech football!!!!!!!!!!
I was a few sections over from you

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our defense wasn't dominating (gave up over 350 yards and 9+ yards per play)...but we came close:

Miami ran 44 TOTAL plays. 44...think about that.
Miami had the ball for less than 20 minutes...compared to our over 40 minutes of possession.

Somehow, someway...our defense isn't a championship level defense yet, but we are making big plays when we need to. Those two interceptions by IJ and Golden came at big times in the game. We find a way to make plays on defense when we need them.

Our offense was clinical. Not any huge plays, just methodical will sapping long drives. Zach Laskey is what we thought he was...not a flashy BB, but he doesn't lose yardage, and is good for 3-5 yards a pop every play. He's not exciting, but he's effective.

JT didn't have any signature plays, but made a huge throw to convert 3rd and 15, and had some nice runs to keep the drive going. His stats won't wow you this game, but he made some great reads on pitches. You can tell the defense was scared of letting him turn the corner and keyed on him...which led to our ABs getting some good runs. I think it's safe to say CPJ has shelved the whole "Let's bring in Byerly if we need tough yards" idea.

CPJ has never beaten Miami and VT in the same season, in fact it's been a while since he's beaten either. He's gotten that monkey off his back in back to back weeks. Our hardest Coastal games are over, and we're 2-0. Don't want to jinx us, but the road to that Clemson game is November...

I'll say it again...it's been a fun ride with this team. Not worry about what we're not anymore, and just enjoy this ride.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
not sure if anybody noticed or not but i couldnt help but connect the stat that the last time 4 0f the top 6 teams in the country lost on the same weekend was 1990 and our current undeated team. just saying.....

we are due for the breaks to fall our way for a full season. especially after this pre season and the last 4 or 5 years. we couldnt buy any luck.

WE ARE DUE!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Our defense wasn't dominating (gave up over 350 yards and 9+ yards per play)...but we came close:

Miami ran 44 TOTAL plays. 44...think about that.
Miami had the ball for less than 20 minutes...compared to our over 40 minutes of possession.

Somehow, someway...our defense isn't a championship level defense yet, but we are making big plays when we need to. Those two interceptions by IJ and Golden came at big times in the game. We find a way to make plays on defense when we need them.

Our offense was clinical. Not any huge plays, just methodical will sapping long drives. Zach Laskey is what we thought he was...not a flashy BB, but he doesn't lose yardage, and is good for 3-5 yards a pop every play. He's not exciting, but he's effective.

JT didn't have any signature plays, but made a huge throw to convert 3rd and 15, and had some nice runs to keep the drive going. His stats won't wow you this game, but he made some great reads on pitches. You can tell the defense was scared of letting him turn the corner and keyed on him...which led to our ABs getting some good runs. I think it's safe to say CPJ has shelved the whole "Let's bring in Byerly if we need tough yards" idea.

CPJ has never beaten Miami and VT in the same season, in fact it's been a while since he's beaten either. He's gotten that monkey off his back in back to back weeks. Our hardest Coastal games are over, and we're 2-0. Don't want to jinx us, but the road to that Clemson game is November...

I'll say it again...it's been a fun ride with this team. Not worry about what we're not anymore, and just enjoy this ride.
Yes, it is definitely time to enjoy the ride with this team this year. Duke will be the best offense we have faced all season, in my opinion. They will match up better than us than they do against teams like Miami who have much better athletes than them. I expect this to be another hard fought game.

dafunk

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm impressed by JT's option pitches. Some of the prettiest pitches and fakes I've seen since maybe Eric Crouch at Nebraska.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great game to be at. The Miami fans around us were not happy with our boring 4 yards and a cloud of dust game.

CPJ called a great game and totally outcoached Miami. Who elects to receive when they win a toss? Who goes for it on 4th and 1 at your own 34 in the second qtr and a tie game????? I know Miami made it, but when the did it I realized they were desperate.

The Miami clock management at the end of the 1st half was awful. They could have gotten the ball back with 70 seconds and a time out. The way they were passing on us, it would have been easy to get into FG range.

Nothing cures your problems like winning. The most enthusiasm since 2009. Maybe we will finish better than 13th in the ACC?

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I felt confident going in to halftime tied at 14 knowing how we have played in the 2nd half of close games this year. I knew Roof would make his normal halftime adjustments and since we would be getting the ball to start the 3rd, the D would be playing with a lead for the first time in the game.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
From Jeff Schultz's write-up...

Thomas took the snap, ran right, drew a lone defender and pitched to Deon Hill, who could’ve stopped, sat down, made a sandwich, eaten it and watched a couple of movies and still had time to walk into the end zone around right end. That made it 28-17.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co..._2014_jeffschultz_sfp#71853c16.3828699.735510

I described that play to my brother right after it happened as that Hill "did a cartwheel, then a standing back flip, and then moonwalked along the 2 yard line for a few feet before going ahead and running in the endzone."

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The one thing that I think that has been kinda unnoticed or under appreciated I should say...But how clean of a game did Justin Thomas play? My God. Ate the ball when nothing was there and really only had one negative play on him that I can remember...That is so impressive for a young QB. Somehow the kid impresses me more each week.

Great team win.

Last edited: