Georgia Tech - Miami postgame thread

Alexlongstride

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember when some players were calling for JT over Vad we all thought the team was divided, guess they knew all along that JT had the it factor we needed to be successful

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. What a great atmosphere and a great win. There have been a lot of great thoughts expressed in this thread already, but I will try and add a few.

1. The first thought in my mind is that we had a good plan for winning this game on the offensive side of the ball.
2. No team left on the schedule will have better athletes across the board than Miami. That was pretty obvious from the upper north. That is a fast, agile, and quick team we played tonight. So, if you were wondering how we can hold up against talented teams, you just saw it. Some teams may have better, more experienced QBs, but they won't have more, or better athletes.
3. I too had to stay up and watch the recording once through last night. Just had to. I was too pumped up to sleep. From seeing it live and seeing the TV version, I think JT played his best game tonight, no question. Did he light up the stat sheet? Nope, BUT, he showed the maturity to take what the defense was allowing and not try and GET HIS, if you know what I mean. That is a pretty mature kid out there. He was pure point guard and he did exactly what was needed to win the game today. ONCE AGAIN, he made huge plays WHEN WE NEEDED IT MOST. You know how hard it is to make tough clutch throws when you have only put it up 5 times in a game? Well, that throw on the wheel to Zenon, was a great read and nice touch to drop it into the gap in the defense.
4. I hope you guys have respect for Perryman. He might not be fast enough to be a first round pick, but you will never see a better tackler in NCAA football. EVERY TEAM in the NFL would be darned glad to have him.
5. The most important stat this year for our beloved Jackets is TOs. Bottom line: if you want to find the root cause for the turnaround so far, you don't have to look any farther than that. We would have been a decidedly winning team the last few seasons with equally good performances in this area, especially the big games. We are taking care of the ball. Cross your fingers.
6. Duke Johnson is one of the 5 best backs in the country. He is electric and he is versatile.
7. The next games keep getting bigger. That is the way you want it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The one thing that I think that has been kinda unnoticed or under appreciated I should say...But how clean of a game did Justin Thomas play? My God. Ate the ball when nothing was there and really only had one negative play on him that I can remember...That is so impressive for a young QB. Somehow the kid impresses me more each week.

Great team win.

We talked about this last night when we got back from the game, on the one negative yardage play JT went to pitch, saw where the outside defender was and held the ball realizing if he'd pitched the ball is was highly likely the defender would have doe what Jamal did on the Ga Southern game. He could have pitched it trying for the positive/big play but his recognition of that was way beyond his true experience level yet shows just how well he runs the offense!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
JT is very poised and he doesn't force anything. On passing plays he patient but very willing to cut loose and run if the play breaks down.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If the object of the game was to win, we did a great job.

If the object of the game was entertainment for the casual observer, we failed.

If the object of the game was to frustrate the other team and it's fans, it was perfect.

One other game comment from the end zone view I had. We had damn good tackling on D last night. There were many times when a Miami player got the corner and the tackle had to be made or it would be a TD. Much improved fundamentals. Our edge containment suffered a lot when we blitzed but you have to pick your poison when the four man rush couldn't get it done.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WOW, what a game! Great tailgate, electrifying stadium atmosphere and awesome team performance.

I was most impressed how the D reacted after the losing the TO on the 2 reviews. To go from being hyper pumped thinking you had forced a turn over to getting back on the field and giving it all again shows such great desire to win.
Great point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our safeties have gotten a lot of crap the past few seasons (and some of it was deserved), but I will say last night was some of the best safety play we've had in a while. They weren't perfect (still missed some tackles), but they were in good position the majority of the time, and didn't let anyone get over the top of them. IJ and Golden made both interceptions, and both times they were in key moments. Great positioning on those INTs.

Golden said in the AJC earlier in week that safety play needed to improve. The Miami was a great start in the right direction for our safeties.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We talked about this last night when we got back from the game, on the one negative yardage play JT went to pitch, saw where the outside defender was and held the ball realizing if he'd pitched the ball is was highly likely the defender would have doe what Jamal did on the Ga Southern game. He could have pitched it trying for the positive/big play but his recognition of that was way beyond his true experience level yet shows just how well he runs the offense!
It looked like BJ was too far behind JT on this play to make the pitch a reasonable option. If he would have pitched it, it could have been a 3 yard further loss. Had BJ been further ahead, he might have pitched it successfully and it been a decent play. Excellent split second decision to hold the ball.

Declinometer

Banned
Our safeties have gotten a lot of crap the past few seasons (and some of it was deserved), but I will say last night was some of the best safety play we've had in a while. They weren't perfect (still missed some tackles), but they were in good position the majority of the time, and didn't let anyone get over the top of them. IJ and Golden made both interceptions, and both times they were in key moments. Great positioning on those INTs.

Golden said in the AJC earlier in week that safety play needed to improve. The Miami was a great start in the right direction for our safeties.

Isiah came up and made some nice stops and Mr Nealy, I'm sorry for doubting you early.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Unless I missed it somewhere, no one has mentioned the job Perkins did last night. He laid out some people on his blocks, picked up close to 10 yds/carry and put ~65 yards in the bank. Excellent night from one of our key players.
It is easy to miss distributing the love because this was a textbook great team effort and win.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Unless I missed it somewhere, no one has mentioned the job Perkins did last night. He laid out some people on his blocks, picked up close to 10 yds/carry and put ~65 yards in the bank. Excellent night from one of our key players.

Good point. Thanks for that.

Need a blocking effort thread.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The D seemed to tightened up against the run by not over pursuing as much in the 2nd half compared to the first half. That is one thing I took notice to that hasn't been mentioned. That helped keep DJ's bounce out runs to the first half (IIRC).