Georgia Tech Men's Basketball - 2019-'20 Season Membership Renewal

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh. I renewed my season tickets day one because I support the players & program regardless of who's the coach and that I live 800 miles away, being lucky to make it to 6 games a year.

I can certainly appreciate that your time is devoted elsewhere and your desire to express displeasure in the results to the GTAA, but if you truly have the disposable income to buy tickets, emphasizing the word "disposable", and you choose to not continue purchasing them, then when the day comes to replace Pastner, you've also contributed to the negative metrics and lack of funds to justify not making the significant long term investment this program needs.

This x 1000. I bet felt really cool composing and sending that email.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you suffered through the last 2, this might not be the year not to renew.

This. People complained about our recruiting class but we added what we needed. We needed a 3 point shooter who could help take some of the minutes away from Jose and Mike and we landed a 20 ppg PG who shot 40% from 3 on near 300 attempts. We needed another option at the 3 and we added a former 4* who also is able to slide to the 4 if we go small which was another concern for us. The only real "need" we have left is a back up center, and even then sliding Moses to the 5 is a legitimate option with either Cole or Usher at the 4 and going small ball. We have probably our best put together roster, assuming everyone is available, since the Favors team, and this is the year you don't renew because a guy who went 2-16 in the SEC last year landed a good class? On top of that we return most of the core the following year as well. I really don't know whats one people were expecting when we made our last coaching change but a good shot at the NCAAT in year 4 is hardly on the low end of what could be expected.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Do y’all not have fun at the games even when we aren’t winning? The Louisville game last year is probably the only GT sporting event in my life that I didn’t genuinely enjoy being at. Even then, I still got home and watched the second half on TV.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We got torched for the FSU game that I attended last season and I had a good time. Good conversations that day

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Our fan base didn't understand this with Paul Hewitt, so we end up with Brian Gregory, although that also had to do with LazyAD being lazy.

Didn't understand this with Brian Gregory, and despite efforts by Sasquatch to actually spend money on it, we land CJP.

Already, we're seeing the same vicious cycle, but people are eager to complain about a problem without contributing to the solution.

You want GT hoops to improve in the future, state your case to Todd and cut a check today.

The biggest challenge for GT sports is financial. It cannot be starved to success.

Other programs have different challenges (poor to middling academic reputation, remote location, lack of historical success). GT doesn't have those problems.

My GT years were when the shaft was in full force. I understand GT alumni above, say , 40 years old have an in-grained attitude that the stick is to be used many times when a carrot would work better. The best way to support a program is through season tickets. It not only helps fund the program, it provides stable income.

One last thing to note, when there is a coaching change anywhere in college basketball, take a look at the articles written about that change by good sports writers. Note that when they list the advantages of a job they will say something about a rabid fan base or large home crowds or plenty of resources (again, season ticket holders drive much of that). They NEVER will say that coaches are interested in this job because the empty seats offer an opportunity to improve.

As Matt Guitar Murphy's wife in the Blues Brothers once said, "You better think about the consequences of your actions!"

DkvxpMdUwAAJP_9.jpg

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The biggest challenge for GT sports is financial. It cannot be starved to success.

Other programs have different challenges (poor to middling academic reputation, remote location, lack of historical success). GT doesn't have those problems.

My GT years were when the shaft was in full force. I understand GT alumni above, say , 40 years old have an in-grained attitude that the stick is to be used many times when a carrot would work better. The best way to support a program is through season tickets. It not only helps fund the program, it provides stable income.

One last thing to note, when there is a coaching change anywhere in college basketball, take a look at the articles written about that change by good sports writers. Note that when they list the advantages of a job they will say something about a rabid fan base or large home crowds or plenty of resources (again, season ticket holders drive much of that). They NEVER will say that coaches are interested in this job because the empty seats offer an opportunity to improve.

As Matt Guitar Murphy's wife in the Blues Brothers once said, "You better think about the consequences of your actions!"

DkvxpMdUwAAJP_9.jpg

Does poor academic reputation really hurt programs?

That’s a serious question.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Does poor academic reputation really hurt programs?

That’s a serious question.

Yes. Not for everyone but for some.

It is part of the arrows in the quiver. Obviously, we know money talks louder in the current environment. It is even one of the tells for the illicit stuff. So your list was Stanford, USC, and Texas and at the last minute you added Oregon to the list and committed there? Ahh. I see.

slugboy

Staff member
Our fan base didn't understand this with Paul Hewitt, so we end up with Brian Gregory, although that also had to do with LazyAD being lazy.

Didn't understand this with Brian Gregory, and despite efforts by Sasquatch to actually spend money on it, we land CJP.

Already, we're seeing the same vicious cycle, but people are eager to complain about a problem without contributing to the solution.

You want GT hoops to improve in the future, state your case to Todd and cut a check today.

We’ve had multiple discussions that Pastner’s contract indicates that he’ll be here through the 20-21 season, and that Stansbury has shown a commitment to Pastner in the contract. Stansbury has also had a lot on his plate with AI 2020, and getting Collins started up, and hiring Nell Fortner. So I can see why I haven’t heard as much from him about men’s basketball. Maybe I’m listening in the wrong places too.

I don’t know what case people need to state to Stansbury, but I think Stansbury should give some sort of nod to improving the basketball program. I’m not talking about an indication to keeping Pastner longer or putting pressure on him to win—a lot of people confuse a commitment to the basketball program with a commitment related to the head coach.

Yes, new locker rooms for the basketball teams is a good thing.

With all the focus on football, I’d like to see some vision and focus on the basketball program. I’m not saying anything specific, or magically finding huge gobs of money to spend on the program next year, but just some gestures to make me think it’s a priority. We’ve taken some actions like bobble head nights and giveaways. I just think we can outdo the Western Kentuckys of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What percentage of my ticket purchases are going into the bag for the bagman? What you say? GT doesn't have a bag or a bag man?!

I kid, of course, kinda...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We’ve had multiple discussions that Pastner’s contract indicates that he’ll be here through the 20-21 season, and that Stansbury has shown a commitment to Pastner in the contract. Stansbury has also had a lot on his plate with AI 2020, and getting Collins started up, and hiring Nell Fortner. So I can see why I haven’t heard as much from him about men’s basketball. Maybe I’m listening in the wrong places too.

I don’t know what case people need to state to Stansbury, but I think Stansbury should give some sort of nod to improving the basketball program. I’m not talking about an indication to keeping Pastner longer or putting pressure on him to win—a lot of people confuse a commitment to the basketball program with a commitment related to the head coach.

Yes, new locker rooms for the basketball teams is a good thing.

With all the focus on football, I’d like to see some vision and focus on the basketball program. I’m not saying anything specific, or magically finding huge gobs of money to spend on the program next year, but just some gestures to make me think it’s a priority. We’ve taken some actions like bobble head nights and giveaways. I just think we can outdo the Western Kentuckys of the world.

The facilities are generally on par with the ACC. Practice facility and McCamish. New locker room helps for sure. And last year we sprang for a free concert for recruiting which I thought was a really nice touch. Lot of good things that say support. The question is what level of support we have for assistant coaches and whether Todd wants to step in and be as hands on as Bobinski was in tooling a staff for next year's class. Probably too late to change anything but that is where I would point Todd if he really wants to "help".

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just think we can outdo the Western Kentuckys of the world.
I don't think we can outbid them.

The best long term hope for GT basketball is if the gloves come off and more "pro" basketball players go G League or Europe or elsewhere, leaving college ball as less of a bidding war, where GT does not participate.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I renewed 4 in section 108 and I hope to be at every home game this season, God willing. I missed only 1 game last year. I did not renew in Pastner’s 1st year and I regretted it.

Serious question, with no judgement intended, for those on here who have season tickets and live hundreds or thousands of miles away from McCamish, what do you do with your tickets?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
GREAT! But if you check in during the meantime, how about posting your rubber stamp comments in the COACHING CAROUSEL --JUST PASTNER 2019 thread and save us the time skipping over them all year in all the other threads

You’re posts are just as tiring.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I renewed 4 in section 108 and I hope to be at every home game this season, God willing. I missed only 1 game last year. I did not renew in Pastner’s 1st year and I regretted it.

Serious question, with no judgement intended, for those on here who have season tickets and live hundreds or thousands of miles away from McCamish, what do you do with your tickets?

Give them away to friends or the occasional board member, trade them with @connell62 for some of the games I do get to attend, some cupcake games just go to waste