Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech, Tues, Feb 23, 7pm, RSN/ACCNX

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
-1.5 seems like peculiar line for #16 at home.

This -1.5 line screams trap. We either get blown out or we win by 10. I wouldn't touch -1.5 unless I was taking VT at home. Either Vegas LOVES GT tonight or like I said Trap game just get action on the game. The trap would be to get the public to buy VT.... So who knows.

I say GT by 8.
Despite their ranking, they're not the 16th best team in the country. That's unfortunately not how human polls with all their biases work. Remember how we beat a "top 25 Kentucky" team?

Nor does it seem like they will be at full strength, in game shape, coming off a 2.5 week Covid pause. And even at full strength, we're arguably playing better than them anyway. KenPom and other metrics suggest we're effectively peers.

So the spread isn't a trap; it is a reflection of where the teams are today.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Despite their ranking, they're not the 16th best team in the country. That's unfortunately not how human polls with all their biases work. Remember how we beat a "top 25 Kentucky" team?

Nor does it seem like they will be at full strength, in game shape, coming off a 2.5 week Covid pause. And even at full strength, we're arguably playing better than them anyway. KenPom and other metrics suggest we're effectively peers.

So the spread isn't a trap; it is a reflection of where the teams are today.
Trying to figure out how they beat UVA by 15

Deleted member 2897

Trying to figure out how they beat UVA by 15

Virginia had their worst game of the year, shooting almost 15% below average for them. That difference in made shots was the full point difference by itself.

Then on top of that, Virginia Tech had one of their single best games of the year, going 9/18 from 3pt and 12/14 from FT.

Virginia couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in the second half, and Virginia Tech couldn't miss with their eyes closed, resulting in a second half score of 22 points for Virginia and 44 points for Virginia Tech. Remember when our ladies scored 2 points in the 4th quarter the other night - that's what Virginia looked like down the stretch.

GT_EE78

Banned
it's most likely a must win game as far as dancing goes.
I think we're going to win a close one.
then we can complain if Devoe uses the backboard to get the win at the buzzer.

Deleted member 2897

it's most likely a must win game as far as dancing goes.
I think we're going to win a close one.
then we can complain if Devoe uses the backboard to get the win at the buzzer.

I used to be out here saying we go 3-1 we're in the tournament. But seeing some prognostications today, we're in the 2nd 4 out, despite having a better NET rating than like 15 teams ahead of us. So there's clearly something else the committee folks need to see. We've beat Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State and been competitive despite **** scheduling. But there's something else we're clearly missing. It could be as simple as the crazy way they have the ACC standings (not by wins), we're listed way down. So beating anybody in the ACC - whatever it takes - to get back into the top 6 or 7 is important.

GT_EE78

Banned
I used to be out here saying we go 3-1 we're in the tournament. But seeing some prognostications today, we're in the 2nd 4 out, despite having a better NET rating than like 15 teams ahead of us. So there's clearly something else the committee folks need to see. We've beat Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State and been competitive despite **** scheduling. But there's something else we're clearly missing. It could be as simple as the crazy way they have the ACC standings (not by wins), we're listed way down. So beating anybody in the ACC - whatever it takes - to get back into the top 6 or 7 is important.
i'm not suggesting that i have any idea what they're looking at either, but after we win tonight i'm not going to be surprised if we start showing up in some of the last 4in, first4out groups. winning out in the reg season might be necessary to have a decent chance....more makeup games,more wins probably helps

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Tonight is the biggest game of Pastner’s tenure. I got the pre-game jitters just thinking about what’s on the line tonight.
It’s really crazy! If he goes 0-4 or 1-3 in the next 4 then it could be the end for Pastner. Go 3-1 or 4-0 win an ACC tournament game or 2 to get into the tournament and even potentially win a game and he may get an extension.

Deleted member 2897

i'm not suggesting that i have any idea what they're looking at either, but after we win tonight i'm not going to be surprised if we start showing up in some of the last 4in, first4out groups. winning out in the reg season might be necessary to have a decent chance....more makeup games,more wins probably helps

If you look at that prognostication list (I don't pretend to know their criteria either), there are no teams on the bubble or first 4 out or any of that whose NET ratings are under 40. If we go 3-1 and whatever the combination is puts our NET rating at under 40, we're in. At that point they'd be picking 25 teams behind us in the main model they say they look at in order to leave us out.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It’s really crazy! If he goes 0-4 or 1-3 in the next 4 then it could be the end for Pastner. Go 3-1 or 4-0 win an ACC tournament game or 2 to get into the tournament and even potentially win a game and he may get an extension.

There's roughly 0% chance we make a move this year regardless outside of things that would warrant a for cause termination. .

Deleted member 2897

What makes you think we'd go 0-4 or 1-3? We're undefeated against teams in the bottom half of the league and the only team we've lost twice to is Virginia. And this is despite **** scheduling. If we lose the rest of our games, he will still be here. So my recommendation is to get both thoughts out of your head.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m checking out the links in here. I tried yesterday to see if I could get a game to come on but every link sends me to different windows and ends up trying to get me to create a profile or sends me to a gambling site. I’m trying on my phone. Is there something I need to specifically do to get it to work?
I've never tried to use it until 5-10 mins before tipoff. perhaps the legit links show up closer to gametime? idk. also, i've never tried it on a phone.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m checking out the links in here. I tried yesterday to see if I could get a game to come on but every link sends me to different windows and ends up trying to get me to create a profile or sends me to a gambling site. I’m trying on my phone. Is there something I need to specifically do to get it to work?
It's very hit or miss. Some sites in a thread will work great, others are spam heavy and will redirect you to gambling sites, or have a ton of pop ups. I'm in the same boat as you, so I'll let you know if there's a semi decent one in the swarm chat

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think we'd go 0-4 or 1-3? We're undefeated against teams in the bottom half of the league and the only team we've lost twice to is Virginia. And this is despite **** scheduling. If we lose the rest of our games, he will still be here. So my recommendation is to get both thoughts out of your head.
I don’t think they will I expect 3-1 hoping 4-0!

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Ehh, he could go 0-4 and he'll still be back.
Maybe but I doubt they make it next year with such a young nucleus coming in. This year is Pastner’s best shot. Seat will be blistering next year and I still am a Pastner supporter.

Deleted member 2897

Maybe but I doubt they make it next year with such a young nucleus coming in. This year is Pastner’s best shot. Seat will be blistering next year and I still am a Pastner supporter.

We will have more talent next year than we do this year. Will there be learning pains? Probably. But if Devoe comes back and we don't get any new transfers in, we'll still have 6 top-150 players on our roster. That's more than we have this year. The future is even more bright (to me) than it is now. If any seniors like Alvarado, Moses, or Usher return, just stack more talent blocks on top of the stack.