Georgia Tech at Virginia, Jan 23, 8pm, ACC Network

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1611456983048.png

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Good news is we are for real. Bad news is we blew that game. Offensive sets in the last five minutes were.............interesting.

The basket interference in Moses was flat out bull****. There’s two points right there. My only other gripe...where the hell was Devoe?

Edit: Moses made some really poor decisions late

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We played a good to great first 30 minutes, then pretty poorly for the last 10. Can’t say I didn’t see it coming. Several of our guys looked a little gassed from early on to me.

I didn’t like how we ran the offense through Moses at the top of the key. He wasn’t a threat from out there (despite the big 3 late). Not a good game for him offensively. He did have some huge blocks on D though that really helped us.

Rough game for Devoe. We could have definitely used his perimeter shooting. He got in trouble driving into the lane.

Huff and Houser were huge for uva.

I really hate losing to this team. I can’t stand them, especially Key Clark.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Jose and Jordan were fantastic for the entirety of the game. Hats off to those guys as they were lights out on both ends of the court. Jose 20 pt, 8 ast, 6 stl. Jordan 19 pt, 6 reb, 3 blk. For the most part, they both looked confident and set the example for the team that we deserved to be on that stage.

Moses didn't give us the points that we wanted or ultimately needed, but he quietly played well otherwise, erasing a lot of mistakes on defense with 5 blocks. That 3 point make with under 2 min and 1 second on the shot clock was bigtime.

We just needed to find a little bit more, but that's stating the obvious. I didn't like the timeouts in the first half, though it's hard to argue given what immediately followed. But it sure looked like we lost our way just enough during the final, fatal stretch with some bad shot selection on several possessions in the last 6 minutes. I feel certain we would have called a timeout in there had we had more than 1 remaining.

Overall I thought Pastner and the team were prepared. That is a really hard team to beat, and it's a tough loss to swallow given the opportunity that was there with a minute to go. But I feel much more optimistic about the team in light of this performance. Arguably our best performance of the year when taking opponent into consideration.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. Good news is we are for real. Bad news is we blew that game. Offensive sets in the last five minutes were.............interesting.

The basket interference in Moses was flat out bull****. There’s two points right there. My only other gripe...where the hell was Devoe?

im looking forward to watching the film of the last 5-10 minutes; my impression from watching live was that UVA played incredible defense those final 10 minutes and that was a large part of our struggles. and UVA has been notorious for doing that to very good offensive teams for several years. their great defense makes very good offenses look bad. looking forward to watching the film and see it possession by possession.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like the biggest difference makers in that game were the three by Huff at the end of the half (we still had a foul to give) and two bogus foul calls on Jose (his third and fourth). Hauser hit a few big shots when Jose went to the bench, then covered someone else to keep from getting his fifth.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
im looking forward to watching the film of the last 5-10 minutes; my impression from watching live was that UVA played incredible defense those final 10 minutes and that was a large part of our struggles. and UVA has been notorious for doing that to very good offensive teams for several years. their great defense makes very good offenses look bad. looking forward to watching the film and see it possession by possession.
Likely the case. They also were shooting lights out during that stretch. The PG making that stupid fade away didn’t help for sure. That’s was a terrible shot from a guy having a terrible game and yet it went in...just works that way sometimes.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Alvarado is playing at an All-American level. Not sure there’s more than 3 point guards I would rather have. The biggest complaint I have is has to be more careful with picking up fouls.
I agree with the fouls, but he got a couple cheap ones tonight. His third foul Clark was already falling to the ground and somehow Jose got called. His fourth was a ticky-tack foul on a rebound. To your point, he shouldn’t have even gotten his hand in there with three fouls at that point.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I forgot about that play. It would have been really nice to have those 2 points at the end there. It pisses me off that there are so many reviewable plays and that isn't one.