Georgia Tech at Virginia, Jan 23, 8pm, ACC Network

Deleted member 2897

Our only conferences losses are against teams that are a combined 10-1. We’ve been playing great basketball since the first 2 games. We’ll be fine if we keep this play up. The stat lines were all but identical last night. That’s the kind of game you need to steal, but it’s okay - we just need to keep moving forward.

slugboy

Staff member
I forgot about that play. It would have been really nice to have those 2 points at the end there. It pisses me off that there are so many reviewable plays and that isn't one.
After watching a mix of NBA and College Basketball, I keep waiting for the (non-existent-in-college) Replay Center to call it in or the refs to review a play like that on the sideline.

Deleted member 2897

BRING ON THE RAT FACE!

1611498349638.jpeg

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One statistic from last night that is absolutely phenomonal (apologies if this has been mentioned above) is 6 TO's by the Jackets. One thing that has driven me away from the game is sloppiness with the ball. If you take care of the ball it indicates both good guard play and good coaching, both of which are essential. Anything above 10 TO's in a game to me looks like kids playing shirts vs. skins in the schoolyard.

Deleted member 2897

One statistic from last night that is absolutely phenomonal (apologies if this has been mentioned above) is 6 TO's by the Jackets. One thing that has driven me away from the game is sloppiness with the ball. If you take care of the ball it indicates both good guard play and good coaching, both of which are essential. Anything above 10 TO's in a game to me looks like kids playing shirts vs. skins in the schoolyard.

I might go higher than 10, but your larger point is bang on. When we run 20-23 turnovers, it’s hard to watch. 6, especially against a team like Virginia, is amazing. We had more steals than turnovers...and largely without foul issues.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are playing very efficient basketball right now. Lack of fouls is another positive indicator because we are playing very aggressive on defense.

I think Moses would have beaten Huff if he could have had more rest earlier. He is playing a lot of minutes. But he has shed the foul prone and turnover prone habits of his younger self.

Whenever people pan the pursuit of transfers, ask yourself where UVA would be right now without Hauser.

Duke will be a challenge in Durham even without the Crazies.

slugboy

Staff member
We are playing very efficient basketball right now. Lack of fouls is another positive indicator because we are playing very aggressive on defense.

I think Moses would have beaten Huff if he could have had more rest earlier. He is playing a lot of minutes. But he has shed the foul prone and turnover prone habits of his younger self.

Whenever people pan the pursuit of transfers, ask yourself where UVA would be right now without Hauser.

Duke will be a challenge in Durham even without the Crazies.
They would have lost to us by 10+ without Hauser.

If we had Hauser and Moses, we’d be ranked right now, at least.

UVA’s 3-out-2-in is an interesting offense, and they would position their two front court players where there was still space inside the arc. I wonder if Tony Bennett might be the best coach in the ACC.

The local press up there said they moved away from the blocker-mover offense last year . This year, there are articles saying they’re running a 5-out, but that’s not what I saw last night—at least, not at their primary offense.

Their defense really cracked down on us slashing to the basket.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought this would be hard for them to do if we were hitting treys. It just shows how much they feared our slashing and how little they respected our ability to shoot from outside. Duke will likely do the same thing. In the end it worked for them.

It is important to remember that Bennet is a defensive genius like no one else in the ACC.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We played a terrific game overall with the TOs and steals amazing. BUT we still lost. Having little rest for Mo and Defoe going cold killed us. We are now competitive vs most anybody but the short bench is going to hurt the longer we go in the season esp in away games..

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
They would have lost to us by 10+ without Hauser.

If we had Hauser and Moses, we’d be ranked right now, at least.

UVA’s 3-out-2-in is an interesting offense, and they would position their two front court players where there was still space inside the arc. I wonder if Tony Bennett might be the best coach in the ACC.

The local press up there said they moved away from the blocker-mover offense last year . This year, there are articles saying they’re running a 5-out, but that’s not what I saw last night—at least, not at their primary offense.

They moved away from mover blocker to take advantage of Huff's perimeter shooting skills. Much more a modern offense with Huff causing the floor to be spread. They also have more deep shooting elsewhere - especially with Hauser. So it would have been a mistake to stay with the mover blocker midrange focus.

I think it was Devoe who got beat a couple of times on drives from the corner and it was really hard to help as we were spread on the perimeter. Moses did get one block but he came a long way to get it

GT_EE78

Banned
a valiant effort with a good chance to win at the buzzer.
We played well but it's just a missed opportunity.Devoe's off game hurt.
Only 20 minutes of bench time with none from Rodney/Saba says a lot.
I'd like to see where we'd be if CJP had landed a frosh center when there was a yr for dev behind Banks.
Not enough tall guys to guard both Hauser and Huff.
We're not out yet.Bring on the next one!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We played a terrific game overall with the TOs and steals amazing. BUT we still lost. Having little rest for Mo and Defoe going cold killed us. We are now competitive vs most anybody but the short bench is going to hurt the longer we go in the season esp in away games..

I think the minutes in a game like this are an issue. It isn't just the number of minutes but the intensity of the minutes and that was a very intense game. I don't think there is much debate that we didn't play as well in the last 10 min as we did the first 30. Part of that is UVA and credit to them - but IMHO part is that we didn't have the energy and legs we had early.

I don't see us expanding the bench but I would like to see us steal breaks for guys. And I fully recognize that is hard for Moses but I also believe part of the reason he had issues making a play at the end was the energy he had already left on the floor.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, if Devoe give is just an ok game shooting the ball we win this one. It will be difficult for us to win with him scoring 3 points. Overall, we played well. If we continue playing this efficiently we will win a lot of games. Disappointed we could not hold on but not discouraged. We can beat any team in the ACC. We need to steal a few from the top teams.

slugboy

Staff member
I think the minutes in a game like this are an issue. It isn't just the number of minutes but the intensity of the minutes and that was a very intense game. I don't think there is much debate that we didn't play as well in the last 10 min as we did the first 30. Part of that is UVA and credit to them - but IMHO part is that we didn't have the energy and legs we had early.

I don't see us expanding the bench but I would like to see us steal breaks for guys. And I fully recognize that is hard for Moses but I also believe part of the reason he had issues making a play at the end was the energy he had already left on the floor.
I had hoped that, when Jose was out, that we would look like we did against Clemson when Jose was out—run the plays, let the system stretch the defense, see what comes open. No such luck—we couldn’t score.

Early in the season, it seemed like Moses was our strong front court post-player, but Usher is getting to the basket well too, and had a nice alley-oop last night. We could use a good backup point for Jose and a player (Howard/Saba/Moore) who could give a breather to Usher and Wright. Moore is probably the closest to a fill-in for Wright and Usher.

Looking at the box score,
GTUVA
Effective Field Goal %.538.558
Turnover %9.7%14%
Offensive Rebound %4.216.7
Offensive Rating101.6104.9

We had 3 big scorers and everyone else.

Basi
StartersMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
Bubba Parham4012.50001.000111.00000055010023
Jose Alvarado39712.58337.42945.800221.0000118602420
Jordan Usher38711.63657.71424.50034.7500661130119
Moses Wright37617.353515.33312.500001342051213
Michael Devoe2618.12505.00013.33300022100113
Khalid Moore12221.000221.0000000022000104
Kyle Sturdivant801.00001.0000000011000110

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 1/24/2021.

slugboy

Staff member
I guess, in retrospect, we could have used more of Khalid in the game?

Adva
StartersMPTS%eFG%3PArFTrORB%DRB%TRB%AST%STL%BLK%TOV%USG%ORtgDRtgBPM
Bubba Parham40.750.750.500.0000.020.810.40.01.70.00.03.2134114-0.2
Jose Alvarado39.776.750.417.1670.04.32.148.810.20.013.424.81439625.4
Jordan Usher38.745.727.364.3640.026.313.26.31.79.30.021.814510416.6
Moses Wright37.382.382.118.0004.513.59.012.30.015.95.631.6791051.2
Michael Devoe26.188.188.375.0000.012.86.46.80.00.011.122.539119-14.4
Khalid Moore121.0001.000.000.0000.027.813.90.00.00.033.316.21141172.8
Kyle Sturdivant8.000.000.000.0000.020.810.40.00.00.050.016.20118-20.9
School Totals200.555.538.283.1134.283.343.850.013.123.59.7100.0101.6104.9

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 1/24/2021.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow

In the last few minutes, Moses had a couple of shots hit front rim which is usually an indicator of tired legs. There were also 2 inbounds by UVA late in the game where we had extended them to either close to or at the end of the shot clock. UVA had catch and shoot scores on both....

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Good news is we are for real. Bad news is we blew that game. Offensive sets in the last five minutes were.............interesting.

The basket interference in Moses was flat out bull****. There’s two points right there. My only other gripe...where the hell was Devoe?

Edit: Moses made some really poor decisions late
That call was horrible

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thought the goaltending call was correct. The rule states if any part of the ball is above the cylinder, then it is goaltending. In this case, part of the ball appeared above the cylinder, in my estimation.

Doesn't matter whether the ball is likely to go in i.e., if just a portion of the ball is above the rim and likely to deflect out. That seemed to be the case for us, but it is still goaltending.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm just a fan but I'd have liked to see a little more Sturdivant/Moore for Parham/Review. I like Bubba and the invaluable little things he contributes but I don't get playing him all 40.