Georgia Tech All-Time basketball team

slugboy

Staff member
KA days with Scott & Oliver- sublime.

Being “on another level” is an overused term, but he looked like he was playing a different version of basketball with a different set of skills than anyone else on the court. The team was talented, but he was playing faster and more fluidly than anyone around him on either team.
We knew we were just a stop on the way to the NBA, but just hoped we’d be a longer stop.
I was wondering if he was the best player in the NCAA when he was here. He got picked second in the NBA draft behind Larry “Grandmama” Johnson from UNLV. That super-loaded UNLV team was the only thing that stopped us, and if we’d been seeded better we’d have met them in the championship.
I remember him getting bald patches because he was so stressed during the season—he was playing the entire season getting ready for the NBA draft, basically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScGold

Banned
Being “on another level” is an overused term, but he looked like he was playing a different version of basketball with a different set of skills than anyone else on the court. The team was talented, but he was playing faster and more fluidly than anyone around him on either team.
We knew we were just a stop on the way to the NBA, but just hoped we’d be a longer stop.
I was wondering if he was the best player in the NCAA when he was here. He got picked second in the NBA draft behind Larry “Grandmama” Johnson from UNLV. That super-loaded UNLV team was the only thing that stopped us, and if we’d been seeded better we’d have met them in the championship.
I remember him getting bald patches because he was so stressed during the season—he was playing the entire season getting ready for the NBA draft, basically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easily the best pure PG to set foot on the campus at Techwood Dr.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on the criteria: Best season? Best Career? Best stats? Best winners? Does subsequent NBA career count? Are we assembling a team of complimentary players or just the best five regardless of position or role? Do Great defenders factor in?

Different definitions of "best" results in different guys.

Anderson and Price would have been a handful on the court at the same time. Anderson's penetration and vision, Price's shooting range and quick release. Price's on the ball tenacious defense, Anderson's court awareness.

Same for Scott and Harpring. Harpring physically punishing the opposition paired with Scott's silky smooth assassin's attitude. Put Lammers Junior season with those four, and that is one heckuva team.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I would have Kenny at PG and Price at SG. Both Price and Marbury played some shooting guard. Drew Barry mostly played the point after the loss to Mt. St. Mary's. The team really took off then.

Mark Price and Dennis Scott on the same team would be the ultimate defense stretcher.

slugboy

Staff member
I would have Kenny at PG and Price at SG. Both Price and Marbury played some shooting guard. Drew Barry mostly played the point after the loss to Mt. St. Mary's. The team really took off then.

Mark Price and Dennis Scott on the same team would be the ultimate defense stretcher.
That makes sense, and I wish I'd thought of KA at point and Price at SG. I'd like to see Price and Scott getting an offense like Kyle Korver had with the Hawks.
Bosh and Favors getting passes from Anderson (or Price) would look amazing.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That makes sense, and I wish I'd thought of KA at point and Price at SG. I'd like to see Price and Scott getting an offense like Kyle Korver had with the Hawks.
Bosh and Favors getting passes from Anderson (or Price) would look amazing.

What I want to see in Kenny Anderson operating in space with no help coming from the 2, 3 or 4 defensive positions. Either Kenny or Favors would average 35+ :eek:(y):)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Easily the best pure PG to set foot on the campus at Techwood Dr.

If he (KA) would have stayed three/four years (we knew that wasn't going to happen though) he probably would have been the best to ever set foot on ANY campus.

Although I can't make a strong case for him over Harpring, Mackey, Salley or Hammonds, Duane Ferrell needs a shout out in this thread, as does Bruce Dalrymple. Neither makes the team ahead of others but at least deserve "honorable mention" status.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
If he (KA) would have stayed three/four years (we knew that wasn't going to happen though) he probably would have been the best to ever set foot on ANY campus.

Although I can't make a strong case for him over Harpring, Mackey, Salley or Hammonds, Duane Ferrell needs a shout out in this thread, as does Bruce Dalrymple. Neither makes the team ahead of others but at least deserve "honorable mention" status.

Kenny remains the best freshman PG I have ever seen anywhere.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So many good thoughts.
After thinking about this and all the names mentioned here would be my five.

Anderson - best ballhandler i've ever seen in person.
Price - one of the best shooters ever but much more than that. Absolute assassin on the court, he really hated to lose.
Harpring - One of the best all-around players we've ever had. Like Price an absolute incredible competitor. The standing ovation given to him by the crowd at the ACC Tourney his Sr year was one of the things i'll never forget.
Scott- The shooting competitions between him and Price would be something. His Jr yr was one of the best years by a GT player ever. Played alot of 4 that year.
Bosh - tougher kid then his build would suggest. Once said he realized his sr year of HS that rebounding was not about size, but about desire. Great all around big man and he could shoot.

To think of the list of kids left off is impressive
Salley, Darlrymple, Ferrell, Hammonds, Oliver, Forrest, Best, Marbury, Akins, Jones, Jack, Elder, Bynum, Schenscher, Geiger, Favors, Young, Crittenton, Shumpert, Okogie, Marcus-Hunt, Lammers.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Salley, Darlrymple, Ferrell, Hammonds, Oliver, Forrest, Best, Marbury, Akins, Jones, Jack, Elder, Bynum, Schenscher, Geiger, Favors, Young, Crittenton, Shumpert, Okogie, Marcus-Hunt, Lammers.

Let's add Brook Steppe to the list. He was first team all ACC and played without much, if any, help on those teams in our early ACC days.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
So many good thoughts.
After thinking about this and all the names mentioned here would be my five.

Anderson - best ballhandler i've ever seen in person.
Price - one of the best shooters ever but much more than that. Absolute assassin on the court, he really hated to lose.
Harpring - One of the best all-around players we've ever had. Like Price an absolute incredible competitor. The standing ovation given to him by the crowd at the ACC Tourney his Sr year was one of the things i'll never forget.
Scott- The shooting competitions between him and Price would be something. His Jr yr was one of the best years by a GT player ever. Played alot of 4 that year.
Bosh - tougher kid then his build would suggest. Once said he realized his sr year of HS that rebounding was not about size, but about desire. Great all around big man and he could shoot.

Great list of those that played since 1980. I would swap Yunkus for Bosh given his accomplishments over 3 years while playing at GT and because Bosh only played for one season. I'm not sure if you could swap anyone else who played prior to 1980 on this list.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Anderson -best guard I ever saw in person
Price -when he had his stroke down, which was most of the time, he didn’t miss
Scott -loved that he was effective inside and outside
Yunkus -watched him double and triple teamed and he still always got his points
Sammy Drummer -first player I ever saw who seemed to play the whole game above the rim

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No Alvin Jones??

We've had some sneaky good centers.

No one has mentioned Matt Geiger who went on to a 10 year NBA career.
John Salley who won NBA championships with 3 franchises.
Malcolm Mackey was a first round NBA pick.
Luke Schensher who anchored our NCAA final run.
Alvin Jones who helped Hewitt get to the NCAA tournament his first season (with the help of Tony Akins)
Ben Lammers, Daniel Miller, James Banks who were All ACC centers in some form.
Jason Collier (RIP) who tranferred in from Indiana and developed into a first round pick under Cremins.

I'm sure I'm missing some other guys. That's not a bad group of college centers.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Hammonds over favors for me.

Yes to Hammond:
1st. 2nd
PG K Anderson. Mark Price
SG Dennis Scott. BJ Elder
SF Duane Ferrell. Matt Harpring
PF Tom Hammonds James Forrest
C John Salley. Alvin Jones

So many good player left off, hard to pick.
Brook Steepe
Mulbury
Craig Neal
Tico Brown
Bosh
Jack
Thad Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk