Georgia Tech adds 2 analysts to staff

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Nichols was an option qb on an undefeated Davidson team, and was pretty excellent at Marist (personal bias, but anyone who knows him would say this is a great hire).

Also, Davidson football has zero scholarships. They used to be dIII, but a little big money came in and endowed it just enough to lose every year.

Exactly. My younger brother played football while at Davidson a few years ago and your analysis is pretty spot on. Also, their crowd is a little less concerned about winning games than they are their kids playing in games, if you catch my drift. Regardless, like Tech, you gotta be smart to get in and get out of there. I’m sure he’ll do fine.

Also, glad to see Coach Cook bounce back after getting hosed down here in The ‘Boro.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
What exactly does an analyst do?

Analyze.

:)

The analyst could do any number of things. During the season, I expect it’ll involve a lot of film watching and statistics development. Looking for play calling patterns, looking for weakness in schemes, drafting next week’s game plan, etc.

They’ll likely be involved in on campus recruiting efforts and are probably helping develop the plans for Spring and Fall practice.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They watch a LOT of film. They can't coach guys or recruit off campus so they break down film all day. They usually scout the opponents instead of breaking down Tech's film. Cook, an offensive guy, will break down say Miami's film and figure out how their offense runs (how they like to line up for certain plays etc.) and help the defensive coaches on our staff prep. Big schools, like ND, have an analyst for each opponent they face so they basically have a former coach/coordinator scouting GT for an entire year before they play us.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Nichols is breaking down the defenses because he is a former DC who played in an option offense. I think we are referring to him as an offensive analyst because he is working with our offensive coaches to game plan since he will have scouted the defense. Cook will be doing the reverse so he is referred to as a defensive analyst.