Georgia Tech 2015 Spring Game Video

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I wish Byerly could've gotten a chance to show what he could do as the leader of this offense for a couple of seasons. Obviously I'm glad we've got JT and hope nothing happens to him. I just wish Byerly would've been here at a different time. He's a darn good QB who impresses me every time he gets an opportunity. I honestly think we've got the two best QB's of the CPJ era at the same time. Nesbitt would have something to say about that, but ...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish Byerly could've gotten a chance to show what he could do as the leader of this offense for a couple of seasons. Obviously I'm glad we've got JT and hope nothing happens to him. I just wish Byerly would've been here at a different time. He's a darn good QB who impresses me every time he gets an opportunity. I honestly think we've got the two best QB's of the CPJ era at the same time. Nesbitt would have something to say about that, but ...
I think you are exactly right about this and should not apologize to anybody, including Nesbitt, for saying it. Byerly IS the second best QB we have had in the last 8 years, and beyond really. It is too bad for him to be here along side JT, but it is great for GT. Although Tim doesn't have Nesbitt's arm strength overall, he is a far more accomplished passer. We may never have as physical a runner at QB as Nesbitt again, but Byerly is not far behind. I just think TB grasps the offense so well and makes everybody better.

Buzzoff

Georgia Tech Fan
At first I was like... There's no way Nesbitt is 3rd behind Byerly in the CPJ era but boomergump has some good points.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt just had the "it" factor for this specific offense...he had intangible qualities you just can't measure, and the offense rallied behind him. There's something to be said for when it's 3rd and short, you know it's a first down because you had Nesbitt and Nesbitt WANTED the ball in those situations. There's that now famous story about Nesbitt's call against Wake Forest. CPJ wanted to kick the field goal, but Josh said "No, I can get it". From what I've seen, the guy is the prototypical QB you want on the midline option.

I don't disagree with anything said about Byerly. I said it a couple of years ago when Vad was here and JeT was a redshirt Freshmen, that Byerly probably ran the offense the smoothest and that he had a better grasp of the entire offense (passing and running) than the other two. He just doesn't have the athletic ability to break any given play open that Vad and JeT does. That one drive during the Spring game shows you how great of a passer he is. He pretty much threw 3 TDs on one drive...it's just that our recievers dropped the first two TD passes. He's extremely efficient in this offense...he just can't do what JeT can do, but then again, 90% of the QBs in college can't.

If anyone followed Byerly's HS career, it shouldn't be a surprise. He really should have been a more heavily recruited QB coming out of HS. Put up video game numbers running and passing, was GA's State POY. I know this, if JeT has to miss a play (and I hope to the football Gods he doesn't), but if he did, I would have no concern about Byerly coming in and taking over.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you are exactly right about this and should not apologize to anybody, including Nesbitt, for saying it. Byerly IS the second best QB we have had in the last 8 years, and beyond really. It is too bad for him to be here along side JT, but it is great for GT. Although Tim doesn't have Nesbitt's arm strength overall, he is a far more accomplished passer. We may never have as physical a runner at QB as Nesbitt again, but Byerly is not far behind. I just think TB grasps the offense so well and makes everybody better.
You can't say he IS better than Nesbitt. He hardly has played, and Nesbitt won an ACC championship. Nesbitt IS the second best qb of the Paul Johnson era. I like Byerly but Nesbitt was a hoss.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt just had the "it" factor for this specific offense...he had intangible qualities you just can't measure, and the offense rallied behind him. There's something to be said for when it's 3rd and short, you know it's a first down because you had Nesbitt and Nesbitt WANTED the ball in those situations. There's that now famous story about Nesbitt's call against Wake Forest. CPJ wanted to kick the field goal, but Josh said "No, I can get it". From what I've seen, the guy is the prototypical QB you want on the midline option.

I don't disagree with anything said about Byerly. I said it a couple of years ago when Vad was here and JeT was a redshirt Freshmen, that Byerly probably ran the offense the smoothest and that he had a better grasp of the entire offense (passing and running) than the other two. He just doesn't have the athletic ability to break any given play open that Vad and JeT does. That one drive during the Spring game shows you how great of a passer he is. He pretty much threw 3 TDs on one drive...it's just that our recievers dropped the first two TD passes. He's extremely efficient in this offense...he just can't do what JeT can do, but then again, 90% of the QBs in college can't.

If anyone followed Byerly's HS career, it shouldn't be a surprise. He really should have been a more heavily recruited QB coming out of HS. Put up video game numbers running and passing, was GA's State POY. I know this, if JeT has to miss a play (and I hope to the football Gods he doesn't), but if he did, I would have no concern about Byerly coming in and taking over.
People love to remember the OT 4th down conversion and forget the 2 failed attempts earlier in that game. The dude was good, but not automatic in short yardage.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think its pretty impressive how unstoppable the 1st team Offense looked against the 1st team D, especially given that they have been practicing against each other all spring and the D guys knew exactly what to expect. And imo this doesn't mean our D is bad or going to be bad, just that the O with JT in there is basically unstoppable

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
JT is a freak athlete. Down right electric. That being said, TB is a very good athlete in his own right. Different type than JT but an athlete. And a good QB also. If we need TB this year I will have no fear. He will succeed when given opportunities.