Georgia Tech’s Inability to Land In-State Talent is Becoming Problematic

Animal02

Banned
Those separate drinking fountains had disappeared in the late '60s. The Klan was in the woodwork if you first arrived in the late '70s.
They drinking fountains were still there, just minus the signs. I remember clearly wondering why they had to sets side by side, a high and low one.....the saw photo about a year later with the signs hanging overhead and it struck me that was the reason. The Klan was active and in the open. I recall the news broadcast of their rallies, and seeing business cards left at restaurants saying "You have been patronized by the KKK"

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
THE BROWNS

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gif

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
They drinking fountains were still there, just minus the signs. I remember clearly wondering why they had to sets side by side, a high and low one.....the saw photo about a year later with the signs hanging overhead and it struck me that was the reason. The Klan was active and in the open. I recall the news broadcast of their rallies, and seeing business cards left at restaurants saying "You have been patronized by the KKK"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: The taller ones were for the adults and big kids and the shorter ones were for younger children. You could've found the same arrangement in every elementary school in the country. Nowadays you'll find that arrangement where the lower one is for wheelchair bound people.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Grew up in Savannah, lower middle class and am 60 years old. Never saw racially separate drinking fountains and the klan was seen as a relic of the past. They would occasionally make news if they wanted to parade down a street and exercise their first amendment rights but that's about it. Segregation in the schools was standard until bussing started in my eighth grade although there were a few black students in Elementary school but the drinking fountains were the same for the kids. I would guess that the inconsistency of experience is because some areas were much worse than others.

Well they were out and about in the late 70's / early 80's.
I know they were, but I really never heard of them growing up in Augusta, in spite of obvious discriminatory practices and policies. As surprising as it might be, there was probably a more obvious presence of the Klan in the Atlanta area than in cities like Augusta and Savannah. But it's presence was probably more obvious in small towns in rural Georgia

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I know they were, but I really never heard of them growing up in Augusta, in spite of obvious discriminatory practices and policies. As surprising as it might be, there was probably a more obvious presence of the Klan in the Atlanta area than in cities like Augusta and Savannah. But it's presence was probably more obvious in small towns in rural Georgia
I wouldn't say obvious. I was born and raised in the 50s and 60s in a town in middle Georgia with a population of less than 4000, and I never knew a single person who stated they associated with the Klan. This includes all of my father's friends. There was one Klan rally in the early 60s in my county. A neighbor went to it just to observe from a curiosity standpoint, but said he did not see a single car with tags from our county except for a few people like himself who were on the periphery and not participating.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If ugag alums didn't control our curriculum, then recruiting could be vastly improved. I don't think anyone could come to GT under the current restrictions/recruiting budget and do much better.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Back to the original premise of the thread ... aren't our first 3 commits from in state? Just wondering. Ok, they may not be 4-5 stars, but Thomas is very highly regarded and I bet a lot of schools come after our receiver commit late in the process.

Milwaukee

Banned
Back to the original premise of the thread ... aren't our first 3 commits from in state? Just wondering. Ok, they may not be 4-5 stars, but Thomas is very highly regarded and I bet a lot of schools come after our receiver commit late in the process.

That's where most people are getting confused. The author didn't state that we don't have GA players on the roster. He is only talking about the blue chip recruits. Whether or not blue chip recruits are important or not is another debate, but I think people are putting words in the author's mouth.

#offseason

Deleted member 2897

That's where most people are getting confused. The author didn't state that we don't have GA players on the roster. He is only talking about the blue chip recruits. Whether or not blue chip recruits are important or not is another debate, but I think people are putting words in the author's mouth.

#offseason

Well the problem is we don't get blue chips period. So yes we don't get them from Georgia. But we also don't get them from the other 56 states that Obama's been to. /side trip