Georgia Southern -- Never again (or at least no time soon)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to keep as much in-state as possible. I'd be okay with rotating Ga Southern and Ga. State every year. We could also play KSU and Savannah St. Is KSU private or public? Mercer is another FCS school in Georgia. Give these kids' families a chance to see their kids play big time football close to home (not GSU and State).

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't know. Those aren't bad points, but if southern it's really destined to rise to our level, wouldn't that occur independently of playing us? You are giving us perhaps too much credit. As long as they are not in the P5 they won't compete with us for recruits, period. Fritz said they don't have one player who was offered by tech. I would take several right now.

He said offered. But I think some were recruited by Tech, though not offered. The fullback James Dean, a kid out of Glynn Academy, I believe was recruited to some extent. I think we took a look at Ellison, too.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We offered both Ellison and Battle. We really wanted Ellison. I was trying to figure out how both those guys ended up at Ga Southern. I know Ellison had a final four of GT, Auburn, Ole Miss and USCe at one point. I think both of those guys would be huge on our D.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be in favor of playing Ga Southern two out of every three or four years. If they need a home game to boost their average attendance to remain FBS, then play at the Dome every now and then.
no worries about GS attendance. GA state, on the other hand, is a totally different matter. i don't know what kinda voodoo math they use to calculate their attendance numbers but it's ridiculous. they must have ticket takers who see in double-vision!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We offered both Ellison and Battle. We really wanted Ellison. I was trying to figure out how both those guys ended up at Ga Southern. I know Ellison had a final four of GT, Auburn, Ole Miss and USCe at one point. I think both of those guys would be huge on our D.

Ellison had offers from none of those schools..he claimed them but never had them.

Never offered Battle either.. Schools scared off by his major knee surgery.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Then maybe GS is willing to give us a discount!
only way that happens is if GT would agree to come to statesboro in some kinda deal, i'd imagine. honestly, i don't see a game between GS and a P5 opponent for another 4-5 years down the line. but, i'd love to see it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So Fritz's pregame speech was all rhetorical? (ie, lies)

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
What is worse: empty seats or huge numbers of opponent fans?

What is good about playing GSU? Their colors blend in with ours. On TV it looks like one team's colors

What is bad about playing GSU? Hearing a chant "Georgia" / "Southern" when sitting at Grant Field.

Playing Kennesaw, Mercer or even Ga State will not "fill up" Grant Field, certainly not with opponent fans.

I like the thought of Grant Field being filled with fans, GT fans. Having 20k people dressed in red and black at Grant Field late in November sucks:

and remember, the East Stands is the one on TV mostly.

I am all for playing more FBS schools - especially challenging ones. We just need to schedule teams that are not going bring an overwhelming number of fans (think BYU). Unless we can get our fans to buy the tickets and use them, not sell them on Stubhub.

Limit big blocks of the opponent's fans to the one section the AA gives to the school and we can schedule anyone.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What is worse: empty seats or huge numbers of opponent fans?

What is good about playing GSU? Their colors blend in with ours. On TV it looks like one team's colors

What is bad about playing GSU? Hearing a chant "Georgia" / "Southern" when sitting at Grant Field.

Playing Kennesaw, Mercer or even Ga State will not "fill up" Grant Field, certainly not with opponent fans.

I like the thought of Grant Field being filled with fans, GT fans. Having 20k people dressed in red and black at Grant Field late in November sucks:

and remember, the East Stands is the one on TV mostly.

I am all for playing more FBS schools - especially challenging ones. We just need to schedule teams that are not going bring an overwhelming number of fans (think BYU). Unless we can get our fans to buy the tickets and use them, not sell them on Stubhub.

Limit big blocks of the opponent's fans to the one section the AA gives to the school and we can schedule anyone.

The attendance for the BYU game was 50103. SEE HERE
It was the second highest attended game of the 2012 season, after Miami with 50390. SEE THERE

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ellison had offers from none of those schools..he claimed them but never had them.

Never offered Battle either.. Schools scared off by his major knee surgery.
I figured you'd straighten me out. I just remember people being really high on Ellison and him being a 3*/4* rated guy by the services. Both of those guys looked pretty good on Saturday. I remember Battle blowing out his knee his junior year. I believe it was both his ACL and MCL.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My comments are based on the comment that we're going to play one lower, non-P5 team and one FCS team every year anyway. Why not keep it local? I'll bet that it won't be long before KSU is going to be similar to what GSU was doing in Statesboro. They have a huge student population now that will mostly stay local (Georgia) and care about their sports.

If I had my choice, we'd play UGA every year, alternate Alabama/Auburn/Tennessee/Florida every year, B1G team every year and alternate Big12/Pac12. Fill up our OOC with very tough competition because we have some pretty weak teams in the ACC. We do that and we'll have a sold out HGF for every OOC game and, if we're good, most of the ACC games. That kind of schedule will attract better athletes, as well.

Animal02

Banned
Did they bring enough fans to make up the $$$ difference?

I did a numbers calculation on another board a couple of years ago. There is no real added value bringing in "name" teams that boost attendance by 10k compared to the real value is having the 7th home game every year. Ideally, you could line up several FBS teams that would agree to home/away/home contracts and schedule it right for the 7 home games a year, but that is a difficult maneuver. It is far easier to pay an FCS team to come in.

Animal02

Banned
My comments are based on the comment that we're going to play one lower, non-P5 team and one FCS team every year anyway. Why not keep it local? I'll bet that it won't be long before KSU is going to be similar to what GSU was doing in Statesboro. They have a huge student population now that will mostly stay local (Georgia) and care about their sports.

If I had my choice, we'd play UGA every year, alternate Alabama/Auburn/Tennessee/Florida every year, B1G team every year and alternate Big12/Pac12. Fill up our OOC with very tough competition because we have some pretty weak teams in the ACC. We do that and we'll have a sold out HGF for every OOC game and, if we're good, most of the ACC games. That kind of schedule will attract better athletes, as well.
And then you would complain about going 6-6 most years.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
You're comparing FCS games vs FBS games. The GTAA isn't going to drop Wofford or the like who get paid $250k to play in order to schedule Southern who just got $700k.

Didn't realize we pay FBS schools. Is this because they were FCS when scheduled?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And then you would complain about going 6-6 most years.
If we played that type of schedule, I would be much more satisfied with a 7(8)-5, 8(9)-4 season, if we were competitive.

BTW, I hope that was the euphemistic "you" because I don't think you can find a post where I complained about our record. I will say with the OOC schedule we have today, I'm not satisfied with 7-6 or 8-5. We essentially start with 3 guaranteed wins each year.