Georgia - COFH Baseball

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Friday does get rained out, the schools are so close geographically, I don't see why they couldn't play Saturday afternoon at Tech then hop in their respective busses and play an evening game in Athens. I think it would make a great storyline plus it would give the players a few hours between games when they could grab a bite to eat and rest up a bit. I don't see any chance in hell that Hall would give up his home game to play a doubleheader in Athens. Seriously, how hard would it be to make that happen.
The Yankees and the Mets have done the day/night double header lol

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
It is now looking like the rain will mostly be cleared out by gametime. However, the field is going to take a lot of water in the hours prior to the game. How quickly can the field be drained and prepped? My guess is that it will be too wet, but it bears watching.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It is now looking like the rain will mostly be cleared out by gametime. However, the field is going to take a lot of water in the hours prior to the game. How quickly can the field be drained and prepped? My guess is that it will be too wet, but it bears watching.
I agree, and 44 degrees and feels like 39 at gametime. I prefer a doubleheader tomorrow, we'll see.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't they keep a tarp over the infield?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Looong (but reasonable) preview shamelessly stripped from a uga board for enemy perspective:

————————————————————

“Weekend Information:

• Game 1: Friday at 6:00PM in Atlanta, GA (ACCN+)
  • Game 2: Saturday at 2:00PM in Athens, GA (SECN+)
  • Game 3: Sunday at 1:00PM in Lawrenceville, GA (Radio Only)
Offensive Comparison:

• Team Batting Average: Georgia 25th (.337) to Georgia Tech 39th (.321)
  • Team On-Base Percentage: Georgia 8th (.482) to Georgia Tech 24th (.458)
  • Team Slugging: Georgia 1st (.706) to Georgia Tech 6th (.668)
  • Team Scoring: Georgia 18th (10.8) to Georgia Tech 38th (9.5)
  • Team Stolen Bases: Georgia Tech 44th (15) to Georgia 224th (4)
Pitching Comparison:

• Team ERA: Georgia Tech 40th (3.75) to Georgia 116th (5.35)
  • Team WHIP: Georgia Tech 50th (1.33) toGeorgia 92nd (1.46)
  • Team Strikeouts per 9: Georgia Tech 8th (12.4) to Georgia 29th (11.6)
  • Team Walks per 9: Georgia 82nd (4.14) to Georgia Tech 122nd (4.75)
  • Team Fielding Percentage: Georgia 52nd (.980) to Georgia Tech 84th (.975)
Scouting the Opponent
Pitching Report

• Georgia Tech revamped their entire pitching coaching staff this offseason. They went out and hired Matt Taylor from Georgia State as their new pitching coach and brought in Jason Richman from USC-Aiken to be their Director of Pitching. They might have been the worst pitching staff in baseball last season, finishing with an ERA over 7.00 as a team.
  • Cameron Hill looks like he will be the Friday night guys this weekend. He's had two starts against lower competition, but they've both been very good. He did walk three last weekend in 4 innings against Cornell, but he also struck out 7. Hill is a lefty, so I bet we see Toetz crack the lineup against him. It's all about the walks for Hill because he has a .053 Batting Average Against so far. We did not face Hill in 2023, but we faced him as a freshman in 2022. He pitched 1.1 IP allowing a hit and a walk but no runs in a game we won 12-3.
  • Aeden Finateri will be their Saturday arm for the start in Athens and he has been their best pitcher early this season. Through two starts, he is rocking a 0.83 ERA and an 18:2 K:BB ratio over 11 innings. The Dawgs touched Finateri up last year for 5 H and 3 HRs in 1.2 IP so hopefully that continues.
  • Sounds like it will be Logan McGuire on Sunday. McGuire was a pretty big tie recruit out of Allatoona a few years back but has dealt with some injury issues at GT that has held him back some. Has some really good life on his fastball. Upside is really high but things haven't gone his way in college yet.
  • I expected Mason Patel, a transfer from Georgia State to be their Sunday guy but he has struggled a little bit so far and it sounds like they're giving McGuire a shot to get into the weekend rotation as they are still searching for a 3rd weekend starter.
  • The bullpen is a story of new faces for the Jackets. Brett Thomas comes over from South Carolina where he had some success pitching in the SEC out of the pen.
  • How GT uses Cam Jones will be interesting. He's a two-way player who came over from Georgia State and will likely start at least 2 games in the OF. But he also has a few pen appearances as well and has looked good.
  • Freshman Tate McKee is the story for this staff so far, though. The true freshman can show you mid-90s on the FB despite a smaller frame. He was a Top 150 national recruit out of Kennesaw. He's been shut down in the pen so far. He's allowed just 1 H in 5.1IP.
  • Another young local product has seen some success for the Jackets so far. Redshirt Freshman Riley Stanford out of Buford. He can get up to 97/98 with the fastball. He's a big dude with a heavy FB.
Offensive Report

• When talking Georgia Tech baseball right now, you are required to start withDrew Burress. The HoCo product was a Top 20 recruit nationally last year and has broken onto the college baseball scene this year in very loud fashion. The kid has 9 HRs on the season already and hit 4 in one game this past week against Georgia State. He might be the only guy who has had a louder start to the season than Charlie Condon, though Charlie has been better all around
  • Offensively, Georgia Tech has nearly matched Georgia's output to date, which is extremely impressive. They don't quite hit for as much power, but they have real pop
  • The biggest difference between the two, is that GT has pretty much settled into it's top 8 guys or so. They start pretty much the same lineup every day. They don't quite have the depth that Georgia has
  • It has not been a one-man show, though. A pair of transfers, Peyton Green (NC State) and Mike Becchetti have really helped add depth to the GT lineup
  • Matthew Ellis (Indiana) and Trey Yunger (Wofford) are two more transfers getting a lot of starts for this Jackets lineup
Scouting the Dwags
Pitching Report

• Charlie Goldstein will go Friday and he has been our clear-cut #1 to date. So far, Charlie has 14 Ks over 9 innings and only allowing a .133 Batting Average against him so far. Avoid the walks and Charlie is primed to give us a shot to win when he's on the mound
  • Christian Mracna should go on Saturday, and he's been much less consistent so far. The George Mason transfer has been in and out of trouble all year. His ERA looks great, at 1.23, but he has a 1.50 WHIP and has 6 BBs in 7 innings pitched. If he walks multiple guys against Tech, they'll smoke him. He has shown some ability to pitch in and out of jams, though, which is not nothing. Some guys are able to stay calm despite base runners and that is a good trait to have
  • Leighton Finley has been somewhere in the middle, IMO. His stuff has looked as good as anyone's. HIs peripherals are great. He has 8 Ks to 0 BBs on the season. He has a WHIP lower than Goldstein's, but he has an ERA over 5 because of a couple 2-run HRs. He hung two pitched against against Nothern Kentucky and both of them left the yard. You can chalk that up to bad luck, but the HRs have been an issue for this staff and it's worth not overreacting to, but you can't dismiss it either
  • I expect to see more of Daniel Padysakmoving forward. He only has one weekend appearance so far.'
  • Despite playing two games this week, we did not see Kolten Smith, which should tell you something. We may see them piggyback Kolten off Mracna
  • I still expect to see Josh Roberge, Brandt Pancer, and Brian Zeldin the guys used in the highest leverage situations, which we should see more of this weekend than we have in previous
  • If there is a silver lining to the Wednesday game against MSU going sideways, it's that we got to use Sutton, Hays, ang Gold to cover about 4 innings of work and get their feet wet at this level.
  • One side note, it was awesome to seeColeman Willis come in and have some success on Tuesday. If you could not tell from the team reaction, Coleman is absolutely loved by every dude in that locker room. There isn't a guy in that dugout who wants it more or works harder than Coleman
Offensive Report

• Charlie Condon just continues to shock. You'd think we'd be numb to it at this point but when he hits 3 HRs in his first 3 ABs on Wednesday, it leaves you speechless. He now leads the country in Slugging Percentage, he is 2nd in the country in Batting Average, 3rd in the country in On-Base Percentage, and 3rd in the country inm HRs per Game. He would deserve the Golden Spikes today if the season ended
  • Lineup construction this weekend will be very interesting, especially if the weather forces a DH of some sorts. This is the first weekend of true competition so which guys are tabbed to start and which guys who have been in the rotation start to see fewer opportunities? Guys like John Marant, Lukas Farris, and Trey King who have struggled with limited opportunities may not see as much action moving forward
  • On the other hand, guys like Tre Phelps and Paul Toetz who have not necessarily been at the top of the list but have really excelled when given a shot may start to force CWJ's hand and put them in the lineup.
  • Personally, I am hoping to see more of Clayton Chadwick in a corner OF spot and more of Charlie Condon at 1B. It isn't that Charlie can't play a solid OF, he can, I just think we are a better club when he is at 1B. I want Charlie at 1B and then I want Slate Alford, Tre Phelps, and Paul Toetz to share 2B and 3B with Slate being the guy who gets the most starts among the 3 as long he doesn't revert to his Miss St defense
  • I can't say enough about Fernando Gonzalez so far this season. The way he catches this staff, hitting .417 right now with 2 HRs is beyond icing on the cake. He won't hit like that all year, he's going to catch too many games to do so, but if he can hover around .300 and continue to provide the occasional pop, he's going to be the most unheralded star of this roster. The best thing Wes Johnson did when he got to Athens was ensure that Charlie wasn't going anywhere. The second best thing he did was get Fernando to come back
  • Looking at the down side of this offense so far, he have got to hit better with RISP. It's one of those stats that gets blown out of proportion in small samples, but it's still true. We haven't had the timley hits the last 4-5 games. We need to see those come back this weekend if we want to win this series
Weekend Prediction
I don't have a great feel for this weekend. I think we can absolutely score runs against this GT pitching staff, but they are improved from last year and I have some concerns that they will be able to rack up some strikeouts against us. The fact that they have only allowed 2 HRs all season is super interesting. Will that prove to be the difference? If they can keep us in the park, they probably win the series. At the same time, does that mean they've experienced a lot of fly ball luck that is ready to come crashing down this weekend against a team that can hit the lights out?”

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Looong (but reasonable) preview shamelessly stripped from a uga board for enemy perspective:

————————————————————

“Weekend Information:

• Game 1: Friday at 6:00PM in Atlanta, GA (ACCN+)
  • Game 2: Saturday at 2:00PM in Athens, GA (SECN+)
  • Game 3: Sunday at 1:00PM in Lawrenceville, GA (Radio Only)
Offensive Comparison:

• Team Batting Average: Georgia 25th (.337) to Georgia Tech 39th (.321)
  • Team On-Base Percentage: Georgia 8th (.482) to Georgia Tech 24th (.458)
  • Team Slugging: Georgia 1st (.706) to Georgia Tech 6th (.668)
  • Team Scoring: Georgia 18th (10.8) to Georgia Tech 38th (9.5)
  • Team Stolen Bases: Georgia Tech 44th (15) to Georgia 224th (4)
Pitching Comparison:

• Team ERA: Georgia Tech 40th (3.75) to Georgia 116th (5.35)
  • Team WHIP: Georgia Tech 50th (1.33) toGeorgia 92nd (1.46)
  • Team Strikeouts per 9: Georgia Tech 8th (12.4) to Georgia 29th (11.6)
  • Team Walks per 9: Georgia 82nd (4.14) to Georgia Tech 122nd (4.75)
  • Team Fielding Percentage: Georgia 52nd (.980) to Georgia Tech 84th (.975)
Scouting the Opponent
Pitching Report

• Georgia Tech revamped their entire pitching coaching staff this offseason. They went out and hired Matt Taylor from Georgia State as their new pitching coach and brought in Jason Richman from USC-Aiken to be their Director of Pitching. They might have been the worst pitching staff in baseball last season, finishing with an ERA over 7.00 as a team.
  • Cameron Hill looks like he will be the Friday night guys this weekend. He's had two starts against lower competition, but they've both been very good. He did walk three last weekend in 4 innings against Cornell, but he also struck out 7. Hill is a lefty, so I bet we see Toetz crack the lineup against him. It's all about the walks for Hill because he has a .053 Batting Average Against so far. We did not face Hill in 2023, but we faced him as a freshman in 2022. He pitched 1.1 IP allowing a hit and a walk but no runs in a game we won 12-3.
  • Aeden Finateri will be their Saturday arm for the start in Athens and he has been their best pitcher early this season. Through two starts, he is rocking a 0.83 ERA and an 18:2 K:BB ratio over 11 innings. The Dawgs touched Finateri up last year for 5 H and 3 HRs in 1.2 IP so hopefully that continues.
  • Sounds like it will be Logan McGuire on Sunday. McGuire was a pretty big tie recruit out of Allatoona a few years back but has dealt with some injury issues at GT that has held him back some. Has some really good life on his fastball. Upside is really high but things haven't gone his way in college yet.
  • I expected Mason Patel, a transfer from Georgia State to be their Sunday guy but he has struggled a little bit so far and it sounds like they're giving McGuire a shot to get into the weekend rotation as they are still searching for a 3rd weekend starter.
  • The bullpen is a story of new faces for the Jackets. Brett Thomas comes over from South Carolina where he had some success pitching in the SEC out of the pen.
  • How GT uses Cam Jones will be interesting. He's a two-way player who came over from Georgia State and will likely start at least 2 games in the OF. But he also has a few pen appearances as well and has looked good.
  • Freshman Tate McKee is the story for this staff so far, though. The true freshman can show you mid-90s on the FB despite a smaller frame. He was a Top 150 national recruit out of Kennesaw. He's been shut down in the pen so far. He's allowed just 1 H in 5.1IP.
  • Another young local product has seen some success for the Jackets so far. Redshirt Freshman Riley Stanford out of Buford. He can get up to 97/98 with the fastball. He's a big dude with a heavy FB.
Offensive Report

• When talking Georgia Tech baseball right now, you are required to start withDrew Burress. The HoCo product was a Top 20 recruit nationally last year and has broken onto the college baseball scene this year in very loud fashion. The kid has 9 HRs on the season already and hit 4 in one game this past week against Georgia State. He might be the only guy who has had a louder start to the season than Charlie Condon, though Charlie has been better all around
  • Offensively, Georgia Tech has nearly matched Georgia's output to date, which is extremely impressive. They don't quite hit for as much power, but they have real pop
  • The biggest difference between the two, is that GT has pretty much settled into it's top 8 guys or so. They start pretty much the same lineup every day. They don't quite have the depth that Georgia has
  • It has not been a one-man show, though. A pair of transfers, Peyton Green (NC State) and Mike Becchetti have really helped add depth to the GT lineup
  • Matthew Ellis (Indiana) and Trey Yunger (Wofford) are two more transfers getting a lot of starts for this Jackets lineup
Scouting the Dwags
Pitching Report

• Charlie Goldstein will go Friday and he has been our clear-cut #1 to date. So far, Charlie has 14 Ks over 9 innings and only allowing a .133 Batting Average against him so far. Avoid the walks and Charlie is primed to give us a shot to win when he's on the mound
  • Christian Mracna should go on Saturday, and he's been much less consistent so far. The George Mason transfer has been in and out of trouble all year. His ERA looks great, at 1.23, but he has a 1.50 WHIP and has 6 BBs in 7 innings pitched. If he walks multiple guys against Tech, they'll smoke him. He has shown some ability to pitch in and out of jams, though, which is not nothing. Some guys are able to stay calm despite base runners and that is a good trait to have
  • Leighton Finley has been somewhere in the middle, IMO. His stuff has looked as good as anyone's. HIs peripherals are great. He has 8 Ks to 0 BBs on the season. He has a WHIP lower than Goldstein's, but he has an ERA over 5 because of a couple 2-run HRs. He hung two pitched against against Nothern Kentucky and both of them left the yard. You can chalk that up to bad luck, but the HRs have been an issue for this staff and it's worth not overreacting to, but you can't dismiss it either
  • I expect to see more of Daniel Padysakmoving forward. He only has one weekend appearance so far.'
  • Despite playing two games this week, we did not see Kolten Smith, which should tell you something. We may see them piggyback Kolten off Mracna
  • I still expect to see Josh Roberge, Brandt Pancer, and Brian Zeldin the guys used in the highest leverage situations, which we should see more of this weekend than we have in previous
  • If there is a silver lining to the Wednesday game against MSU going sideways, it's that we got to use Sutton, Hays, ang Gold to cover about 4 innings of work and get their feet wet at this level.
  • One side note, it was awesome to seeColeman Willis come in and have some success on Tuesday. If you could not tell from the team reaction, Coleman is absolutely loved by every dude in that locker room. There isn't a guy in that dugout who wants it more or works harder than Coleman
Offensive Report

• Charlie Condon just continues to shock. You'd think we'd be numb to it at this point but when he hits 3 HRs in his first 3 ABs on Wednesday, it leaves you speechless. He now leads the country in Slugging Percentage, he is 2nd in the country in Batting Average, 3rd in the country in On-Base Percentage, and 3rd in the country inm HRs per Game. He would deserve the Golden Spikes today if the season ended
  • Lineup construction this weekend will be very interesting, especially if the weather forces a DH of some sorts. This is the first weekend of true competition so which guys are tabbed to start and which guys who have been in the rotation start to see fewer opportunities? Guys like John Marant, Lukas Farris, and Trey King who have struggled with limited opportunities may not see as much action moving forward
  • On the other hand, guys like Tre Phelps and Paul Toetz who have not necessarily been at the top of the list but have really excelled when given a shot may start to force CWJ's hand and put them in the lineup.
  • Personally, I am hoping to see more of Clayton Chadwick in a corner OF spot and more of Charlie Condon at 1B. It isn't that Charlie can't play a solid OF, he can, I just think we are a better club when he is at 1B. I want Charlie at 1B and then I want Slate Alford, Tre Phelps, and Paul Toetz to share 2B and 3B with Slate being the guy who gets the most starts among the 3 as long he doesn't revert to his Miss St defense
  • I can't say enough about Fernando Gonzalez so far this season. The way he catches this staff, hitting .417 right now with 2 HRs is beyond icing on the cake. He won't hit like that all year, he's going to catch too many games to do so, but if he can hover around .300 and continue to provide the occasional pop, he's going to be the most unheralded star of this roster. The best thing Wes Johnson did when he got to Athens was ensure that Charlie wasn't going anywhere. The second best thing he did was get Fernando to come back
  • Looking at the down side of this offense so far, he have got to hit better with RISP. It's one of those stats that gets blown out of proportion in small samples, but it's still true. We haven't had the timley hits the last 4-5 games. We need to see those come back this weekend if we want to win this series
Weekend Prediction
I don't have a great feel for this weekend. I think we can absolutely score runs against this GT pitching staff, but they are improved from last year and I have some concerns that they will be able to rack up some strikeouts against us. The fact that they have only allowed 2 HRs all season is super interesting. Will that prove to be the difference? If they can keep us in the park, they probably win the series. At the same time, does that mean they've experienced a lot of fly ball luck that is ready to come crashing down this weekend against a team that can hit the lights out?”
Excellent, detailed, fair analysis. I appreciate you posting this.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Are there still tickets left for this game? hard to tell from their website. looks like there may only be lawn seats and im looking for a seated seat :)
Not certain but I’ve been able to general admission tickets last couple of years on game day.

This year I just order them early since my son is with me this weekend