Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Collins was so bad, why was he nominated for assistant coach of the year at all three of his DC stops? How did he go to bowls both years as HC at Temple?

People don't want to look at all the facts--they just want a person to blame. I've explained a dozen times why the combination of the players Johnson left behind, the failure of GT to give Collins an adequate budget for assistants, and Covid preventing on campus recruiting to upgrade the talent base (the 2020 class was rated higher than this year's, then Covid hit in 2021). It was the perfect storm, and few, if any, coaches could have been successful.

I don't know if he could have been successful if he had inherited the talent Johnson inherited from Gailey, and he had a better budget for coaches. But people who want to blame Collins and call him names are just showing their ignorance. The issues are far more complex. The mistake Collins made was taking the job. He was enamored with coming back to Atlanta--and his ego got in the way--and he didn't look at all the downside.
Whoever was hired post CPJ had a major talent problem and roster rebuild that was going to take 4- 5 years. Probability of failure was high.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why I am contributing, but here goes...

CCG was great at evaluating and developing NFL level talent. His teams overcame multiple issues that were not his fault (Flunkgate, injuries, etc.) and still went to a bowl every year. His biggest issues was not developing QBs to match the rest of the talent on the field and hiring an idiot for OC. Hr also did not push Nix out when it was clear he was incompetent.

CPJ was a coaching genius who could take lesser talent and beat better teams. He overcame lack of support of ADs in both funding assistant coaches as well as the overall program. Heck, MBoob tried to push him out at Tech. And, yet, he was still highly successful. His biggest issue was not recruiting ACC level talent to remain competitive every year.

CGC inherited a program bereft of talent. He was not put in a position to succeed, especially after Covid, the transfer portal rule changes, and NIL. Still, recruiting made a clear improvement (Gibbs alone is proof of that). His biggest issue is that he was empty suit. He did not know how to run a program other than talk a bunch BS.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

CCG was great at evaluating and developing NFL level talent. His teams overcame multiple issues that were not his fault (Flunkgate, injuries, etc.) and still went to a bowl every year. His biggest issues was not developing QBs to match the rest of the talent on the field and hiring an idiot for OC. Hr also did not push Nix out when it was clear he was incompetent.

CPJ was a coaching genius who could take lesser talent and beat better teams. He overcame lack of support of ADs in both funding assistant coaches as well as the overall program. Heck, MBoob tried to push him out at Tech. And, yet, he was still highly successful. His biggest issue was not recruiting ACC level talent to remain competitive every year.

CGC inherited a program bereft of talent. He was not put in a position to succeed, especially after Covid, the transfer portal rule changes, and NIL. Still, recruiting made a clear improvement (Gibbs alone is proof of that). His biggest issue is that he was empty suit. He did not know how to run a program other than talk a bunch BS.
Nailed it!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

This is probably the fairest and most cogent assessment in the entire 34 page history of this thread.

slugboy

Staff member

I don’t agree with “he was not put in a position to succeed”. TFG was given far more resources than either of his predecessors. Stansbury gave him every resource possible. He was in a rebuild, but there are coaches who have succeeded in similar situations in a year or two.
Recruiting did trend up; however, assistant coaches like Choice were important contributors, and deserve a lot of the credit. Also, there was increased investment in recruiting staff.
Other programs dealt with COVID and the transfer portal.
It wasn’t an easy situation. He had a lot of graduating talent. But he was given a lot of latitude and plenty of time. There’s no indication that he ever was going to significantly improve the team. After several 3 win seasons, it’s clear that he’s a 3 win kind of coach.
Despite him saying “if you can’t see the improvement, you’re not looking”, I can’t find an area where he actually improved the team year over year.

If he was secretly talented above the typical coach, opponents who saw him in action—coaching, recruiting—would jump on the chance to get an undervalued coach who wanted to rebuild his reputation.

UNC desperately needs defense. If he can recruit and coach defense, they’d pay him.

Saban hired Kiffin, who he apparently can’t stand. If TFG could help a team win, his phone would be rung off the hook

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Before he came to GT, we knew he could recruit. We knew he could "market". I would say based on Temple's happiness when he left, we probably should have known he wasn't an adequate head coach, but I was hoping against hope otherwise. My initial reaction to his personality was "uh oh", but of course I hoped I was wrong, even though I had 35+ years in business to see this type of personality. I saw many move upward with this personality, but I saw very, very few actually succeed at tangible results.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Before he came to GT, we knew he could recruit. We knew he could "market". I would say based on Temple's happiness when he left, we probably should have known he wasn't an adequate head coach, but I was hoping against hope otherwise. My initial reaction to his personality was "uh oh", but of course I hoped I was wrong, even though I had 35+ years in business to see this type of personality. I saw many move upward with this personality, but I saw very, very few actually succeed at tangible results.
On target.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
On target.
It's so interesting that people who "want to believe" - I guess I would call them eternal optimists - these folks, in my experience never solved as many problems as people I worked with that were considered "negative" or pessimists. I call myself a realist, but people who want blue sky would not use that term. :D

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with “he was not put in a position to succeed”. TFG was given far more resources than either of his predecessors. Stansbury gave him every resource possible. He was in a rebuild, but there are coaches who have succeeded in similar situations in a year or two.
Recruiting did trend up; however, assistant coaches like Choice were important contributors, and deserve a lot of the credit. Also, there was increased investment in recruiting staff.
Other programs dealt with COVID and the transfer portal.
It wasn’t an easy situation. He had a lot of graduating talent. But he was given a lot of latitude and plenty of time. There’s no indication that he ever was going to significantly improve the team. After several 3 win seasons, it’s clear that he’s a 3 win kind of coach.
Despite him saying “if you can’t see the improvement, you’re not looking”, I can’t find an area where he actually improved the team year over year.

If he was secretly talented above the typical coach, opponents who saw him in action—coaching, recruiting—would jump on the chance to get an undervalued coach who wanted to rebuild his reputation.

UNC desperately needs defense. If he can recruit and coach defense, they’d pay him.

Saban hired Kiffin, who he apparently can’t stand. If TFG could help a team win, his phone would be rung off the hook
UNC not happy with Chizic (sp) as DC. Might be gone after bowl game. They are about as bad as we are on D.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Proof that God has a sense of humor and has our back? Total points scored this year: 404. 😂

1703336994468.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.