Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He also turned a 5 star QB into a mess. He loses his staff and players as an HC. Very good assistant when there is a Siberian HC, Saban and Belichick. Running his own program will end up a mess. Some guys aren’t good HCs. BoB is not a good HC.

Um, you may want to go back and take look. That 5 star QB, Christian Hackenburg, went on to set 10 freshmen records, named B1G freshmen of the year and was projected to be a 1st round draft pick under Bill O'Brien. The person that ruined him was James Franklin who came in after O'Brien left in 2013.

Saban loses staff all the time. So does Kirby Smart. So does Ryan Day. Good coaches get poached.

O'Brien was basically coaching with one hand tied behind his back at Penn State.

O'Brien has his personal flaws, and I'll always think less of him for how he threw George Godsey under the bus, but the man is a good coach.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Whatever. His only failure at Houston was due to his role as a GM, not coach. His team won the devision four times in five years. At PSU, he was exceptional. To suggest otherwise defies logic and reason.
I am privy to info you are not. His GM issues at Houston were clear as day as the HC at Penn State.

Again a very good assistant coach. When overall in charge his issues will cause serious issues that will bring down the real/program/ organization.

You are entitled to your opinion.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am privy to info you are not. His GM issues at Houston were clear as day as the HC at Penn State.

Again a very good assistant coach. When overall in charge his issues will cause serious issues that will bring down the real/program/ organization.

You are entitled to your opinion.
And you are entitled to yours. His coaching record says more than your alleged inside information. Multiple national coach of the year awards supercede fictitious privileged intel.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Um, you may want to go back and take look. That 5 star QB, Christian Hackenburg, went on to set 10 freshmen records, named B1G freshmen of the year and was projected to be a 1st round draft pick under Bill O'Brien. The person that ruined him was James Franklin who came in after O'Brien left in 2013.

Saban loses staff all the time. So does Kirby Smart. So does Ryan Day. Good coaches get poached.

O'Brien was basically coaching with one hand tied behind his back at Penn State.

O'Brien has his personal flaws, and I'll always think less of him for how he threw George Godsey under the bus, but the man is a good coach.
O’Brien broke Hackenberg. I will leave it at that. He was a broken QB when Franklin arrived. Occasionally some of have info others don’t but can’t share more than that due to personal relationships that are based on trust.

You can have your opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
O’Brien broke Hackenberg. I will leave it at that. He was a broken QB when Franklin arrived. Occasionally some of have info others don’t but can’t share more than that due to personal relationships that are based on trust.

You can have your opinion.

I'll take his track record at PSU and Texans (and OC record at 'Bama), which is tangible, over your super secret info. This is coming from a guy who understands O'Brien is an @sshole. That's my opinion.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'll take his track record at PSU and Texans (and OC record at 'Bama), which is tangible, over your super secret info. This is coming from a guy who understands O'Brien is an @sshole. That's my opinion.
As I said he destroyed the Texans and they are just digging out of the hole he created. His problem is as a GM/HC that drives an organization down in time.

I said he is an excellent OC. Some guys are good at being coordinators but not good as HCs/GMs. He left Penn State at a good time.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
As I said he destroyed the Texans and they are just digging out of the hole he created. His problem is as a GM/HC that drives an organization down in time.

I said he is an excellent OC. Some guys are good at being coordinators but not good as HCs/GMs. He left Penn State at a good time.
Both of you guys are actually right about BOB. BOB ran a prostyle offense and if he had the players I believe he would’ve done great things at Penn St but the sanctions would’ve doomed him imo and the 30 scholarships Penn St lost and the blunt of the sanctions is what James Franklin walked into. Only a man that was groomed by Ralph Friegden could’ve survived what James Franklin did. Both men did a good job but what James Franklin survived without a losing season was a miracle coaching job lol

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Agreed on DC & HC being different.

That being said, I've thought about this quite a bit, when thinking of TFG's future job prospects. I'd have to go back and look again, but an interesting thing came up - IIRC, at most places he's been DC, he came into a situation where things were going fairly well - oftentimes when the DC had been hired away to "move up the ranks," and the fanbases were sad to see them go. And in those instances, he simply kept it competitive without it falling off a cliff. And at the same time, he wasn't there long enough for the previous DC's recruits to age out before leaving for the next gig. So in retrospect I got the sense that maybe he was "just good enough" to keep things running without the wheels falling off, but not to actually improve things.

Same thing we obviously saw with the HC roles, but accelerated - the gradual fall-off at Temple, and then the massive crash at Tech.

So I honestly don't know, but when we're talking a high 6-figures/low 7-figure jobs, I can understand being a little washy on that. The drastic failure that was his time at GT might lead lots of P5 programs to pass him over for even DC jobs. I don't support anyone getting blackballed, but there might be a lot of ego-checking involved in his next role. I do hope he can learn from his mistakes and find something that he can excel at - but as an executive, I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay him that sort of money without an unimpeachable track record. So I think either a move into the G5, or a lower-level role (below DC) at a P5 program might be in order.

Then again, what do I know? I personally wouldn't have signed a contract with no offset with any head coach, but such is what the people who are paid the big bucks wound up doing.
Clearly Collins was a fraud at Tech when our present head coach, who was friends with GC3, states that Collins as a head coach put teams on the field without any belief on us winning the game and taking millions of dollars from us that we do not have to blow. I hope he never coaches again at any level.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You're right, at the end of the day the only thing that's really relevant is your record. Wins/losses, revenue generated, profits made, battles won, casualty counts, etc.

Anyone who has ever been at or near the top of any large organization, in the middle or even at the interest bottom knows that people are constatntly managing their own agenda, rewriting history and generating visions to make themselves more favorable and others less so. They're building alliances or driving wedges in them, sometime watching from a safe vantage point for the right time to enter to fight (usually after success is all but guaranteed). When all that's said & done, you've either done it or not. Then personal conduct comes into play. You've either been top notch decent, fair and honest guy even when nobody was looking and whether or not you personally benefitted or a conniving, backstabbing ***** that takes credit for other people's work, but likely on that long continnum somewhere in between. You've largely been successul or unsuccessful not through your singular personal prowess, but by assembling a team of loyal contributors who were all willing to run thru a brick wall for you even when they had nothing or little to gain.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Geoff's agent working overtime trying to drum up interest.
Collins is represented by Jimmy Sexton, who is probably the leading agent in NCAAF. Sexton's usual MO is take a client who has been fired and then, get them hired as an analyst (for a ridiculously low salary) and give them a place to work on their reputation. Cooperating coaches get a cut of the increased value of the coach as he re-enters the profession at a higher price.

That Sexton hasn't been able to place Collins ANYWHERE is very telling. Either he can't or ...

Last edited by a moderator:

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins is represented by Jimmy Sexton, who is probably the leading agent in NCAAF. Sexton's usual MO is take a client who has been fired and then, get them hired as an analyst (for a ridiculously low salary) and give them a place to work on their reputation. Cooperating coaches get a cut of the increased value of the coach as he re-enters the profession at a higher price.

That Sexton hasn't been able to place Collins ANYWHERE is very telling. Either he can't or ...
To the bolded part… What?! Do you know this to be a fact? Do they sign a contract and does their athletic department know about this and condone it, or is this done under the table? This seems like collusion that shouldn’t be allowed.This is a new one on me. More of the dirty underbelly of college sports I guess.

P.s. but not as dirty as your last paragraph. What the heck is that about… never mind , I don’t want to know 🤮

Reactions: CEB

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To the bolded part… What?! Do you know this to be a fact? Do they sign a contract and does their athletic department know about this and condone it, or is this done under the table? This seems like collusion that shouldn’t be allowed.This is a new one on me. More of the dirty underbelly of college sports I guess.

P.s. but not as dirty as your last paragraph. What the heck is that about… never mind , I don’t want to know 🤮
TFG is insanely egotistical. It’s not hard for me to imagine he won’t take a lower job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Have I seen the contract? No. Have I heard about it from people in the know? Yes. It's an accepted practice. My understanding is that AD's don't object because they get a great hire (a former coach as an analyst for $3K a month) and the HC has wide latitude to hire who he wants.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm curious if Collins' private attitude is as arrogant and bitter as his public behavior re: tweeting bad news about GT and such.

When I'm looking at hiring someone into a "lower" role than they've had in the past - a manager who wants to be an individual again, say - I'm always trying to figure out if I think they actually want to contribute at that level and think they still have stuff to learn, or if they're bitter and convinced it was just everybody else's fault that they aren't CEO of their old gig at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.