Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Any school that gives him another shot at HC is taking a big gamble. As much as I am disappointed with his time here at Tech, he does have some value in some places. HC is not a position any team should let him have again.
Not head coach material for sure. But wonder who would take a chance on him as an assistant position where he could add value? In retrospect I see his previous “successes” as having little to do with what he added and more to do with what he inherited and who he was surrounded by.

But I know that topic has been picked to death.

JacketFan137

Banned
I guess the only question left on here, since we’ve clearly established that Collins was the worst coach all time at Tech, is will anyone take a chance on him in the future?
ask this again in a few years and i’m not really sure how anyone can CLEARLY say that he’s the worst. still too recent and people are still too mad. there is a debate for sure between him and lewis

he will probably climb the ranks and get a shot again. do a “coach rehab” stint as an analyst and climb back up. we have seen plenty of coaches do bad at multiple stops and end up with another job in a few years. at the college and nfl level if you have the right agent you are never finished as a head coach

CEB

Helluva Engineer
ask this again in a few years and i’m not really sure how anyone can CLEARLY say that he’s the worst. still too recent and people are still too mad. there is a debate for sure between him and lewis

he will probably climb the ranks and get a shot again. do a “coach rehab” stint as an analyst and climb back up. we have seen plenty of coaches do bad at multiple stops and end up with another job in a few years. at the college and nfl level if you have the right agent you are never finished as a head coach
Can we all just stipulate "bottom two" and avoid asking the question again? Is there any real comfort in knowing "at least he's not B*** L****?"

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

I think it is hard to argue that he isn't the worst coach in our programs history.
- worst win percentage of a non-interim head coach in our program's history
- worst 3 year stretch in nearly a hundred years
- no improvement during his tenure. (I think most of the fanbase would have given him a longer leash if we showed some improvement)
- Less wins than B*** L**** despite coaching more games
- Worse conference win percentage than B*** L****
- 2 of Lewis' teams had a better record than any one season under Collins.
-Lewis took the graceful way out (arguably) and at least publicly resigned. TFG rode the gravy train as long as he could for the paycheck ( not arguing that he did, I would too in his shoes)
-Lewis won his cupcake games ( Western Carolina, 1992, 37-19, Furman, 1993, 37-3, Western Carolina, 1994, 45-26), Collins lost to the Citadel while beating Kennesaw State a couple of years later
-B*** L**** had an average point margin in his losses of 20.15 pts, TFG 22.32 pts
-On a similar note to the last, lets look at each coach's third year, 1994 GT went 1-10 with a point differential in losses of -163 pts. 2021 GT went 3-9 with a point differential in losses of -169. While the bottom fell out at the end og B*** L**** tenure, he still lost by a less amount on a per game basis than TFG and had a point differential in losses that was less despite having one more loss.

The only argument that TFG is not as bad as Lewis is the situation that each coach inherited. There is some merit to this argument but it is also the coach's decision on how to approach such a situation. Instead of doing a slow transition that would allow us to win more games while roster turnover happened, TFG ripped the band-aid off so that he could use the imagery change as a recruiting tactic but losing by gigantic point margins negatively impacted our program's image. He also coached in a time where the ability to generate roster turnover got progressively easier each year that he coached to the point that it is essentially free agency every year.

The final point comparing each coach's third year also stresses the point that, while TFG inherited a tougher situation, his "stamp" on the program was not making things demonstrably better than B*** L**** final and worst year.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it is hard to argue that he isn't the worst coach in our programs history.
- no improvement during his tenure. (I think most of the fanbase would have given him a longer leash if we showed some improvement)
-Lewis took the graceful way out (arguably) and at least publicly resigned. TFG rode the gravy train as long as he could for the paycheck ( not arguing that he did, I would too in his shoes)
-Lewis won his cupcake games ( Western Carolina, 1992, 37-19, Furman, 1993, 37-3, Western Carolina, 1994, 45-26), Collins lost to the Citadel while beating Kennesaw State a couple of years later
-B*** L**** had an average point margin in his losses of 20.15 pts, TFG 22.32 pts
-On a similar note to the last, lets look at each coach's third year, 1994 GT went 1-10 with a point differential in losses of -163 pts. 2021 GT went 3-9 with a point differential in losses of -169. While the bottom fell out at the end og B*** L**** tenure, he still lost by a less amount on a per game basis than TFG and had a point differential in losses that was less despite having one more loss.

The only argument that TFG is not as bad as Lewis is the situation that each coach inherited. There is some merit to this argument but it is also the coach's decision on how to approach such a situation. Instead of doing a slow transition that would allow us to win more games while roster turnover happened, TFG ripped the band-aid off so that he could use the imagery change as a recruiting tactic but losing by gigantic point margins negatively impacted our program's image. He also coached in a time where the ability to generate roster turnover got progressively easier each year that he coached to the point that it is essentially free agency every year.

The final point comparing each coach's third year also stresses the point that, while TFG inherited a tougher situation, his "stamp" on the program was not making things demonstrably better than B*** L**** final and worst year.
To add on so that folks may not think I am cherry-picking numbers

B*** L**** won by an average of 15.81 pts, TFG by an average of 13.1 pts. This is despite B*** L**** playing only one non-P5 opponent per year while TFG had 2 to 3 on average.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

let's say one of the most disliked coaches at Tech

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It’s comical this thread endures.

Hooray CS fans, everyone concedes and he’s #2 worst all time? Why does that make GT better? Our fired AD saves face? Who cares?

It must make CS fans feel better about all their antics trying to shame other GT fans into turning a blind eye to the nonsense is all I can figure.

It was a horrible period in GT football. Bury it. Digging up the dead gets us nowhere.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s comical this thread endures.

Hooray CS fans, everyone concedes and he’s #2 worst all time? Why does that make GT better? Our fired AD saves face? Who cares?

It must make CS fans feel better about all their antics trying to shame other GT fans into turning a blind eye to the nonsense is all I can figure.

It was a horrible period in GT football. Bury it. Digging up the dead gets us nowhere.
C'mon. Do you really think a post like this is going to stop people from blowing off a little steam? The mods won't lock it because the vitriol would seep into other threads. Better to keep it in one spot.

JacketFan137

Banned

at the same time you can argue it’s easier to acquire talent through the portal it’s also a much greater threat of losing said talent when you are a program like tech that didn’t have the financial backing.

and it’s still pretty hard to ignore how crucial of a time period bill lewis messed up. that could have really put us on the map in college football and he derailed all the momentum.

johnson’s end was the program floundering. 24-25 record the last few seasons coming off 0-4 against clemson and 1-3 against uga. we were the definition of mediocre. going from a 6 win team to 3 isn’t good but going from a natty to a 1 win is a pretty spectacular fall from grace

most people are right tho it doesn’t really matter. if it wasn’t such a slow news period for this sport we’d have something else to talk about lol

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
johnson’s end was the program floundering. 24-25 record the last few seasons coming off 0-4 against clemson and 1-3 against uga. we were the definition of mediocre. going from a 6 win team to 3 isn’t good but going from a natty to a 1 win is a pretty spectacular fall from grace
We won 7 in 2018, not 6, and Geoff followed it up IMMEDIATELY with 3 wins. We won 8 with Ross the year before Lewis took over, and he won 5, 5, then 1. Let's stop acting like Lewis only won 1 game the year after the natty, it was 4 years later with almost none of the same players.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I feel like in order to be in this thread one must choose to defend one of two abysmal failures. yet I keep checking.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
I was at GT for the Bud Carson years immediately after Dodd retired. Bud wore the mantle of "worst coach in history." Of course, at that point, there had been 3 superior predecessors (Heisman, Alexander, Dodd).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I was at GT for the Bud Carson years immediately after Dodd retired. Bud wore the mantle of "worst coach in history." Of course, at that point, there had been 3 superior predecessors (Heisman, Alexander, Dodd).
...and THERE is my biggest fear. I hope the TFG / B*** L**** debate rages for years. God forbid we have a new candidate!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We won 7 in 2018, not 6, and Geoff followed it up IMMEDIATELY with 3 wins. We won 8 with Ross the year before Lewis took over, and he won 5, 5, then 1. Let's stop acting like Lewis only won 1 game the year after the natty, it was 4 years later with almost none of the same players.
Let's not act like that 1994 team was not loaded with NFL talent. The 1990 recruiting class was one of our best ever and pretty close to the 2007 class. I believe Donnie Davis was a high 4 star recruit and the top dual threat QB coming out of HS.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Let's not act like that 1994 team was not loaded with NFL talent. The 1990 recruiting class was one of our best ever and pretty close to the 2007 class. I believe Donnie Davis was a high 4 star recruit and the top dual threat QB coming out of HS.
I don't think I said that anywhere. I don't see where Donnie Davis played in the NFL though either? Do you have a source or a list for recruiting classes/ rankings from that time period? Who was rating players back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.