Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If his contract is like others, he would be required to pursue a position to help offset the buyout. Not that he gets hired, mind you ... only that he consider all potential offers and make a serious effort to pursue.

Paul Finebaum explained how the "coach parking" works. An agent (in this case, Jimmy Sexton) takes one of his failed clients and parks them at a school with a good name/reputation. After 3-4 years, the sting wears off and he can re-sign the coach to a new contract at a more attractive price. While it's not stated that the coach who agrees to manage the parking makes a cut, Finebaum suggested that by saying, "They aren't doing this because they are nice guys." A good example is Butch Jones being parked at Alabama.

Unfortunately, his contract isn't like (most) others. Our contract with CGC included no offset clause for future employment or earnings. So in the unlikely case that someone decides to pay him $1M/yr to work for them, he keeps all of that...and the buyout money that GT continues to pay.

There's no requirement to look for work - anything he does moving forward is 100% of his own accord. (Or his wife, I suppose, if she wants him out of the house.)

Agreed with your other thoughts re: him not returning to coaching.

slugboy

Staff member
Care to make a prediction about how long it will be before he is a coordinator or head coach?
It looks like something strange is going on. He was reportedly on good terms with Matt Rhule and was supposed to take a job at Nebraska, but that didn’t happen.

I wonder if he’s burned out, but he’s touring campuses like he’s looking for a job.
Either he’s burned some bridges, or wants a less stressful job, or there is some other reason that he hasn’t been picked up yet.

My wild-*** guess is that he wants money without accountability. There are plenty of places that would work the **** out of a coach trying to rehab his image. I think he’s looking for a high-paying but cushy job.

Since you asked for a guess, he either takes a coaching job this fall when someone fires a DC, or he’s in an NFL scouting position this fall.

If he doesn’t take a job this year, it will be harder to get back on the horse.

No ESPN gig. He is not loved in broadcasting

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It looks like something strange is going on. He was reportedly on good terms with Matt Rhule and was supposed to take a job at Nebraska, but that didn’t happen.

I wonder if he’s burned out, but he’s touring campuses like he’s looking for a job.
Either he’s burned some bridges, or wants a less stressful job, or there is some other reason that he hasn’t been picked up yet.

My wild-*** guess is that he wants money without accountability. There are plenty of places that would work the **** out of a coach trying to rehab his image. I think he’s looking for a high-paying but cushy job.

Since you asked for a guess, he either takes a coaching job this fall when someone fires a DC, or he’s in an NFL scouting position this fall.

Maybe my standards are too low, but his current gig of sitting on the sofa and collecting $11M worth of mailbox money seems pretty high-paying and cushy to me!!
Heck, its not even really "mailbox money" anymore... he can just check his banking app for the deposit. Aside from a thumb cramp, I'm not seeing much stress or exertion involved.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, his contract isn't like (most) others. Our contract with CGC included no offset clause for future employment or earnings. So in the unlikely case that someone decides to pay him $1M/yr to work for them, he keeps all of that...and the buyout money that GT continues to pay.

There's no requirement to look for work - anything he does moving forward is 100% of his own accord. (Or his wife, I suppose, if she wants him out of the house.)

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that. I know Butch Jones contract required him to keep looking and he did.

Interestingly, I know Geoff sold his house Dumbarton house but … relocated to a nice $4M house in Sandy Springs, ITP. Looks like he’s going to enjoy the money and the good life.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Reasonable speculation. I had not thought about that angle before. He’s probably not hungry to prove himself somewhere difficult (I think he demonstrated while hear that he rates himself pretty highly already) and he’s not hurting for money.

slugboy

Staff member
If I had an $11 million settlement, and my last job was a typical head coaching 100 hours a week job, Mrs Slugboy would beg me to retire

Most head coaches won’t do that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I had an $11 million settlement, and my last job was a typical head coaching 100 hours a week job, Mrs Slugboy would beg me to retire

Most head coaches won’t do that.
Agreed...those guys are type A, goal oriented people. They don't take the cash and lay on the sofa although many of us probably would. I'm pretty sure Brady doesn't need to play QB anymore to put food on his table and I would hope guys like Pastner and Collins had a good money guy. If so, they can go to the house and relax and buy a fishing boat with the twin outboards and the Van Staal reels. Despite their money and (lack of) success, something tells me that Josh and Collins aren't looking to stay home and watch General Hospital reruns on the couch with a bag of Doritos next year. even though they could.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we all just stipulate "bottom two" and avoid asking the question again? Is there any real comfort in knowing "at least he's not B*** L****?"
B** L**** was not a good coach but was much better than him. l***** did go 5-6 one year. There is no way this guy could get past 3 wins. However it is true bl had Shawn Jones qbing. He never recovered from the FSU loss. Worst loss in history of me going to games - heartbreaking.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
B** L**** was not a good coach but was much better than him. l***** did go 5-6 one year. There is no way this guy could get past 3 wins. However it is true bl had Shawn Jones qbing. He never recovered from the FSU loss. Worst loss in history of me going to games - heartbreaking.
he went 5-6 2 years. not just 1. He only had Jones for one year, then Donnie Davis the second year, then had Luginbill has his starter the year he was fired

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Another reason why I'm glad to see Stansbury go. Offset language is pretty standard these days in all coaching contracts. The fact that we didn't put one in Collins's contract is d@mn near a dereliction of duty on the part of an AD. Of course, the board has to OK it, and GT's counsel that reviews contracts (do we even have anyone that actually reviews contracts?!) so Stansbury isn't the only person responsible. GT is just BAD BAD BAD when it comes to business. Has always been the case since I've been a fan.

Hopefully, the Batt and Cabrera regime starts turning that boat towards much better and much more lucrative business decisions.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Another reason why I'm glad to see Stansbury go. Offset language is pretty standard these days in all coaching contracts. The fact that we didn't put one in Collins's contract is d@mn near a dereliction of duty on the part of an AD. Of course, the board has to OK it, and GT's counsel that reviews contracts (do we even have anyone that actually reviews contracts?!) so Stansbury isn't the only person responsible. GT is just BAD BAD BAD when it comes to business. Has always been the case since I've been a fan.

Hopefully, the Batt and Cabrera regime starts turning that boat towards much better and much more lucrative business decisions.

100% agreed. On all counts.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Having contracts that are not incredibly epically dumb would be a HUGE accomplishment. You could get a better contract having 10 random imbeciles on a message board give you advice than what we paid $100k or more for. You could get that for some free hats and t-shirts.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Having contracts that are not incredibly epically dumb would be a HUGE accomplishment. You could get a better contract having 10 random imbeciles on a message board give you advice than what we paid $100k or more for. You could get that for some free hats and t-shirts.
I'm genuinely curious to know if Key's and Stoudamire's recent contracts have offset clauses. I sure hope so. Interestingly, Pastner's last extension had terms favorable to GT with reduced payouts for remaining years as well as an offset clause for future employment. So Stansbury either recognized the mistake and corrected it or perhaps he knew GT was getting screwed by TFG's contract but felt powerless to do anything about it.

tmorgan65

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed...those guys are type A, goal oriented people. They don't take the cash and lay on the sofa although many of us probably would. I'm pretty sure Brady doesn't need to play QB anymore to put food on his table and I would hope guys like Pastner and Collins had a good money guy. If so, they can go to the house and relax and buy a fishing boat with the twin outboards and the Van Staal reels. Despite their money and (lack of) success, something tells me that Josh and Collins aren't looking to stay home and watch General Hospital reruns on the couch with a bag of Doritos next year. even though they could.
I could imagine Geoff buying a van staal reel and returning it because using a reel without a bail requires him to actually work a bit 😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.