Geoff Collins to be on XM ACC 371...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Quick summary:

Started out talking about his breakfast at Waffle House. 4 eggs scrambled with cheese, wheat toast, coffee and a coke to go.

Learned from O'Leary non-stop work ethic. Passion for coaching.

Gave his schedule over the last 9 days and the next two weeks. Players to get a few days with their families after tomorrow's (?) practice, then meet up to go to Detroit. Will meet with families and fans there. Trying to develop relationship with players now.

He's going home to Philly after signing day to spend some time with his family.

Offense: players you have in the game, multiple schematically, turn on the Rams, Chiefs, and Bears. Not I formation. Spread, multiple formations, motion, shifts, RPO, screens, etc. Exciting brand of football coming to the Flats.

His day started at the Waffle House and will likely end at The Varsity. Not sure how long he's going to last here. Better have a good health plan......

Wes and Mark love him. "Touched so many bases with so many people."

I'd also note my conversation with an old Tech fan at church yesterday. Said he had lunch with a bunch of big money alums. One mentioned Collins being like our "Dabo." I've said that to a few people as well. The energy, hitting all the right buttons so far, he's been here, talking education/the school as a positive. We'll see, but this will be unlike anything we've seen here in a long time. While their ages may have been somewhat similar to Collins,, Johnson, Gailey, O'Leary, Lewis, Ross and Curry did not win the press conference like Collins has so far. I guess a combination of Pepper and O'Leary may be the best grouping of what he brings as a character/coach?

If he can recruit and coach, we could be in for something good.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
Started out talking about his breakfast at Waffle House. 4 eggs scrambled with cheese, wheat toast, coffee and a coke to go.

Gave his schedule over the last 9 days and the next two weeks. Players to get a few days with their families after tomorrow's (?) practice, then meet up to go to Detroit. Will meet with families and fans there. Trying to develop relationship with players now.

Offense: players you have in the game, multiple schematically, turn on the Rams, Chiefs, and Bears. Not I formation. Spread, multiple formations, motion, shifts, RPO, screens, etc. Exciting brand of football coming to the Flats.

His day started at the Waffle House and will likely end at The Varsity. Not sure how long he's going to last here. Better have a good health plan......

The more I hear from Coach Collins the more I like him:cigar:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Quick summary:

I'd also note my conversation with an old Tech fan at church yesterday. Said he had lunch with a bunch of big money alums. One mentioned Collins being like our "Dabo." I've said that to a few people as well. The energy, hitting all the right buttons so far, he's been here, talking education/the school as a positive. We'll see, but this will be unlike anything we've seen here in a long time. While their ages may have been somewhat similar to Collins,, Johnson, Gailey, O'Leary, Lewis, Ross and Curry did not win the press conference like Collins has so far. I guess a combination of Pepper and O'Leary may be the best grouping of what he brings as a character/coach?

If he can recruit and coach, we could be in for something good.
I hope he has his Friegen lined up to come in and lead that offense because he’s gonna need an offensive genius. I also hope he fully understands the time and energy commitment the academic side puts on the athletes. The more you try to do sounds great in an interview, but it also creates more opportunities for mistakes when you have a ton to learn and teach and perfect. I don’t want to hear I’m simplifying the offense over and over again. But he’s been here before so he should understand that.

I also hope he has his Joe Hamilton lined up to come in and lead that offense on the field.

Good to know what he had at waffle house though. Although, I’m a raisin toast man myself.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The one thing that impresses me with CGC is he understands he's the figurehead and official spokesperson for GT Football. He's always keeping it positive, looking forward, and talking up the program. CGC understands he has to sell GT football every time someone sticks a mic or camera in front of him. He's not talking about what GT doesn't have, he's always looking to where GT is going. Since he was announced, I have yet to hear him talk about what GT doesn't have, but more what GT HAS and other teams don't (i.e. "Not many schools have a meaningful degree like GT..."). IMO, there's no reason to point out what GT doesn't have versus other schools...you're just helping other schools negatively recruit when you do that. Get the kids on campus, show them the plans for GT football, let them see the opportunity that surrounds them in Atlanta, them feel the energy of the city, give them a vision of being an SA at GT both athletically and academically, help them envision the their dreams and how GT will get them there.

IMO, we focus too much on what GT DOESN"T have that we lose sight that GT has a LOT of great things other schools can't compete with. I think TStan sees that, and that's why he was attracted to CGC's vision for GT football. TStan's message has been similar to CGC's from day one. One of the messages that CGC is slowly trying to convey is that being an SA at GT is a selective accomplishment. Only the elite of the elite will be chosen. I like it...because he's making it sound like what 'Bama and Stanford do: If we tap you, it's only because you're at the top 1% of what we're looking for. That sh!t sells.

Gonna be fun ride, fellas.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Quick summary:

His day started at the Waffle House and will likely end at The Varsity. Not sure how long he's going to last here. Better have a good health plan...…
I hope he has good health insurance

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The one thing that impresses me with CGC is he understands he's the figurehead and official spokesperson for GT Football. He's always keeping it positive, looking forward, and talking up the program. CGC understands he has to sell GT football every time someone sticks a mic or camera in front of him. He's not talking about what GT doesn't have, he's always looking to where GT is going. Since he was announced, I have yet to hear him talk about what GT doesn't have, but more what GT HAS and other teams don't (i.e. "Not many schools have a meaningful degree like GT..."). IMO, there's no reason to point out what GT doesn't have versus other schools...you're just helping other schools negatively recruit when you do that. Get the kids on campus, show them the plans for GT football, let them see the opportunity that surrounds them in Atlanta, them feel the energy of the city, give them a vision of being an SA at GT both athletically and academically, help them envision the their dreams and how GT will get them there.

IMO, we focus too much on what GT DOESN"T have that we lose sight that GT has a LOT of great things other schools can't compete with. I think TStan sees that, and that's why he was attracted to CGC's vision for GT football. TStan's message has been similar to CGC's from day one. One of the messages that CGC is slowly trying to convey is that being an SA at GT is a selective accomplishment. Only the elite of the elite will be chosen. I like it...because he's making it sound like what 'Bama and Stanford do: If we tap you, it's only because you're at the top 1% of what we're looking for. That sh!t sells.

Gonna be fun ride, fellas.
Selling the program to recruits and doners is completely different than understanding and overcoming the challenges presented by Georgia Tech. I appreciate that he doesn’t verbalize the challenges in interviews, but I sure hope he understands they are real and has a plan to attack them.

To better understand my point I offer this analogy, there’s a reason why blind folks don’t run hurdles, it’s awful hard to clear the ones you can’t (or refuse to) see.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
The more I read from posters with inside scoops on CGC I buy into this new era more and more.

His approach and personality is a complete 180 from CPJ. Not knocking PJ, but it’s just weird lol I love it.

Will he be the first coach to bring us a home win against UGA in 20 years? Or however long it’s beeen...

Selling the program to recruits and doners is completely different than understanding and overcoming the challenges presented by Georgia Tech. I appreciate that he doesn’t verbalize the challenges in interviews, but I sure hope he understands they are real and has a plan to attack them.

To better understand my point I offer this analogy, there’s a reason why blind folks don’t run hurdles, it’s awful hard to clear the ones you can’t (or refuse to) see.

Do you mean academic hurdles

I posted this in another topic and very few replied

In the 2019 recruiting class in GA, there were 39 players rated 4* or 5*, CPJ offered 26 of them, that is a .666 ratio--- if you extrapolate over the Top100 Recruits in GA that means that 66 should be academic qualifiers for GT

After all, CPJ wouldn't offer if they couldn't get accepted or couldn't graduate with some effort

If 66 of the Top100 are academic qualifiers for GT according to CPJ's own actions then maybe the academic hurdle is lower than folks make it out to be

I personally know a guy that works for one of those services and he swears that 60 to 70 of the Top100 in Ga could qualify for GT if GT had the right recruiting pitch to attract them

Maybe Coach G is the right guy

I' m optimistic and glad to see GT back in the business of big time CFB

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I hope he has his Friegen lined up to come in and lead that offense because he’s gonna need an offensive genius. I also hope he fully understands the time and energy commitment the academic side puts on the athletes. The more you try to do sounds great in an interview, but it also creates more opportunities for mistakes when you have a ton to learn and teach and perfect. I don’t want to hear I’m simplifying the offense over and over again. But he’s been here before so he should understand that.

I also hope he has his Joe Hamilton lined up to come in and lead that offense on the field.

Good to know what he had at waffle house though. Although, I’m a raisin toast man myself.

Yeah... There is definitely a problem with being able to do a lot of things if you can't do any of them well. I prefer a more basic scheme with some plays added the build off that basic scheme (e.g. slant and go routes occasionally thrown in with a slants RPO as a base play). And situational and matchup stuff added specifically for each opponent.

I love the cheese n eggs, of course raisin toast is default with that. I usually go with the family, so my wife and I split an all star, over easy, bacon, scattered hash browns (really they should use the mold unless ordered scattered), raisin toast, and add an extra waffle to the order. With kids meals and coffee we usually get out not much over $20. Quite a deal.