Geoff Collins GT HC 7 year contract worth $$$??

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Understood however that would be contrary to how the market currently pays coaches. Being 'innovative' with compensation is tricky.
Was just trying to clarify what I assume he meant. I want us to pay our coaches competitively and hire the best coordinators we can.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ also filled the role of OC and had been here 11 years. I've yet to see proof that we have the funds at the moment to pay a HC 3 MM and both coordinators 1 MM a piece and then pay the assistants north of 500k each. I hope it comes, but I don't think its there.

I would lile a contract with a base 1.5MM and an additional 3 MM in incentives ranging from OFEI and DFEI to apr, grad rate, and recruiting rankings, as well as winning coastal, conference, bowl etc

Exactly this. It’s ridiculous to keep giving inflated contracts, which have far exceeded (understatement of the day here) real world rates, with no ties to performance. And then if the guy sucks tied to many millions more. An athletic assoc is just a nameless, faceless governing body. The money don’t come from them my friends.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Was just trying to clarify what I assume he meant. I want us to pay our coaches competitively and hire the best coordinators we can.

This is a critical point too. The HC doesn’t work in vacuum. Or, a parallel: you think maybe Matt Ryan could live on 20M/yr instead of 30/yr so that the team might get him better OL? The disparity between players is ridiculous for supposed ultimate team game.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
What was CGC's contract at Temple? Is GT needing to buy out that contract?

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Every coach has incentives tied into their contract. I am guessing he is saying to just make those incentives higher and base pay lower.
That's exactly what I'm saying. When you're income is mostly tied to donations, incitivizing things likely to increase that revenue is smart business to me.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Satterfield has been given a six year contract with an annual base salary of $3.25 million with an additional $1.225 million in bonuses possible each year. The contract includes a $5 million buyout if Satterfield were to terminate the agreement. Would assume GC it would be somewhere this.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Satterfield has been given a six year contract with an annual base salary of $3.25 million with an additional $1.225 million in bonuses possible each year. The contract includes a $5 million buyout if Satterfield were to terminate the agreement. Would assume GC it would be somewhere this.

Sorry to keep kicking this horse, y’all. But Satterfield seems to me a classic example of compensation overreach. Dude was making 750k or so at App St. *why* give him $3.35-5M?? Sure the guy may be great, but he’s unproven. Make him prove it then pay him. Otherwise it’s much like hiring a new Tech grad and paying 200k just because it’s a graduate—real world doesn’t work that way, but except football..

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to keep kicking this horse, y’all. But Satterfield seems to me a classic example of compensation overreach. Dude was making 750k or so at App St. *why* give him $3.35-5M?? Sure the guy may be great, but he’s unproven. Make him prove it then pay him. Otherwise it’s much like hiring a new Tech grad and paying 200k just because it’s a graduate—real world doesn’t work that way, but except football..
If you think he is unproven, what do you think about our coach? SS has coach five seasons at FBS 47-16. Our guy is 15-10 in two years.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think he is unproven, what do you think about our coach? SS has coach five seasons at FBS 47-16. Our guy is 15-10 in two years.
Definitely unproven. My biggest concern with satterfirld has always been what the expectation for app state should be and where should they perform? I see no teams with a better history than them in the sunbelt, so like Boise state, championships should be the expectation every year. Satterfield met those expectations for the most part. Southern did the transition at the same time and had a 9 win season too year 1, so I don't see the transition as something overly difficult. Dude has re potential to be excellent, I just don't see what he did as spectacular given the expectations app state should have in the sun belt

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I think there’s a huge difference between Southern/Sun Belt and ACC/SEC for one. I also think there’s a difference in taking over a weak program and building it vs taking over status quo of successful area program secondly.

That said, I don’t know what CGC will earn, but it hits me wrong when a person gets a five-fold guaranteed return, and we’re not even talking 5x100k or 400k/yr increase (which most of us here would be thrilled with), but upwards of 2.5-4MM increase ->per year<-, not life of contract. I for one am glad we didn’t take SS at that rate. And hope we aren’t doing this with CGC, either, for that matter.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Good candidates currently in good jobs want guaranteed money. How would I know you were really going to support me so I could make my bonus? Hill support of GT football has a visible public track record and it’s not good. You’d downgrade the quality of candidates available to you if you negotiated like that. That being said I have no idea what CGC’s salary requirements were. They could be lower, the same or higher. It really doesn’t matter anymore because we inked the deal. Unless he pulled an O’Leary, we’re pretty much set for 3-4 years at least.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Definitely unproven. My biggest concern with satterfirld has always been what the expectation for app state should be and where should they perform? I see no teams with a better history than them in the sunbelt, so like Boise state, championships should be the expectation every year. Satterfield met those expectations for the most part. Southern did the transition at the same time and had a 9 win season too year 1, so I don't see the transition as something overly difficult. Dude has re potential to be excellent, I just don't see what he did as spectacular given the expectations app state should have in the sun belt
I agree with you with our guy. Agree with you SS as well, but I think he is worth/earned the risk. Will hurt though if they made the wrong decision.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
CPJ made just over $3M this past season excluding incentives. You'd want to pay your new coach less than that?

See this link from USA Today for Coaches Compensation:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
I'm just a lowly engineer, not a business owner or business/hiring person, but I don't equate what CPJ was making after 22 years in head coaching with a 189-98 record with two NCAA-1AA championships to what CGC should make with 2 years of head coaching experience and an 11-5 overall record. In my opinion, CGC should be looking for an increase in salary over what he had at Temple, and should be looking for an equivalent salary, or better, for what head coaches with his experience or pedigree in the ACC are making. If that is more than CPJ was making, so be it. But I wouldn't pay Nick Saban's replacement, when that time comes, more than Saban just because they're following Saban and should make more money than that. I don't care who they are.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The likely annual compensation for new Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins isn’t much of a surprise. Athletic director Todd Stansbury, asked if it was between $2.5 million and $3 million, told the AJC that “you’ll be in the neighborhood.”

That value would be in the bottom half of the ACC, beneath the $3.1 million salary for Collins’ predecessor, Paul Johnson, earned in 2018. It would be handsome compensation for someone with two years of head-coaching experience, as Collins does.
“So that’s something I talked to (school president G.P. “Bud” Peterson) about early on, was I really felt like we needed to give the new head coach a seven-year contract, knowing that it was going to take a couple of years really to probably transition to whatever systems that they were ultimately going to want to run,” Stansbury said.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
7 years is a long time but it would depend on how much the buyout is in the contract. We know our AD wants the recruits to feel their coach would be here till they are finished playing for Tech. I have no problem with that thinking. But lets hold off on any extensions for at least 5 years and see if it is going as good as we think.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
7 years is a long time but it would depend on how much the buyout is in the contract. We know our AD wants the recruits to feel their coach would be here till they are finished playing for Tech. I have no problem with that thinking. But lets hold off on any extensions for at least 5 years and see if it is going as good as we think.

This is exactly the point--how much of that 7 years is fully guaranteed? The article doesn't say. Not all contracts of equal length have equal guarantees.
The scary part is that the GTAA Board has a history of approving fully guaranteed contracts (UGa's Board did not with Richt). They also have a history of giving raises and extensions after one or two good years, only to see those years followed by mediocrity-- or worse. I agree with no extensions for--at least-- more than 2 years for that reason.

Like Dpjacket, I have never understood why compensation is not tied to performance. It's a business based on competition. If the coach isn't will to accept tying his compensation to competitive results, I don't want him. Heisman did it at Tech. He was a confident and competitive guy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Like Dpjacket, I have never understood why compensation is not tied to performance. It's a business based on competition. If the coach isn't will to accept tying his compensation to competitive results, I don't want him. Heisman did it at Tech. He was a confident and competitive guy.

It is somewhat performance based but more based on past performances rather than current incentives. And it is that way because good coaches are in high demand and they want guaranteed money, and their are programs willing to shell it out.