Geoff Collins GT HC 7 year contract worth $$$??

LibertyTurns

Banned
I am curious about the details of the Collins contract. Is there a copy available? I read that it is a 7 year deal. However, I haven't seen details of the amount of money given.
I’m sure there’s all sorts of contract language in there. If nothing else, GT should have mastered coaching contracts by now. We’ve screwed the pooch every way imaginable.

I hope CGC got a good deal. Nothing speaks commitment like handing over $$.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not think our football program is in bad shape, but we do indeed have to make changes that could take some time to implement. First, the roster was not assembled for an NFL style offense. That is not a change that can take place overnight. Second, if TStan's goal is for us to close the gap (even a little) on Clemson and uga, the fund raising and recruiting upticks will be multi-year efforts. And success on the field will have to be a part of both. The buyout clauses are important elements we do not yet know, but I am happy with a seven year deal.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm ok with this as long as there isn't an insane buyout. Just don't add to it after 1 good year like we did with Pastner. This also killed UNC with Fedora's contract and ND with Charlie Weis. AD's are super quick to give coaches raises or additional years these days and it almost always bites them in the ***.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sure there’s all sorts of contract language in there. If nothing else, GT should have mastered coaching contracts by now. We’ve screwed the pooch every way imaginable.

I hope CGC got a good deal. Nothing speaks commitment like handing over $$.
GT Athletics has zero credibility with coaching contracts. Hopefully TStan can turn that around. And CPJ needs to be thanked for giving us a break.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
His last contract with Temple was worth $10 million so I anticipate that it's north of that number and likely more than double so >$20 million. I really hope TS left enough room in the overall Football staffing budget for Collins to be able to pursue qualified and top tier candidates for OC & DC Coordinator positions. Perhaps they structured Collins deal in such a way that the base is comfortable but that there are healthy financial incentives to reach benchmarks in recruiting, academics, and W's on the field so it encompasses the totality of what they're selling to the GT student athletes.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm really hoping for an incentive heavy contract.

Also if instead of a 5 yr/15 MM contract we offered a 7yr/16 MM to lower our annual cost so that we can hire more/better assistants that's fine. If it was going to be 5/15 and is instead 7/21 I think that would be a very silly thing to do.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm really hoping for an incentive heavy contract.

Also if instead of a 5 yr/15 MM contract we offered a 7yr/16 MM to lower our annual cost so that we can hire more/better assistants that's fine. If it was going to be 5/15 and is instead 7/21 I think that would be a very silly thing to do.

CPJ made just over $3M this past season excluding incentives. You'd want to pay your new coach less than that?

See this link from USA Today for Coaches Compensation:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ made just over $3M this past season excluding incentives. You'd want to pay your new coach less than that?

See this link from USA Today for Coaches Compensation:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

CPJ also filled the role of OC and had been here 11 years. I've yet to see proof that we have the funds at the moment to pay a HC 3 MM and both coordinators 1 MM a piece and then pay the assistants north of 500k each. I hope it comes, but I don't think its there.

I would lile a contract with a base 1.5MM and an additional 3 MM in incentives ranging from OFEI and DFEI to apr, grad rate, and recruiting rankings, as well as winning coastal, conference, bowl etc

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
His last contract with Temple was worth $10 million so I anticipate that it's north of that number and likely more than double so >$20 million. I really hope TS left enough room in the overall Football staffing budget for Collins to be able to pursue qualified and top tier candidates for OC & DC Coordinator positions. Perhaps they structured Collins deal in such a way that the base is comfortable but that there are healthy financial incentives to reach benchmarks in recruiting, academics, and W's on the field so it encompasses the totality of what they're selling to the GT student athletes.
The better barometer is his contract was worth $2 million a year. That gives you a starting point.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Why in the world wouldn't you? What the previous salary was, in any business, is not relevant.

I guess we have a different theory about compensation. I look at what the market rate (among several factors) along with my budget to determine an equitable compensation package. We talk about wanting to consistently win our division and compete for the ACC championship yet 'suggest' we structure a package with base 50% less than the previous coach made. I doubt you find anyone willing to take a package like that, even if it is their 'dream job'.

This isn't a sales job, where most of your salary is based on commissions. There are many variables a College Football Head Coach may not have control over.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I guess we have a different theory about compensation. I look at what the market rate (among several factors) along with my budget to determine an equitable compensation package. We talk about wanting to consistently win our division and compete for the ACC championship yet 'suggest' we structure a package with base 50% less than the previous coach made. I doubt you find anyone willing to take a package like that, even if it is their 'dream job'.

This isn't a sales job, where most of your salary is based on commissions. There are many variables a College Football Head Coach may not have control over.
I do all that in my business, but to replace a Johnson with a Collins at the same or higher salary? As was said about Obama in his first run for president, a man of no accomplishments? And if he won't take it, well, one does what one always does: keeps looking because if GT really is that good a job, there is somebody there. To overpay suggests the job ain't all that grand. And you know what the great thing about sports is? There is a scoreboard, and somebody wins at the end. It is not subjective at all. So pay the winners, but first make them win.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was underpaid, so I don’t think it’s a stretch to see Collins get the same or more. I am more concerned with staff budget. If I’m Collins and I want to win, I ask what my budget is and take a cut to get more if needed. 3 million for a HC + OC and only 3.6 for HC+OC+DC is inrecidebly cheap. We can do better.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I do all that in my business, but to replace a Johnson with a Collins at the same or higher salary? As was said about Obama in his first run for president, a man of no accomplishments? And if he won't take it, well, one does what one always does: keeps looking because if GT really is that good a job, there is somebody there. To overpay suggests the job ain't all that grand. And you know what the great thing about sports is? There is a scoreboard, and somebody wins at the end. It is not subjective at all. So pay the winners, but first make them win.

I believe the compensation package one offers indicates an organization's commitment towards moving forward. Looking at the salaries in the link, where would @HurricaneJacket's suggested base salary rank? This is public information and that can be used against you also.

When I hear others talk about incentive based compensation packages for non sales people, I would if they've actually seen this in practice and musing how they would like to structure that. I'm in sales and would have a hard time imagining how you would structure that type of compensation package for those with operational roles.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I believe the compensation package one offers indicates an organization's commitment towards moving forward. Looking at the salaries in the link, where would @HurricaneJacket's suggested base salary rank? This is public information and that can be used against you also.

When I hear others talk about incentive based compensation packages for non sales people, I would if they've actually seen this in practice and musing how they would like to structure that. I'm in sales and would have a hard time imagining how you would structure that type of compensation package for those with operational roles.
Every coach has incentives tied into their contract. I am guessing he is saying to just make those incentives higher and base pay lower.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Every coach has incentives tied into their contract. I am guessing he is saying to just make those incentives higher and base pay lower.

Understood however that would be contrary to how the market currently pays coaches. Being 'innovative' with compensation is tricky.