Geoff Collins at temple

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins was a GREAT recruiter here

My understanding was that Collins was basically recruiting operations while at Tech, not direct recruiting like most assistant coaches. He was innovative in this role, but I don't believe he was even an assistant coach at the time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And there you have it in a nutshell. If you wanted CPJ gone a month ago but not when we’re 4-4 or hopefully 5-4, something is wrong. My gut is the people who legitimately want him gone haven’t budged. And in fact they probably don’t want us to 7-5, as that will be enough for him to stay around. I have seen many fans in my life like that, like with Chicago and Lovie Smith. They kept hoping their team would go 2-14 so they would fire him.

Personally, for me, I'm first and foremost a GT fan. GT will always come first in my rooting priorities.

I root for our players because they chose us to play for, and they are the ones that sacrifice their bodies and time for GT.

Coaches come and go. They are modern day mercenaries that get paid VERY well to do a job. Let's not romanticize coaching...Heisman, as legendary as he is for GT, only came to GT because we paid better and he got a cut of the attendance proceeds. As CPJ showed last offseason, there are no loyalties if a better opportunity arises.

I root for CPJ to do well because, obviously, GT's success is tied to CPJ's success. Anyone who roots for CPJ to fail while he's still coaching here is NOT a GT fan.

However, do I believe CPJ is the best solution for GT the next 5-10 years? I do not. I think the way college football, and football overall is trending, CPJ's insistence on going out with his system is a liability for GT in the long run. I also thinking holding on to CPJ will be a detriment to the capital drive that Stansbury has put together. Let's face it, CPJ is probably close to the end of his coaching career, whether it's on the field returns or the age factor. I DO NOT want a situation like Bobby Bowden, or Frank Beamer where the program is hurt in the process of figuring out "the right thing" to do while on field performance is declining. As I said in another thread, giving CPJ more money ultimately only puts a new paint job on an old car.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
What short list? You mean one created by CPJ-haters?

I don't believe there are any Paul Johnson haters. But as of today he is exactly .500 vs FBS opponents since the beginning of the 2010 season. Some people think that's OK. Others think we can do better.

If we win 2 of the next 3 ACC games we will be 4-4 in the conference, while playing in the weakest division of P5 (source:Sagarin ratings). For some that's OK--we will be in a bowl game. Others think we can do better.

Some people believe Dave Braine's view of what's possible at Tech. Others believe Kim King's view of what's possible at Tech.

You are a Dave Braine disciple. I am a Kim King disciple. That's the difference.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
My understanding was that Collins was basically recruiting operations while at Tech, not direct recruiting like most assistant coaches. He was innovative in this role, but I don't believe he was even an assistant coach at the time.

True. Gailey promised him a position coaching job, then didn't give it to him.
He is a great recruiter. Originally from Conyers I believe. His cousin is a Tech grad.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Geoff Collins is one of the few coaches I would be ok with if we end up letting Paul go at the end of the year. He's been a successful coordinator in the SEC, he knows the reality of recruiting to GT, and he's shown success as a HC of a FBS school. His resume passes the sniff test and I think worst case scenario he's a 7-5 type guy that gets us back into bowls every year and overhauls the roster for the guy after him. Unfortunately I kind of feel a bigger program might snatch him up first.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Names I have heard from$$ Alums (Have know clue where Ad TStan stands on this)
1. Geoff Collins
2. George Goodsey
3. Brent Key

Only names I have heard them talk about.....

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t know anything about this “clown” at MissSt or at bama, or how it relates to”hating” CPJ.

But would love to do whatever it takes to see GT win more - CPJ or no CPJ, Collins or no Collins.

Whatever it takes.
Sorry I am not a “ whatever it takes” kind of guy. Been involved with a couple of business guys like that and had to run as fast as I could to get away from the **** those kinds of people leave behind. GT is better than that

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

This is correct. He was cool guy, but for some to say he was instrumental for the 07 class is not true. He literally made the recruiting list for games and made sure we were able to secure the GA Dome/Flowery Branch on rainy days. That’s all i remember

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
He was the recruiting director

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins was a Graduate Assistant at Georgia Tech in 1999-2001.

I don’t understand all the hullabaloo here in this forum about this guy. GT was simply a beginning stepping stone for his coaching career.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Collins also served a brief one-year stint as Director of Player Personnel at GT in 2006. (This is an addition to my original post, and I neglected to include it.)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Names I have heard from$$ Alums (Have know clue where Ad TStan stands on this)
1. Geoff Collins
2. George Goodsey
3. Brent Key

Only names I have heard them talk about.....
thumbs_down.jpg