Genuine Questions!

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
That's funny...because blaming other people is a common trait among the new elite entitled breed as well. I agree with a little of what you say but as someone in charge of hiring today's sensitive little sweeties on a regular basis i can tell you there's a huge difference!!! I blame a lot of this as well on all the single parents who were a product of the let's get divorced and not try era too! But nowhere did we say your owed anything for simply showing up.....nowhere did we say it's not okay to work hard and there is no doubt this is the softest most feeling sensitive group yet. I have to hire 15 people to find one who's feelings aren't on their sleeve and who,are willing to crawl before they walk in life. So while im not saying we don't have any blame in your Bieber generation...I'm also not seeing you do anything too change it. You'll twist this ...and script it to suit you however fits you best but in the end it's all the same result...soft as charmin! Have a great day and go Tech!!

The irony is rich with this one. You are whining an awful lot about the problem and seem very sensitive about it. I think some
And boomer parents were killing and dying on Iwo Jima (my papa) and Normandy. You don't think they laughed at your free love hippy generation? Are you kidding? It's almost comical at this point.

The guy you replied to literally spent his post whining about his feelings, the same thing he thinks the latest generation is too "in touch with"...the greatest irony is his response was to someone who was providing non-antecodtal points and he responds with his feewings.

Thanks for pointing out that irony. I thought about pointing it out myself and using data, but it's been my experience that Boomers respond dismissively and with platitudes when given the chance to think critically. Boomers love to talk work ethic but every workplace I've been in with Boomers involves them putting in tons of unproductive face time for the sake of appearances rather than being productive.

I am thankful I was raised by the Greatest Generation.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
It's been my observation, both anecdotally and data-wise, that Boomers are the most entitled generation in America. When Boomers reached the age of 30, over 75% of them made more than their parents had at the same age. And their parents cheered them on and were supportive! They were HAPPY that the next generation was doing better. In law firms, for instance, the average Great Generation senior partner only made 7 times what a Boomer associate made.

Boomers responded by sucking the Greatest Generation as dry as they could and then stuffing them to die alone in nursing homes. The GG was the first generation to have more members die outside the home than in in US history.

Boomers then, like some predatory beast, turned on their own children once their parents couldn't be blamed for anything anymore. They maxed out their benefits and put it on a credit card, meaning some $40 trillion in federal, local, and state debts will have to be solved by their kids. Then they, driven by the same greed that caused them to literally drive their parents into early, lonely graves, created a sham economy that collapsed as their kids were entering the workplace.

The net result is that less than one half of Millenials at age 30 will make more than their parents did at that age, and the Boomers, with sickening degrees of Schadenfreude, won't go away. They harp and whine and refuse to retire. To connect back to my earlier reference point, the average Boomer senior partner in a big firm makes 40x what an associate makes.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My gawd, reading the stuff on this thread makes me wonder how in the world anybody is going to agree on anything. All the boomer, x-ers, millennials throwing blame around but I don't see anyone taking responsibility for their own actions. Stop blaming each other. Start talking to each other. Listen and learn from each other.

I grant you that I don't understand how someone can walk away from a free education at Georgia Tech but we all know that GT is not for everyone. Students transfer every year, whether they are regular students or student/athletes. Are we upset more about the student leaving our great institute OR are we upset because a good athlete is leaving our football team? The sun comes up, the sun goes down, the world keeps spinning. LIFE GOES ON!

Let's enjoy the Army/Navy game today & cheer on CPJ's coaching tree!!!!!!!!!!!!

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
My concern for (some) players transferring is that they are so short-term focused. There are lots of transfer decisions that make sense (family reasons and academic reasons come to mind, but aren't the only good reasons), and I have no gripes (still sad to see good SAs go, but I get it). What frustrates me is when I see an SA transfer for (what appears to be) a short-sighted reason, especially when they walk away from a fantastic GT degree for another degree that, later in life, they'll see probably wasn't as good of a degree. While I completely agree that they have the right to make their own decisions, and I support themin that independence, I still hate for them to regret that decision which I bet they will, later in life.

Where I think the difference comes with coaches is that almost every coach "transferring" out is making a long-term decision. Furthering his career, making a better life for his family, etc. That I get, and it feels like the coach in that situation is going to be less likely to have regrets.

So, for me, it's a desire for SAs personal/long-term professional success that drives my concern. I won't criticize any particular SA's decision publicly as we're only guessing at their reasoning (though our info is probably pretty good). I just hope these young men will get to live another 60+ years, and, knowing how good a GT degree has been for me, I hate it that some of them are walking away from that.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
When kids commit to a factory school, we ask why they would go somewhere where they will be buried on the depth chart. When a player hasn't contributed by their second year in the program, some of us write them off as a wasted scholarship. When a player transfers because they haven't made it on the field in two years and they are buried on the depth chart, we act astonished that they aren't willing to stick it out.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Lots of fun opinions in this thread. I do find it surprising that anyone would think that those who grew up in the great depression were not the greatest generation of all. Also, how can the latest generation be the greatest when they have yet to have the time to prove themselves. A generation proves or disproves itself over time via its accumulated actions. To label the current generation the greatest is naive beyond compare.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Players are quitting on their team mates and their commitment to play football at Georgia Tech. As for the coaches they have a work contract and know the consequences of fulfilling or not fulfilling their obligations. Continued employment, getting terminated and other items are clearly delineated in their contract. They too occasionally quit but it is a different situation. If you have ever played sports and been part of a team as a player, it is entirely unique and transcends just drawing a pay check. You play for your teammates more than you play for yourself. At least that was my experience playing on really good teams.
I think this is true of most youth sports situations, even up to high school. But let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that big time college sports is like this at all. It is, in fact, a multi-billion dollar business based on an exchange of equivalents (well … sorta) not found at other levels. And, like for the regular students at post-secondary institutions, it is preparation for a career and seen as such.

Team solidarity is a great thing and, of course, coaches, just like the execs at most businesses, want people to buy into it; it makes for personnel stability and helps keep the main players. It also helps teams to win, an important consideration. However, anybody who won't look dispassionately at their position and decide for themselves whether they are benefiting from it or not isn't being rational. And, given their short playing lives, college athletes have to do just that. Some will stay because they think they can work themselves onto the field as other players circulate off or because they value the education they are getting or because they've been snowed by their coaches. Some will be chased off, a la Bammer. Others will decide that they can have a better chance for a future elsewhere. I sure don't blame any player for that any more then I would blame any employee for leaving for a better job. That's the way the country works.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Players are quitting on their team mates and their commitment to play football at Georgia Tech. As for the coaches they have a work contract and know the consequences of fulfilling or not fulfilling their obligations. Continued employment, getting terminated and other items are clearly delineated in their contract. They too occasionally quit but it is a different situation. If you have ever played sports and been part of a team as a player, it is entirely unique and transcends just drawing a pay check. You play for your teammates more than you play for yourself. At least that was my experience playing on really good teams.

Go Jackets!
We are going to disagree on your premise. When the kid "quits" his school -- and for pete's sake, transferring is what half our college students do before they ever get a degree , me included -- he doesn't quit on his contract at all. In fact he adheres to it by a) sitting out a year as the "contract" requires" or b) dropping down a class in competition. AS coach walks away with a penalty payment and thus fulfills his deal, even though he doesn't pay a nickel because the next school ponies up ... costs him nothing. (See new Tech AD, who by your logic "quit" on his contract and walked. Except Tech paid off. Good lord as someone noted it is not a blood oath nor sworn on whatever religion book one chooses. As far as playing for a team, yes I have. Marshall did. And I have watched that glorious Georgia game a couple of times since and somebody needs to explain to me how his running in that game "quit on his team." No such thing. Perpetual indenture is not part of the deal.

Animal02

Banned
And boomer parents were killing and dying on Iwo Jima (my papa) and Normandy. You don't think they laughed at your free love hippy generation? Are you kidding? It's almost comical at this point.

The guy you replied to literally spent his post whining about his feelings, the same thing he thinks the latest generation is too "in touch with"...the greatest irony is his response was to someone who was providing non-antecodtal points and he responds with his feewings.
My dad spend the war in New Guinea and a few other islands as well. Yes his response was one big whine. My reply.....cut short as I was boarding a plane was because I have seen the pampered lifestyle the millenials. When I attended Tech.....it was all about escaping with your degree. I knew people that lived in their cars and showered at SAC in order to graduate.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Uh that wasn't the boomer generation. The baby boomers were the children of those storming Normandy and Iwo Jima.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I completely understand kids transferring who are not getting playing time. How much fun can it be to be a tackling dummy in practice and an obstruction on the sideline during games? No complaints from me if a kid who's not as good as our starters wants to try somewhere else, somewhere where he might be better than the starters. That's just the good ol' American spirit, IMHO.

What is upsetting, though, is when your starting QB (three years ago) and your leading rusher (this year) decide to transfer. Then it seems like there's a problem inside the locker room or with the coaches or what-have-you. Much more worrying.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The point CPJ was making about kids not waiting their turn to play is something that has accelerated today with the world of social media and "Stars Recruiting" that has folks who have no clue about football telling players they CAN'T get to the NFL by going to play at GT. Putting aside the fact very few kids go on to play in the NFL, I can't think of a player who transferred from Georgia Tech doing much of anything at another FBS program.

Now before anyone starts to sing the praises of Vad Lee, he went to a lower level FCS school and had a nice career. But Not another FBS school or the NFL.

Kids come to the Flats to earn a degree that will set them up for the rest of their lives. Why toss that away for some early PT at a lesser school?

I'm seeing more and more examples of kids choosing to "Cut and Run" once they aren't named the starter before the ink dries on their letter of intent. Bama just had their prized 5 Stars QB recruit from California quit and transfer because he saw the other freshman QB and knew he would always be second fiddle. The QB who started the season as the starting QB for Bama's season opening opponent USC, also left after losing his starting job. That one is a real head scratcher since he is a redshirt junior and graduating in a few months.

Give me a kid like Tevin Washington who made himself into a starter through sheer hard work. I'll take a few more Sean Bedfords who walked on and became an ALL ACC Center for two years. Those are the type of players who are the backbone of a program.

As for the transfers: See Ya!

JwsavhGT nailed it, hit the drop the mic quote. People do not take personal responsibility and accountability. That is a generational thing that is a Personal thing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What is upsetting, though, is when your starting QB (three years ago) and your leading rusher (this year) decide to transfer. Then it seems like there's a problem inside the locker room or with the coaches or what-have-you. Much more worrying.

I think those statements are a little out of context. If it were that simple I'd probably agree with you.

Marcus was only the leading rusher by 20 yards, so I think it's fair to say he's only the leading rusher because the starter was suspended for three games.

Vad transferred because he didn't want to get hit. Was probably going to get passed up by JT anyhow.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
It is funny seeing a youngster complaining about the boomers. We thought nothing of living in dorms with a communal bathroom down the hall, no AC....hell I even lived under a stairs for a year. These days....they demand private rooms, pro ate baths, participation trophies etc.
Wait - What?
There are no communal baths in Smith Dorm like there were in '73!!???

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the reality, transferring out mostly makes sense if you're a grad transfer with degree in hand; or if you're willing to lose a year and go to another P5 or simply about to flunk out. If you are simply leaving for Playing time with aspirations of the NFL you are getting terrible advice. Essentially to go D2, D3 or Juco, you are simply leaving behind in most cases, - better education, better coaches , better competition to push you, and better players ahead of you on the depth chart to push you. Dropping down a level to start every game against the JV won't get the NFLs attention anymore than being a senior at a P5 pro day if you are actually talented!