Genuine Questions!

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys I have a few questions that I really would like to put out there for intelligent responses.

Why is it that when a player transfers he is seen as being entitled, immature, wasn't raised properly by parents, impatient etc.... and it is not simply seen as another opportunity that may work out for him (D2, D3, Juco). Next question...Why don't we respond to coaches who transfer or apply for another position in the same manner?

Don't get me wrong high school coaches, parents, and recruiters contribute to some the kids behavior but for most of them, the just want to play.

If it's clear that coaches do not see a kid as having the ability to contribute, what would be the right way to transfer without any backlash?

Just a thought...... Thanks GT FAM

Last edited:

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys this a question that I really would like to put out there for intellegent reponses.

Why is it that when a player transfers he is seen as being entitled, immature, wasn't raised properly by parents, impatient etc.... and it is not simply seen as another opportunity that may work out for him (D2, D3, Juco). Next question...Why don't we respond to coaches who transfer or apply for another position in the same manner?

Don't get me wrong high school coaches, parents, and recruiters contribute to some the kids behavior but for most of them, the just want to play.

If it's clear that coaches do not see a kid as having the ability to contribute, what would be the right way to transfer without any backlash?

my .02.

Coaches and players are night and day.
The coaches have proven themselves and want to move up, just like any other job.
The players that leave bc of playing time should work harder and beat out the guy in front of them.
I was taught you don't quit on your teammates.
If you quit on your team then you will quit on your job, on your marriage, on anything that gets hard.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the answer is simple: we're Tech football fans and we hate to see talented players transfer.

But … my guess is that dang near everyone on this board would move to a better job if the opportunity presented itself and most of us are probably looking, at least part time. I know that's the case with me; I had a position teaching for a long time, but I didn't hesitate to look around when positions opened that I thought might improve my life/opportunities. Those opportunities never materialized and I got all kinds of "thanks for sticking around awards", but, given the right circumstances, I'd have moved on.

I look on players transferring as the same kind of thing. I really don't see why people get so bent out of shape about this. It's regrettable when a really good player who was maturing into his position (MM) decides to move on, but that's the way it goes. It is his choice. Good luck to him.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys I have a few questions that I really would like to put out there for intelligent responses.

Because more than half of the board belongs to the Boomer generation. Boomers came of age in the wealthiest civilization known to the human race, when the dollar was strong and, at the same time, the CPI made goods cheaper in absolute terms.

Education was, adjusted for inflation, essentially free.

They promptly ruined the economy, tanked the public fisc, destroyed the Pax Americana, and then, completely devoid of introspection, proceeded to blame this all on a generation that faced the greatest economic (Boomer made) disaster since the Great Depression as soon as they entered the job market.

But that's nothing new. Older generations always blame the youth. In the Clouds, Socrates is depicted as blaming the youth of his day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I don't think everybody reacts the way you describe, @Leonard Larramore. In fact, I think it's a small minority that lumps every decision to transfer in the same hopper.

I think to some extent that the same thing can be said about a coach's decision to leave. What CPJ says about transfers also applies to coaches: they all have their reasons.

That being said, I bet if Saban decided to quit Bama and take a job as a HC for an FCS team, then you'd have a lot of Bama fans complaining about him for making a poor decision.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Ideally, a kid coming out of high school is looking to get an education... The way college tuitions are these days, plus the difficulties in paying off school debts, it's an excellent opportunity afforded to hundreds of kids every year which they wouldn't otherwise have. The reality is, there are many in CFb who are dreaming more about making it in the NFL, and college football is the next step in getting there. If a talented kid is getting benched and he thinks he has the goods to make it at the next level, then he may feel compelled to switch schools where he has better opportunities to showcase his talent. Then there are others who are competitive and simply enjoy playing the game; John Dewberry wasn't getting any playing time at UGA and told Coach Curry if he started at Tech, he'd win ball games for him!

As far as coaches go, it's probably a reflection on where society is today. Look at how the work force has changed over the last couple generations... My dad was able to make a 30-year career with the same company. Although his industry was very competitive and he had to survive a couple waves of massive layoffs, many people from his era had the luxury of spending their career with one company. The way later generations viewed work changed drastically... Boomers wanted more upward mobility, and people in my age bracket wanted to balance work with family and quality of life. At the same time, the economy became more competitive and large firms began stressing the bottom line above everything else. Employee loyalty and company loyalty steadily evaporated.

Against this backdrop, you can begin to see how coaching changed as well. No more do we see the Bobby Dodds, Vince Dooleys, Bo Schembechlers, Bear Bryants, etc. who spent decades on the sidelines with a single team. No more do you see assistant coaches coaching 10 or 15 years at the same school, content to remain in the shadow of their head coach or wait their turn to take the helm. Changing schools became a way of upward-mobility. Also, in the competitive area of today's college football, where fans and alumni are increasingly impatient for success, high rankings, and divisional championships, coaches are on the hot seat much more than in years past. He may only get three seasons to get things in order, or else he's out. Loyalty between coaches and teams seems to be a thing of the past.

I grew up a fan of Georgia Tech during the Pepper Rodgers years; I'd dreamed of one day playing at Tech for Pepper for many years. He was fired the year before I entered high school, but the desire to don the gold helmet and play football at the Flats was still there and never really died. In the end, I was too small (underweight and small-boned) to play at that level, but if it were at all possible, I would have jumped at the chance to walk on and at least be on the practice squad.... hoping to get some playing time here and there. I don't know how much that mentality exists much anymore. But imagine wanting to play for a particular school and getting a free education on top of that... how could you bite the hand that gave you that opportunity by transferring? (As it's often been said, if a young player has the goods to make it in the pros, the NFL will very often find that person).

Brettb98

Georgia Tech Fan
Because more than half of the board belongs to the Boomer generation. Boomers came of age in the wealthiest civilization known to the human race, when the dollar was strong and, at the same time, the CPI made goods cheaper in absolute terms.

Education was, adjusted for inflation, essentially free.

They promptly ruined the economy, tanked the public fisc, destroyed the Pax Americana, and then, completely devoid of introspection, proceeded to blame this all on a generation that faced the greatest economic (Boomer made) disaster since the Great Depression as soon as they entered the job market.

But that's nothing new. Older generations always blame the youth. In the Clouds, Socrates is depicted as blaming the youth of his day.
That's funny...because blaming other people is a common trait among the new elite entitled breed as well. I agree with a little of what you say but as someone in charge of hiring today's sensitive little sweeties on a regular basis i can tell you there's a huge difference!!! I blame a lot of this as well on all the single parents who were a product of the let's get divorced and not try era too! But nowhere did we say your owed anything for simply showing up.....nowhere did we say it's not okay to work hard and there is no doubt this is the softest most feeling sensitive group yet. I have to hire 15 people to find one who's feelings aren't on their sleeve and who,are willing to crawl before they walk in life. So while im not saying we don't have any blame in your Bieber generation...I'm also not seeing you do anything too change it. You'll twist this ...and script it to suit you however fits you best but in the end it's all the same result...soft as charmin! Have a great day and go Tech!!

Animal02

Banned
That's funny...because blaming other people is a common trait among the new elite entitled breed as well. I agree with a little of what you say but as someone in charge of hiring today's sensitive little sweeties on a regular basis i can tell you there's a huge difference!!! I blame a lot of this as well on all the single parents who were a product of the let's get divorced and not try era too! But nowhere did we say your owed anything for simply showing up.....nowhere did we say it's not okay to work hard and there is no doubt this is the softest most feeling sensitive group yet. I have to hire 15 people to find one who's feelings aren't on their sleeve and who,are willing to crawl before they walk in life. So while im not saying we don't have any blame in your Bieber generation...I'm also not seeing you do anything too change it. You'll twist this ...and script it to suit you however fits you best but in the end it's all the same result...soft as charmin! Have a great day and go Tech!!
It is funny seeing a youngster complaining about the boomers. We thought nothing of living in dorms with a communal bathroom down the hall, no AC....hell I even lived under a stairs for a year. These days....they demand private rooms, pro ate baths, participation trophies etc.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Or what is wrong with a coach burrying a kid in the depth chart if he doesnt have the ability and supporting the player or suggesting he may have better chances at other schools if the player is unhappy?

We do it all the time. Its how we turn over

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

In general, I think it's a small group that reacts negatively to players leaving. However, to answer your question:

When looking at comparable situations, I think you get a comparable response. For example, graduate transfers and kids leaving for the NFL or jobs (Fromayon) are generally accepted positively. Similarly, when a coach leaves for more money, or a better opportunity, people seem to be more understanding.

Conversely, when a kid leaves after not giving the program a chance, negative responses are the norm. This is true with coaches as well, Lane Kiffin and Tennessee come to mind.

You're going to have opposing reactions from fans of the program the kid is transferring from and fans of the program the kid is transferring to. On this site, you'll find anecdotal evidence of fans being more accepting of coaches leaving because we've had stability at the HC position for almost a decade. You'll also find diametric opinions on players. Example, JJ Green is much loved here, while kids that transfer are not. However, go and look at the transferee school's message board, I'm sure they'll be lauding MM and Phillpott.

Most importantly though, and to your point, a kid's family should not be brought up on a message board. Unfortunately, people take it personally when players leave and lash out with any insult they can.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
my .02.

Coaches and players are night and day.
The coaches have proven themselves and want to move up, just like any other job.
The players that leave bc of playing time should work harder and beat out the guy in front of them.
I was taught you don't quit on your teammates.
If you quit on your team then you will quit on your job, on your marriage, on anything that gets hard.
So coaches can "quit" on their teams, but because they are "different" it is hunky dory? And where on God's green earth did you come up with something so judgmental as being an utter failure at everything in the future if you transfer in college? ? Lighten up. Take a deep breath. It seems you would add your own 11th Commandment: thou shalt not transfer, for such transgression is much worse than the first 10.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Well, if you think this reaction to transfers is so bad I would suggest you read the Junction Boys. It is the story of Bear Bryant's first team at Texas A &M. It was a veritable blood bath to say the least. Most of the team wound up quitting under the "tender care" of the Bear. I don't blame transfers it happens. What I want to see is care given to the scholarships that do open. DEFENSE, DEFENSE, AND MORE DEFENSE. I don't care if we bust the recruiting budget but we must recruit linemen nationally. Should we be aghast at the transfers that are occurring? Nope, no offense to the wide receivers, and outside linebackers that have chosen to move on but we have bigger fish to fry. I want those scholarships to go to defensive tackles. They are out there, go get them.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
So coaches can "quit" on their teams, but because they are "different" it is hunky dory? And where on God's green earth did you come up with something so judgmental as being an utter failure at everything in the future if you transfer in college? ? Lighten up. Take a deep breath. It seems you would add your own 11th Commandment: thou shalt not transfer, for such transgression is much worse than the first 10.
As a skeptic you should know, cold world, bruh.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Old school but true. There is an exception to every rule but few. My old man grew up during the depression and all he got for christmas was a friggin Orange and a piece of hard candy. He always told me he was damn glad to get it. He also told me not to count on any body but myself but if I went to work for a man, I best give him an honest day work and be loyal to him. The only thing I'm entitled to is what I earn.

Go Jackets!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
It is funny seeing a youngster complaining about the boomers. We thought nothing of living in dorms with a communal bathroom down the hall, no AC....hell I even lived under a stairs for a year. These days....they demand private rooms, pro ate baths, participation trophies etc.

And boomer parents were killing and dying on Iwo Jima (my papa) and Normandy. You don't think they laughed at your free love hippy generation? Are you kidding? It's almost comical at this point.

The guy you replied to literally spent his post whining about his feelings, the same thing he thinks the latest generation is too "in touch with"...the greatest irony is his response was to someone who was providing non-antecodtal points and he responds with his feewings.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Players are quitting on their team mates and their commitment to play football at Georgia Tech. As for the coaches they have a work contract and know the consequences of fulfilling or not fulfilling their obligations. Continued employment, getting terminated and other items are clearly delineated in their contract. They too occasionally quit but it is a different situation. If you have ever played sports and been part of a team as a player, it is entirely unique and transcends just drawing a pay check. You play for your teammates more than you play for yourself. At least that was my experience playing on really good teams.

Go Jackets!