General News about Key and his Staff

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Since it is behind a paywall….
I just started reading the android version on a cell phone with their(AJC)app. last week vs. using the iPad Pro that I’m typing this reply on, which gets paywalled unless someone here posts a different link to get access on.

The main crux of the article is that CBK saved a couple thousand dollars on doing demolition of his office with Coach Weinke and Staffer, Josh Thompson(he has 43 staff members now at his disposal, which was also mentioned). Plus, this showed recruits he was interested in getting change started, along with creating an interesting story while getting anxiety relieved through the physical work. He has daily note taking to prepare the agenda for those staffing meetings and a recap of the day. He learned these routines from CGOL & Nick Saban. Coach Brent bought a notebook at Target in 2009(his fourth year of coaching) to become prepared for his journey as a future HC. Trying to get the staff to split up the same work with those mixed personalities was his mission after the hirings took place. Job descriptions were important to make people accountable for the building of what is to be recruiting related and what is to be coaching-directed. I’m summing up the article, which is not meant for total inclusivity. For instance at home time with wife Danielle and how he goes to sleep after The Tonight Show monologue.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Ice Cream flavor, and a Ferris Wheel installed, CBK joked.

Recruiting is a priority with the staff. Great men that he hired, as people were of great importance. Good fits, with different backgrounds conducive to what GT needs as coaches.

Energy. Rejuvenation. Taking notes. Immediate things to fix in the program. Toughness for Spring Practice. Mental toughness leads to the physical. Challenges to the players, and the coaches. Starting when the players hit the weight room. Work every day. To be a student at Tech, makes for a certain toughness.

Taking over during the season was “cool” when the Team believed in CBK as he took over from the chanting in the locker room to the 4-4 record. Not that we are satisfied with .500 records.

Wants the coaches to ensure that the locker room becomes galvanized over the next several months. Tough, physical play is how we want the players to be.

Thanks his mom, for everything she did for him in sacrificing. HS Coach and then CGOL were his major influences in football.

Again, not verbatim. Just a summary of the 11 minute interview.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Ice Cream flavor, and a Ferris Wheel installed, CBK joked.

Recruiting is a priority with the staff. Great men that he hired, as people were of great importance. Good fits, with different backgrounds conducive to what GT needs as coaches.

Energy. Rejuvenation. Taking notes. Immediate things to fix in the program. Toughness for Spring Practice. Mental toughness leads to the physical. Challenges to the players, and the coaches. Starting when the players hit the weight room. Work every day. To be a student at Tech, makes for a certain toughness.

Taking over during the season was “cool” when the Team believed in CBK as he took over from the chanting in the locker room to the 4-4 record. Not that we are satisfied with .500 records.

Wants the coaches to ensure that the locker room becomes galvanized over the next several months. Tough, physical play is how we want the players to be.

Thanks his mom, for everything she did for him in sacrificing. HS Coach and then CGOL were his major influences in football.

Again, not verbatim. Just a summary of the 11 minute interview.
I mean.. Dude is icy at the opening clip. Also I am sure CAA Sports loved that rep on his QuarterZip. CBK is more media savvy than some people give the man credit for.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Mods., you might want to consider going in and changing the header of this thread to “CBK‘s Staff; Articles/Info. on CBK?” Would allow merging of different threads started on basically the same HC/Topic(Fonts can find in one place). Thanks!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mods., you might want to consider going in and changing the header of this thread to “CBK‘s Staff; Articles/Info. on CBK?” Would allow merging of different threads started on basically the same HC/Topic(Fonts can find in one place). Thanks!

Pretty d@mning quote in there about CGC's oft repeated #404 mantra and recruiting (or lack thereof), and the narrative being pushed that CPJ didn't care about recruiting. Looks like it was the opposite of what was being thrown about. It's always interesting to hear about coaching staffs from 3rd parties who have no skin in the game.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Pretty d@mning quote in there about CGC's oft repeated #404 mantra and recruiting (or lack thereof), and the narrative being pushed that CPJ didn't care about recruiting. Looks like it was the opposite of what was being thrown about. It's always interesting to hear about coaching staffs from 3rd parties who have no skin in the game.
Speaks volumes that he was too busy cooking hashbrowns for 3 years that he couldn't visit a school 10 miles away.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Speaks volumes that he was too busy cooking hashbrowns for 3 years that he couldn't visit a school 10 miles away.

I don't put too much stock into these kinds of articles. HS coaches do have skin in the game, and they will always do their best to paint a new HC in a good light in hopes that it keeps them coming to their programs so they can get more kids into P5 football, which draws more talent into their programs for them to work with. Articles just like this trashed CPJ after he retired and talked about how much CGC was improving relations. Now they are trashing CGC and praising CBK. When CBK leaves there will be an article similar to this painting the new staffs efforts as an improvement over the last staff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't put too much stock into these kinds of articles. HS coaches do have skin in the game, and they will always do their best to paint a new HC in a good light in hopes that it keeps them coming to their programs so they can get more kids into P5 football, which draws more talent into their programs for them to work with. Articles just like this trashed CPJ after he retired and talked about how much CGC was improving relations. Now they are trashing CGC and praising CBK. When CBK leaves there will be an article similar to this painting the new staffs efforts as an improvement over the last staff.

I have a friend that's a coordinator for a high level GA HS program. We've signed several players from that program under both CPJ and Collins. I can tell you that it's true some HS coaches revel in the fact they can get factory programs to come calling on them every year due to the amount of talent that flows through their school. HS coaches 100% have an ego about recruiting and which schools recruit their program. Some of the stories I've heard are wild.

I can also tell you a coach won't trash a college staff in the media because coaches from that staff he's trashing may end up coaching for another school...so there's really nothing to gain by it. Collins may one day be working for another school. Let's be honest, GT isn't that big of a deal in recruiting, so it serves no purpose for a coach to talk poorly about us.

The point of the quote, for me at least, was in a sense agreeing with you: Take rumors about coaches with a grain of salt. CPJ did in fact care about recruiting, despite what some say on here.

I've always said...pay attention to what happens after a coach leaves. Skeletons usually come out of the closet.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a friend that's a coordinator for a high level GA HS program. We've signed several players from that program under both CPJ and Collins. I can tell you that it's true some HS coaches revel in the fact they can get factory programs to come calling on them every year due to the amount of talent that flows through their school. HS coaches 100% have an ego about recruiting and which schools recruit their program. Some of the stories I've heard are wild.

I can also tell you a coach won't trash a college staff in the media because coaches from that staff he's trashing may end up coaching for another school...so there's really nothing to gain by it. Collins may one day be working for another school. Let's be honest, GT isn't that big of a deal in recruiting, so it serves no purpose for a coach to talk poorly about us.

The point of the quote, for me at least, was in a sense agreeing with you: Take rumors about coaches with a grain of salt. CPJ did in fact care about recruiting, despite what some say on here.

I've always said...pay attention to what happens after a coach leaves. Skeletons usually come out of the closet.
I would add that way too many people equate "talking positively about the current coach" is the same thing as "massive trash talking on the previous coach."

JacketFan137

Banned
i have certainly heard a few different things from different coaches particularly in the metro atlanta area. i’m just a guy on the internet, not kelly q or ken suguira and my sources could be bs, but what i’ve heard is basically that paul johnson was reluctant to recruit some of the metro football factory high schools and didn’t have fantastic relationships with all of them. many of these coaches weren’t exactly thrilled about the option either and wanted their guys going to play for SEC schools/clemson/whoever running spreads.

none of the coaches were gonna turn down a kid that wanted to go to tech but they didn’t feel like paul johnson and the tech staff during that era really went out of their way to get some of their athletes that they felt like could have been good players at tech.

now my sources are also pretty biased cause their families are major supporters of some big southeastern schools so they always talk down about tech, so maybe it’s not quite as bad as they described. that being said i know for a fact paul johnson did not show face at all at my former high school for years at a time, and we were a powerhouse school always in the hunt for state (would say who but some of the users here worry me). it really lead to me personally having a lot of questions about whether his heart was really in recruiting the last few years.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think on the end kids who main interest is getting to the NFL will rarely come to GT. The key to me is getting 3 stars with significant upside to come to GT and coach them up. It would tale a multi year Top 25 program and substantial NIL money to have us compete head to head with the top recruiting schools.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think on the end kids who main interest is getting to the NFL will rarely come to GT. The key to me is getting 3 stars with significant upside to come to GT and coach them up. It would tale a multi year Top 25 program and substantial NIL money to have us compete head to head with the top recruiting schools.
I'm not sure we would want a kid that has as his only or main interest going to the NFL, that just doesn't seem to fit the profile of a GT kid that I've seen over the years, maybe an exception here and there.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure we would want a kid that has as his only or main interest going to the NFL, that just doesn't seem to fit the profile of a GT kid that I've seen over the years, maybe an exception here and there.
Why woukd we not want players like Calvin Johnson, Darryl Richard, Michael Johnson, and many others who have aspirations of making the NFL, but also value a great education?