General News about Key and his Staff

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Catch 22. Having UGA win a National Championship and Tech have 3 straight 3 win seasons has gotten some of the higher ups (President Cabrera) and money people off the schneid. CPJ was a victim of the fact he showed he could be 'good enough' with less money. If what needed to happen to motivate this had happened under him, he'd have been canned though.
I am overly optimistic in general about things. My perspective is that if Geoff had won 5 games last year and 7 this year, things would have been status quo in our AA. Things got so historically bad that for the first time in a lifetime, it looks like people at the top sat up and took notice. I am hopeful that now that the CEO has his hand in the cookie jar ( as opposed to turning a blind eye to the whole thing), we can climb out of the ennui that has settled over our major programs in the last 10-20 years. I know that people will scoff at this idea but I did preface my comment with the fact that I generally err on the side of optimism

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am overly optimistic in general about things. My perspective is that if Geoff had won 5 games last year and 7 this year, things would have been status quo in our AA. Things got so historically bad that for the first time in a lifetime, it looks like people at the top sat up and took notice. I am hopeful that now that the CEO has his hand in the cookie jar ( as opposed to turning a blind eye to the whole thing), we can climb out of the ennui that has settled over our major programs in the last 10-20 years. I know that people will scoff at this idea but I did preface my comment with the fact that I generally err on the side of optimism
Totally agree. My exact sentiments.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That extra money for staff Key got? Looks like he's starting to put it to use. From what I've heard, the off the field hires are not over with...more hires to help out Key and the staff are coming.

Looks good on paper, but with all things, it's the results on the field that matters. I really like the way Key has been methodical, and strategic about the hires. These are all hires that will have a return on the field. Not saying hires like social media guru and marketing isn't important...in this day and age of social media it definitely is for recruiting purposes, but I think Key understands if he doesn't win, none of that matters.

As I said previously, I'm really excited to see what Key can do with a full offseason under his management.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I also like how a lot of the hires have ties to the state of Georgia and the high schools here in particular. Those relationships should pay off down the road when it comes to recruiting. Lots to be encouraged about.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Now we have a leadership team that all seems to be rowing in the same direction
I used to tell my squad all the time, "it's ok if you b!+@#, so long as you row on count". I had guys that didn't like the conflicts personality-wise, but it was always better to put the issues on the table and deal with it directly.

I'm excited to see how the new leadership team is doing now and for the future.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ had this level of top-down support and financial commitment, GT would have competed for a national title. (and I say this knowing full well that he didn't always ingratiate himself to the top... even if it wouldn't have mattered, b/c I don't believe they were as capable as these top guys)
There is no way to prove this one way or the other. But I am more than happy that we are giving more attention to football. My suspicion is if Key can get this back on track, the next target will be Men's Basketball. Maybe improving staff to help with recruiting will help multiple sports.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That extra money for staff Key got? Looks like he's starting to put it to use. From what I've heard, the off the field hires are not over with...more hires to help out Key and the staff are coming.....

So you uh .. hear anything about on-field sideline management positions? Who me? No I'm not nervous ...

Reaction Nervous GIF

On a serious note, totally agree with your sentiment here. We lamented not being in the staff 'arms race'. Now it seems like we're atleast trying, which is miles beyond where we were. Now we just need results.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ had this level of top-down support and financial commitment, GT would have competed for a national title. (and I say this knowing full well that he didn't always ingratiate himself to the top... even if it wouldn't have mattered, b/c I don't believe they were as capable as these top guys)

How is that relevant to.our current staff

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
I felt it was a really bad sign he and Choice both made lateral moves away from their Alma mater. That told me that they felt things were very bad with no signs of getting better.

Now, I think it’s equally a good sign that he was willing to come right back so quickly with Key in charge. I see this as a sign that he sees the main problem has been solved if the quick 4-4 turnaround wasn’t enough of a sign. The main problem is g(eoff)one.
Choice more than doubled his salary moving away from Tech. He put himself in a top 5 RB coach position in the nation. That’s not moving laterally.
Coleman added another 100K. That could be argued as lateral for a guy who spent 13 years in the NFL.
Agreed on it being a good sign Coleman is coming back. Choice is gone from Tech unless we offer him OC or HC. We cant afford 722k for a running back coach.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Choice more than doubled his salary moving away from Tech. He put himself in a top 5 RB coach position in the nation. That’s not moving laterally.
Coleman added another 100K. That could be argued as lateral for a guy who spent 13 years in the NFL.
Agreed on it being a good sign Coleman is coming back. Choice is gone from Tech unless we offer him OC or HC. We cant afford 722k for a running back coach.
I mean with the increase in assistant pool money we have, we could afford it but we’d have to sacrifice off field support. In todays world, those off field positions can be just as critical so not smart to cut those.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Probably the best turn of events since Homer Rice was hired. But I’ve been wrong before.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Just listening to a post by Wreck Talk who counted up six National Championship rings on our new staff.

Not sure how many we had under the previous administration, but when guys have coached (or played) and won national titles, that suggests to me the possibility that they may be able to find their way back to the mountain-top as a result of having travelled that path before.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes failure is the best teacher. Perhaps historic failure will result in historic improvement.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That extra money for staff Key got? Looks like he's starting to put it to use. From what I've heard, the off the field hires are not over with...more hires to help out Key and the staff are coming.

Looks good on paper, but with all things, it's the results on the field that matters. I really like the way Key has been methodical, and strategic about the hires. These are all hires that will have a return on the field. Not saying hires like social media guru and marketing isn't important...in this day and age of social media it definitely is for recruiting purposes, but I think Key understands if he doesn't win, none of that matters.

As I said previously, I'm really excited to see what Key can do with a full offseason under his management.
I think Duke's performance this year got a lot of attention. We've met the ante and raised.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
With regards to the coaching changes on defense. If you look at the PFF grades from the various position groups, only the DBs were graded well above average. For the DL, Keion White was very good, as was Douse, but most of the other DL scored below average in the PFF grades. As for the LBs, even with Eley and CTIII racking up tackles, their PFF grades were only average compared to other LBs.

The scores below reflect only those who reached minimum number of snaps.

PlayerPositionPFF Grade
D'Quan DouseDT75.2
Akelo StoneDT56.5
Makius ScottDT55.0
Zeek BiggersDT54.3
Keion WhiteEdge72.5
Sylvain YondjouenEdge67.0
Kyle KennardEdge50.2
Charlie ThomasLB65.2
Ayinde EleyLB63.3
LaMiles BrooksSafety81.5
Clayton Powell-LeeSafety71.2
Jaylon KingSafety58.5
Zamari WaltonCB74.5
Miles SimsCB68.9
K.J. WallaceCB51.1

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Key impresses me with how he goes about doing what needs to be done, We need players? Hire coaches that have track record of being really good recruiters. Hire a great HS coach liaison. He goes and gets what he needs to get the job done, seems to keep personal feelings out of it. That is really good IMO, hard for many to do. Want to recruit your home state and a few of surrounding states, hire good recruiters for those states.
It really helps when he has a school Pres, AD, supporters working as a team to give him as best they can what he needs. Everyday gives me more and more confidence that we're headed in the right direction after what seems a long, long time.
The man had given this some thought before he ever was offered the job, has a plan and seems to be executing.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think Duke's performance this year got a lot of attention. We've met the ante and raised.
I attended two Duke games this year. The big improvement I saw was a very good quarterback that stayed healthy. The other observation was interviews with the players who were inspired with desire to be good and confidence instilled by Elko. I think we are on the same sort of trajectory but I think we have a higher ceiling than Duke. I really like the staff that Key is building.