General News about Key and his Staff

Techster

Helluva Engineer
nope look up the name (Buster Faulkner)

Man, I really hope not. I thought Barbay would have been a mediocre hire, but Faulkner (after some research) would REALLY have me questioning the attractiveness of the GT job. Maybe @RamblinRed just might be right. Even with the largest pot for assistant coaches GT has ever had, our job is viewed unfavorably by the coaching world.

I was hoping for an early Christmas present for GT football, but it's sounding like GT fans were a bit lofty with our expectations for Key's offensive staff.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Man, I really hope not. I thought Barbay would have been a mediocre hire, but Faulkner (after some research) would REALLY have me questioning the attractiveness of the GT job. Maybe @RamblinRed just might be right. Even with the largest pot for assistant coaches GT has ever had, our job is viewed unfavorably by the coaching world.

I was hoping for an early Christmas present for GT football, but it's sounding like GT fans were a bit lofty with our expectations for Key's offensive staff.

I just find it hard to believe we would throw away 800k on longs salary just to hire a quality control coach as the new OC. I hope we aren’t that stupid

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just find it hard to believe we would throw away 800k on longs salary just to hire a quality control coach as the new OC. I hope we aren’t that stupid

He was OC at Middle TN, Arkansas State, and Southern Miss. His OC track record is...well, quite underwhelming.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ahhh like The brand names. Got it.

No, I actually wanted Bryan Ellis who coached at both GA Southern and W Kentucky and had high OFEIs at both places.

Faulkner's offenses were...well, below Barbay's offenses. Maybe I did some bad research (it happens)...please let me know what you found in terms of his OFEIs at MTSU, Southern Miss, and Arkansas State that leads you to believe he would be a solid hire for GT.

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer
He was OC at Middle TN, Arkansas State, and Southern Miss. His OC track record is...well, quite underwhelming.
I understand what he was but he’s currently a quality control coach. His resume is not something I would say “we gotta get rid of long to get this guy.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I understand what he was but he’s currently a quality control coach. His resume is not something I would say “we gotta get rid of long to get this guy.”

Re-read what I wrote. I'm not at all impressed with Faulkner...despite what Stetson Bennett said about him. Chip Long had quite a few players that raved about him at Notre Dame...so 🤷‍♂️

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
No, I actually wanted Bryan Ellis who coached at both GA Southern and W Kentucky and had high OFEIs at both places.

Faulkner's offenses were...well, below Barbay's offenses. Maybe I did some bad research (it happens)...please let me know what you found in terms of his OFEIs at MTSU, Southern Miss, and Arkansas State that leads you to believe he would be a solid hire for GT.
Here's the link. I didn't write them down but at a glance thought they weren't bad. Waaaay better then the last four years here, that's for sure.