General News about Key and his Staff

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It's not an issue of dollars. Fritz and Tech agreed on the number. Fritz wanted it guaranteed, Tech wanted it incentivized. The GTAA does not have the bucks to guarantee payoffs after mailing a check for $10M.
If we had it to pay in incentives then we had it to pay in guaranteed money too. You don’t sign a contract with kickers your can’t cover.

Sounds more to me that we valued WF differently than he did and - as has been previously reported elsewhere he wanted a guarantee (at a time when it’s likely he might just retire) and we said no - you want the money show us you think you can earn it and will bet on yourself.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Have to disagree. We have been burned on this play this season a half dozen times + twice bad throws prevented two more big plays. White. Collins, and Kennard have all been victims. On this occasion the safety seems to be in coverage chasing a receiver across the middle of the field. Other coaches have figured this out and set us up nicely. This works only if your pass rush is predictable enough to force a quick throw. We aren't there yet.
It’s just a fire zone blitz. The idea is you bring pressure from the linebacker/db spot and drop the DE to confuse their blocking. We ran it all the time during Tenutas tenure. Just like any other blitz, the issue becomes when the pressure doesn’t get home. The DE is supposed to cover the flat. The zone behind him got sucked inside to cover that receiver and they ran wheel routes behind it.
FSU used their off week well and scouted this. Add in their QB is harder to catch than a greased pig and he escaped pressure while looking for a wheel route ran against this pressure.

It isn’t some big scheme mess up, no more than throwing a screen when someone brings six is. It’s just calling the right play against something we had success with previously and they wanted to take advantage of

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we had it to pay in incentives then we had it to pay in guaranteed money too. You don’t sign a contract with kickers your can’t cover.

Sounds more to me that we valued WF differently than he did and - as has been previously reported elsewhere he wanted a guarantee (at a time when it’s likely he might just retire) and we said no - you want the money show us you think you can earn it and will bet on yourself.
Wrong. If the incentive is to win and go to a bowl, Tech gets paid for that. Properly structured, more revenue is available and more can be applied to variable comp.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
Can we kill the Godsey talk? He hasn't coached in college in 12 years and his NFL offenses have been mediocre at best. That's hiring a guy purely because he's a Tech guy, and that's bad process. Go hire a good, innovative OC, and ignore where they got their degree from.
This ☝️
We need something innovative, not typical NFL pro-style. This is the classic 'trying to get the band back together'.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
Wondering where you saw that. He’s still listed on ramblinwreck.com, but they just may be slow. Fired or resigned?
Yeah, curious who's call this was. I would LOVE to get D-Mo back to the Flats.

Edited to add - I know they're two different positions on the staff but felt like to me (if the rumor that TFG let D-Mo go is true) it was because he wanted Carralla to be the 'motivational' guy.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm. I thought the play calling was good. We had a couple of bad drops and a couple of debatable catches that were ruled incomplete. I’m not saying we would have won if those went our way, but things would have been different. We were playing the #1 team with the #1 defense. We couldn’t afford drops and we needed the debatable calls to go our way. I thought we looked like a football team with a coherent plan.
Oh I agree things didn’t go our way, but overall we had (-2) second half yards before the last scoring drive. I get they’re #1 defense. But negative total yards over the majority of a half doesn’t happen with good play calling.

To be fair, I guess we were ok at other times in the first half, but it never felt fluid after Leonard dropped the pass.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Oh I agree things didn’t go our way, but overall we had (-2) second half yards before the last scoring drive. I get they’re #1 defense. But negative total yards over the majority of a half doesn’t happen with good play calling.

To be fair, I guess we were ok at other times in the first half, but it never felt fluid after Leonard dropped the pass.
Kinda disingenuous. Yeah, our 2nd half performance was worse, but I don’t really think it’s indicative of poor play calling.

Our first drive of the second half we had 4th and 5 and a bad snap cost us 13 yards, so we technically had -8 on the drive. The second drive ended in one play with zero yards because of a fumble.

Can you really blame that on poor play calling? Poor execution, sure. Play calling not so much

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Wrong. If the incentive is to win and go to a bowl, Tech gets paid for that. Properly structured, more revenue is available and more can be applied to variable comp.
Pretty sure the ACC shares bowl revenue equally, after travel expenses.

The incremental sources of revenue would be if ticket sales and contributions increased subsequent to the coach meeting the performance targets. Personally while I think there may be some potential here, in this day and age and with GT's fan base I'm not sure how significant the tie would be.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Pure speculation, but that’s why we are here, right? I’m willing to bet this (S&C) was Key’s first official move as HC.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the ACC shares bowl revenue equally, after travel expenses.

The incremental sources of revenue would be if ticket sales and contributions increased subsequent to the coach meeting the performance targets. Personally while I think there may be some potential here, in this day and age and with GT's fan base I'm not sure how significant the tie would be.
I don’t think the value of incentive-based comp are nearly as much “if you do well we’ll have the revenue to pay it” as “if you do poorly that million bucks will be useful to buy out you and/or pay the buyout of the next guy”