General News about Key and his Staff

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not yet, but it's likely coming. Saw recently where he admitted to giving a recruits mother a Chick-fil-a bag filled with money.

Yeah, he is not coming here or anywhere for a year or two. Then, Auburn or Bama will snatch him up. They can always use a good bag man.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Chip Long did not impress in his prior OC gig and not impressing me at GT, either before or after CGC. We need a big improvement in OC and offensive planning/playcalling. DC Thacker, I can live with him being retained, but I would be open to a more aggressive/proven DC as well. Just hope we don't hire another Chip Long, which has a below average track record in the first place.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't come to ATL to raise kids. I've been here most of my life, spent most of it wihin 20 mins of campus raising a family, and, IMO, the greater ATL area is certainly not what it used to be. The worst part among many factors is the traffic. Horrible and ATL's growth is making it worse by the year. We're looking to move when I retire in 2023 and I've been reading good things also about Huntsville.
I don't get why in 2022 metro ATL still doesn't want to expand Marta rail service to the exurbs. I too grew up in the ATL and I have also lived in Boston and DC. Both the Boston and DC areas have around the same number of people as the ATL, and they both have excellent and extensive rail systems. (I didn't even bring a car to Massachusetts.) The DMV was able to coordinate the Metro rail system across two states and District of Columbia. Today you can Metro from Greenbelt, MD to Dulles international Airport, ~40 miles by car

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I understand you're not gloating, but you have to give credit to HCBK. Everyone can see that OCCL was a mistake and HCBK made the decision to remove the mistake. Former ADTS didn't do this, he doubled down on his mistake. OCCL had the credentials, but also questions. Key didn't beg and plead for Long, but when asked said sure (and it wasn't his position to hire Long). Then he saw what a horrible decision it was and he ripped it off like a bandaid when he had the chance. Of course the best thing to do is to never make a mistake, but you yourself have stated that leaders learn from their mistakes. I'm giving HCBK points for this move.
Leaders lead and posters comment.

Coaches are hired and fired and hired and quit and etc.

ADTSTAN allowed TFG to quickly get a staff from g5 or less by payimultiples es on past salary. That group was fired after 3 years and 100-0. THE PREZ showed real leadership by making TFG get new Staff.
I WAS WRONG ABOUT KNIGHT - he has coached / recruited DL. Hope he Stays
THACK - his chaos defense was great in second half of several games. He will be a DC somewhere in a few years. Hope he stays.

The DB coaches have grestly out performed the previous. .

Best defense at gt in years

The new group including OC long are way better than that group..

I am glad we are changing strength coach.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Not yet, but it's likely coming. Saw recently where he admitted to giving a recruits mother a Chick-fil-a bag filled with money.

C'mon man, who hasn't given a lady a couple of bucks and a bag of chicken nuggets hoping for a good outcome.
chick fil a man GIF

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't come to ATL to raise kids. I've been here most of my life, spent most of it wihin 20 mins of campus raising a family, and, IMO, the greater ATL area is certainly not what it used to be. The worst part among many factors is the traffic. Horrible and ATL's growth is making it worse by the year. We're looking to move when I retire in 2023 and I've been reading good things also about Huntsville.

Yeah, I am way up north (still metro Atlanta), maybe 35 miles as crow flies to GT, and traffic is a nightmare all day long, NOT just morning and evening rush hour. Every time I go out I see a new housing developement or townhome or worse, huge apartment complex and never are the roads being widened or are new roads being built. The east-west state highways are now too congested. I guess its the new norm with over-population. To think some businessmen/celebrities think we're in danger of under-population in the next 20 years. I sure don't see it. I feel bad for those that moved out to the sticks 15 years ago to get away from the noise/pollution/traffic only to see dozens of new housing projects all around them and now noise/traffic/pollution. At this point, I think I'd have to go out to Ellijay or Dahlonega to get far enough north to avoid the sprawl for the next 10 years. In 20 years, they'll be just like Marietta/Roswell is now...a mess. Maybe I need to go to Alaska and hope the cold keeps the hoards away?

They should have kept a minimum lot size for homes and maximum unit size for apartments in place in some of these cities/counties. My subdivision is so tiny that cars are parked all along the narrow roads, so you have to swerve in and out. I blame greedy developers and on-the-take council members. Such a shame they can squeeze in homes on top of each other AND have such small lots/driveways that you have to park on a narrow two-way road. Should be criminal. THIS is the cause of traffic issues, too much growth in too dense of an area. CORRUPTION has never been worse than today.

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
I don't get why in 2022 metro ATL still doesn't want to expand Marta rail service to the exurbs. I too grew up in the ATL and I have also lived in Boston and DC. Both the Boston and DC areas have around the same number of people as the ATL, and they both have excellent and extensive rail systems. (I didn't even bring a car to Massachusetts.) The DMV was able to coordinate the Metro rail system across two states and District of Columbia. Today you can Metro from Greenbelt, MD to Dulles international Airport, ~40 miles by car
Cobb and Gwinett Counties have voted "NO" to MARTA service at least a few times, if not more. They don't want Atlanta coming to them. I don't blame them, at least 50% of my trips on MARTA some crazy s__t happens that would make most uneasy to say the least.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Running the risk of derailing the thread, but it is due to how Marta's charter is written and that it is not funded by the state, legally limited to only the 5 core counties of Atlanta, and a lot of long standing issues with expansion planning and the like: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Atlanta_Rapid_Transit_Authority

Despite all of this, Marta is the 8th largest system by ridership in the US, but it could be so much larger and more efficient than it is. At this point I think we need 2 things, 1 more bus rapid (we have already built the main infrastructure - the roads) and 2 a rebrand or joint operation of Marta with a well known transportation brand like Delta.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
NIL doesn't work that way. We can't just cut players a check from the AA. A booster has to hire the kid for his Name, Image, or Likeness. If we have a booster who owns a Car Dealership they can have the player come in for a meet and greet at the dealership and pay him for that. We may could help with some coordination from the AA but it isn't cash from the AA.

I don't think the cash we would need to keep our current kids is all that high. The main guys that would require a large NIL are graduating (Thomas, Ace, etc). We had 7 guys make all ACC, 6 of those were 3rd team or honorable mention. I don't think the Bama's and UGA's of the world have Boosters ponying up the big bucks for that type of player production.

I think we could keep McCollum if we can get him a decent NIL. The other guys currently in the portal can stay there.

I understand how it works and McCollum was who I’d like back. The same guys writing the giant checks to GT are the same ones that could set up NIL stuff.

It’s funny how some of the big schools transitioned into this new NIL world so quickly, lol. Same crap they’d been doing for years but now it’s legal.