General News about Key and his Staff

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Key to go with the winner of today's game, Brent Davis or Ivin Jasper.

Sorry stech, neither one's rockin much in the hair department
Nope, no hair here:

1670686430560.png

1670686511949.png

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
It’s difficult to be patient and wait for OC announcement when the head coach shuffling has gone on in numerous places and those coaches have filled out their staff overnight (or so it seems) and we’re still waiting 10 days post hiring. Really curious to see who the OC will be.
I have a hunch that a few names were mentioned and discussed during BK's interview with ADJB.

Wouldn't you have wanted to know what BK was thinking in regard to the OC position?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Kevin Barbay. Hearing chatter in that direction.
If the current published salary of 300K is correct, he could get a nice bump without breaking the bank. the fact he has had offense success at his last 2 stops (Central Michigan and App State) would give him a chance to go to Power 5 and longer term set him up for a head coaching job. App St. was mediocre this year but the offense seemed to perform well throughout the year. What (if any) is his connection with any member of the GT staff?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kevin Barbay. Hearing chatter in that direction.

Don't feel as good about him as I would a Bryan Ellis or Seth Littrel.

He did improve App State's offense some. From OFEI of #53 in 2021 to #36 his first year at App State in 2022.

However, his time at Central Michigan was very mediocre to poor.

2021 #88
2020 #67 (6 games)
2019 #73

Honestly, I would feel disappointed in this hire given the other names that have been talked about, and the amount of money we have to spend on an OC.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Don't feel as good about him as I would a Bryan Ellis or Seth Littrel.

He did improve App State's offense some. From OFEI of #53 in 2021 to #36 his first year at App State in 2022.

However, his time at Central Michigan was very mediocre to poor.

2021 #88
2020 #67 (6 games)
2019 #73

Honestly, I would feel disappointed in this hire given the other names that have been talked about, and the amount of money we have to spend on an OC.
He was only offensive coordinator for CMU in 2021. He was just QB coach prior to that. Their OFEI numbers might not look great for 2021 but they were 24th in yards per game and 34th in points.

This year App State was 25th in yards/game and 24th in points. I would imagine CMU’s weaker schedule plays a decent factor in why they are rated so low in OFEI. You’ve gotta put up ungodly numbers in those mid-to-low tier G5 conferences to get any love from the metrics.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought for OC: Tulane's Jim Svoboda. Couldn't get Fritz, but why not get the guy that had a huge part in helping Fritz's offense and team succeed this year.

Fixed Tulane's offense that was run by Chip Long (OFEI #74 in 2021) to an OFEI of #31 this year. Was a record setting coach at lower levels with high powered offenses. His offense was almost unstoppable the second half of the season.

Something to think about.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Barbay would be a massively underwhelming hire to me. And just to hop in on the OFEI discussion and dismiss the notion (which is not how it works) that it's because of the conference they are in ... look at their conference's OFEI rankings in 2021 which is readily available. Tell me where they rank. To save you the time .... they were 7th out of a 12 team conference behind powerhouse offenses such as Western Michigan, Kent State, Northern Illinoios, Eastern Michigan, Miami and Toledo.

So we'd be hiring a middle-of-the-pack Mid American Conference OC and you'd call that a win when the OC has no track record of actual improving an offense significantly previous/post years? We should have higher expectations than this.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought for OC: Tulane's Jim Svoboda. Couldn't get Fritz, but why not get the guy that had a huge part in helping Fritz's offense and team succeed this year.

Fixed Tulane's offense that was run by Chip Long (OFEI #74 in 2021) to an OFEI of #31 this year. Was a record setting coach at lower levels with high powered offenses. His offense was almost unstoppable the second half of the season.

Something to think about.
Tulane has one heck of a running back and that helps.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Barbay would not be an ideal hire. We need someone with more than 2 years of OC experience imo. Even Long and Patenaude had better resumes than this guy…go get Littrell. He checks all the boxes and has run top offenses at multiple P5 schools.