General issues with branding and fan apparel

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I decided to poke around and see what more I could find on this topic.

In short, GTAA does not break out merchandise sales or related royalties on their financial statements. They are included as a sub-item under "Radio Rights" which includes revenues generated by advertising in all forms including facility signage, print, radio and apparel-related licensing. It has largely been stable around $5.5M for the last ten years although it took a big drop as GTAA hired a new company (Legends) to manage all the various revenue streams under one umbrella organization.

Simply put, it appears that the priority is increasing premium seating, selling naming rights, and finding avenues for other sellable multimedia. Royalties from merchandise sales do not appear to be a growth area (assumption based on flat revenues for some time, but I could be wrong), so the attention is on bigger swings. Selling the Hyundai naming rights is one win.

I would not get my hopes up over major changes to the merchandise program. It's all contracted out now and there are bigger fish to catch.

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
The smaller market once again isn’t a valid excuse. There are way smaller schools with good looking stuff. We as a fan base need to get over the mentality of mediocrity.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So? That makes Navy 22.5%.
1721232197986.png

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The smaller market once again isn’t a valid excuse. There are way smaller schools with good looking stuff. We as a fan base need to get over the mentality of mediocrity
It is and it isn’t. Some schools still manage their merchandise internally. They do well. Tech doesn’t. And hasn’t for some time.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The smaller market once again isn’t a valid excuse. There are way smaller schools with good looking stuff. We as a fan base need to get over the mentality of mediocrity.
Once again, the problem is that retailer will not carry GT gear. It doesn't matter if it looks good or does not look good. Retailers will not carry it. To get ANY gear, GT fans need to buy what is available so that retailers will begin to carry more. It is the fault of the fans.

Section103 has some good looking stuff. Go there and buy some.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Once again, the problem is that retailer will not carry GT gear. It doesn't matter if it looks good or does not look good. Retailers will not carry it. To get ANY gear, GT fans need to buy what is available so that retailers will begin to carry more. It is the fault of the fans.

Section103 has some good looking stuff. Go there and buy some.
It isn’t that simple. Tech contracted its merchandise to Fanatics (since changed) years ago and is largely hands off. Mailbox money.

Retail has been challenged for some time. They are measured in gross margin dollars per sq foot and sell through rate. Tech stuff has poor sell through and is typically discounted. Double fail.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
That's quite a leap from excusing blue clothing to an indictment of the entire fan base's attitude.

There are two truisms on GT boards that are apparent if you've frequented them long enough. One, threads on uniforms and colors get attention way out of proportion to actually important things like wins/losses, and two, a portion of the fanbase will always say we are accepting mediocrity if we accept anything less than near perfection. You've managed to do both in one post, congratulations.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
So if you were a retailer, what GT products would you order and put on the shelf? Would you get high quality dress shirts, that won't have enough people buy them? Would you get inexpensive low quality t-shirts that not enough people would buy? No matter what you get, it isn't going to sell. Maybe the GT fans are SO diverse that only one person actually desires any specific product?

I remember that in 2015 there was a sleeve of Blu-rays of the Orange Bowl at my local Walmart. I believe there were two sleeves of Blu-rays of the Belk Bowl (mutts bowl game from 2014). The Belk Bowl sold out within a couple of weeks. The one sleeve of GT's bowl game was still more than half available the next Black Friday, and was priced down to only a few dollars per Blu-ray. Eventually it just disappeared. I never saw it have a marked reduction in number available. I make an assumption that they just threw them away. That is something that there is only one quality of.

My point it that retailers refuse to carry GT gear because they are almost guaranteed to lose money if they do. It isn't for any of the common reasons that we fans proclaim it to be. Mutt gear isn't in stores because Nike pushes stores to carry it. It is there because retailers know that it will sell, and they will make money. It isn't the fault of Adidas. It isn't the fault of marketing from GT not doing their job. It is because retailers know that GT gear will not sell.
Exactly! The solution is for ALL OF US to quit being cheap ba$tard$ and buy more GT gear. I've been guilty of making many of the same lame arguments...but it's really just excuses.

Buy more GT gear (especially gold gear) and more GT gear will appear in stores.

Again, https://www.section103.com/ is a great GT alum run company that makes great GT gear (including NIL Jersey Shirts for several players).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Buy more GT gear (especially gold gear) and more GT gear will appear in stores.
Probably not. First, college merchandise royalties are a roughly $5B industry. Tech isn't even in the top 25 and probably not the top 40. Second, retailers are judged on Gross Margin Return on Inventory. Products that don't sell quickly usually get discounted quickly to move them. That hurts GMROI and lowers replenishment orders. What I have seen more schools do lately is create new products, especially "throwbacks", "vintage", and "special editions". Those DO sell but productions are limited. And you need a dedicated creative team to put those together - I am not aware that Tech has a team or has contracted anyone to do so. Perhaps they have?

I know Fanatics used to manage Tech's retail operations, but Legends has taken it over. From GTAA financial statements, it isn't clear to me that merch sales have moved at all over the last ten years. They usually move some after a big season, but Tech's total royalties have remained mostly flat. I doubt that they put much effort into now which is why it's outsourced. There are bigger opportunities in premium seating and fan experience than merch.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest problem with fan apparel is that nobody buys GT fan apparel or swag. It doesn't matter if it is the correct color or not. It doesn't matter if it is expensive or inexpensive. Nobody will buy it.

IF your local ****'s or Academy Sports has GT apparel, it will likely be a small selection of t-shirts. There will be shelving units and hangers full of mutt gear, and possible Alabama or Auburn gear. If you go to the store every week, you will see the mutt, Alabama, and Auburn gear dwindle down in a few weeks. The GT gear will still be on the shelf for months, and will finally go on clearance pricing. I have seen this many times.

A few years ago, there was a loud clamor for the "T" hats that the baseball team wore. People were on forums demanding that those become available for purchase. When they did become available, the same people were complaining about the price, the availability limited to the bookstore, and even down to angle of the stitching in the embroidery of the "T". The same people who were demanding that it be available for purchase, were declaring that they would not buy it because of X, Y, and Z.

If GT fans really want to see more fan apparel, then we need to buy more fan apparel as a group. I am planning to purchase some more t-shirts from Secsion103 before the season starts. He has a good selection available. Let's as a group buy so much from people like him that other retailers have to pay attention and start selling more items. They will only do that if they believe it will sell. Hitting the correct color, or the correct price point will not cause them to carry more. Only fans buying more will get them to carry more.
I found Key’s cutoff sweatshirt that he wears to pretty much every practice and game

Buying 1 because I love the man so far

I’m buying 2 if we beat fsu

Last edited:

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
The smaller market once again isn’t a valid excuse. There are way smaller schools with good looking stuff. We as a fan base need to get over the mentality of mediocrity

That's quite a leap from excusing blue clothing to an indictment of the entire fan base's attitude.

There are two truisms on GT boards that are apparent if you've frequented them long enough. One, threads on uniforms and colors get attention way out of proportion to actually important things like wins/losses, and two, a portion of the fanbase will always say we are accepting mediocrity if we accept anything less than near perfection. You've managed to do both in one post, congratulations.
Thanks 🤣 you are correct tho. End of day we just need to win!