General issues with branding and fan apparel

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if it’s been posted and also not trying to beat a dead horse here, but this has gone on way too long. I understand that there was a small push within athletics to get away from Adidas, and I am hopeful since we only re upped for two years. But why does the GT AA refuse to just use our colors and keep Adidas accountable to any sort of standards? If anyone has any idea why I would love to know. I’ve attached a few examples of some gear you can buy that atleast to me just looks plain tacky. The stadium is also covered in more Blue (not even Navy) than anything else. If you would ask anyone who is playing the new video game what our colors were they would tell you blue and yellow. At the end of the day I just want to win, but it just feels like another thing we can’t do right. View attachment 16375View attachment 16376
It’s ridiculous man. Keep fighting the good fight! We all have to keep bringing this up to GT and on social media so hopefully at one point they can actually change

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Heads up. GT had to submit their colors to EA Sports for the new game. They said the primary color is NAVY and secondary is GOLD.

Do with that what you will, but sounds like navy is going to be around for a long time.
And where did you see that? I actually don’t think this is true. I think it’s more EA did what they want and we didn’t correct them

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Tech has 3 primary colors:
Tech Gold (PMS 4515), Navy Blue (PMS 540) and White.

That in itself is a change as Navy was a Secondary color (less than 10%).

My guess is in digital applications, Tech Gold will not reproduce accurately, hence navy.

So yes. Tech is elevating Navy. Looks like Old Gold, our traditional color, is out.
That’s not true. GT is the White and Gold
IMG_2392.jpeg

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah my only complaint about the new game is that the crowd is good and navy, but mostly navy. Even the cheerleaders are navy heavy. The band is navy. I hate it.

I thought maybe EA got lazy on us a bit but someone said Tech submitted their colors to EA as navy and gold? If that's true, then I'm super disappointed.

At 32, I'm feeling like an old man yelling at clouds with this one.

And yes. The navy apparel in stores is maddening
I don’t think the part about EA is true at all. I think it’s just the GTAA is lazy/doesnt care to fix those issues

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Im referring to what we told EA. Every sane GT person knows our main colors are white and gold

And every person that can read knows Navy is also a primary Georgia Tech color, no matter how much you dislike it. You were responding to a post that said GT has 3 primary colors (true) with the statement "Not true" and asserting that GT is White and Gold only (false).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The biggest problem with fan apparel is that nobody buys GT fan apparel or swag. It doesn't matter if it is the correct color or not. It doesn't matter if it is expensive or inexpensive. Nobody will buy it.

IF your local ****'s or Academy Sports has GT apparel, it will likely be a small selection of t-shirts. There will be shelving units and hangers full of mutt gear, and possible Alabama or Auburn gear. If you go to the store every week, you will see the mutt, Alabama, and Auburn gear dwindle down in a few weeks. The GT gear will still be on the shelf for months, and will finally go on clearance pricing. I have seen this many times.

A few years ago, there was a loud clamor for the "T" hats that the baseball team wore. People were on forums demanding that those become available for purchase. When they did become available, the same people were complaining about the price, the availability limited to the bookstore, and even down to angle of the stitching in the embroidery of the "T". The same people who were demanding that it be available for purchase, were declaring that they would not buy it because of X, Y, and Z.

If GT fans really want to see more fan apparel, then we need to buy more fan apparel as a group. I am planning to purchase some more t-shirts from Secsion103 before the season starts. He has a good selection available. Let's as a group buy so much from people like him that other retailers have to pay attention and start selling more items. They will only do that if they believe it will sell. Hitting the correct color, or the correct price point will not cause them to carry more. Only fans buying more will get them to carry more.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest problem with fan apparel is that nobody buys GT fan apparel or swag. It doesn't matter if it is the correct color or not. It doesn't matter if it is expensive or inexpensive. Nobody will buy it.

IF your local ****'s or Academy Sports has GT apparel, it will likely be a small selection of t-shirts. There will be shelving units and hangers full of mutt gear, and possible Alabama or Auburn gear. If you go to the store every week, you will see the mutt, Alabama, and Auburn gear dwindle down in a few weeks. The GT gear will still be on the shelf for months, and will finally go on clearance pricing. I have seen this many times.

A few years ago, there was a loud clamor for the "T" hats that the baseball team wore. People were on forums demanding that those become available for purchase. When they did become available, the same people were complaining about the price, the availability limited to the bookstore, and even down to angle of the stitching in the embroidery of the "T". The same people who were demanding that it be available for purchase, were declaring that they would not buy it because of X, Y, and Z.

If GT fans really want to see more fan apparel, then we need to buy more fan apparel as a group. I am planning to purchase some more t-shirts from Secsion103 before the season starts. He has a good selection available. Let's as a group buy so much from people like him that other retailers have to pay attention and start selling more items. They will only do that if they believe it will sell. Hitting the correct color, or the correct price point will not cause them to carry more. Only fans buying more will get them to carry more.
Absolutely agree 100%! Buy the gear you want and there will be more like it. Supply and Demand always works...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Welp, they've snuck the navy blue in there now! I guess we'll be singing "Up with the white and gold and blue" from now on.
Just because they say it doesn’t mean anything. There are countless examples of schools outling there colors but not following it. For example the Florida gators had green as a color on their branding guidelines for a long time. Obviously they didn’t promote or sell any Green apparel because the Gators are the Orange and Blue. In the same way that GT is the White and Gold. Any common sense GT fan knows our true colors.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It is kind of funny that the system blocked out the name of a large sports retailer because it could also be used as a vulgarity.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Just because they say it doesn’t mean anything. There are countless examples of schools outling there colors but not following it. For example the Florida gators had green as a color on their branding guidelines for a long time. Obviously they didn’t promote or sell any Green apparel because the Gators are the Orange and Blue. In the same way that GT is the White and Gold. Any common sense GT fan knows our true colors.
Try not to die on THAT hill...

If you want to change the narrative, then start buying up all the gold GT gear you can find. This is the way...

Arguing a point when the school's own website says otherwise is a fool's errand.

Schlandy

Georgia Tech Fan
It really ticks me off when people send the branding guide as an argument. The problem is that Blue is used so much in the branding guide and like was said when from 10% up to like 40. Blue isn’t one of our primary colors and shouldn’t be used as such. It is an accent color and I’m tired of all of our jerseys and apparel looking like Wish.com Notre dame stuff. I’ll buy more gear when they make something I want to buy. But as a student that just graduated, I was hard pressed to ever see something in the book store that looked remotely nice.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
It really ticks me off when people send the branding guide as an argument. The problem is that Blue is used so much in the branding guide and like was said when from 10% up to like 40. Blue isn’t one of our primary colors and shouldn’t be used as such. It is an accent color and I’m tired of all of our jerseys and apparel looking like Wish.com Notre dame stuff. I’ll buy more gear when they make something I want to buy. But as a student that just graduated, I was hard pressed to ever see something in the book store that looked remotely nice.
AMEN. Also, Some great news to think about is how we didn't weary any blue AT ALL last year for the first time in a while. That was amazing to see. Brent Key gets "it"